Friday, December 01, 2006

Schilling On Manny.....THE QUITTER

This, from this early morning's Hartford Courant, and then a comment.

"The Red Sox are expected to make a serious run at trading Manny Ramirez next week and pitcher Curt Schilling says it's the right move.
Speaking at a charity function Wednesday night in Warwick, R.I., Schilling confirmed that Ramirez has asked to be traded and voiced concern that if Ramirez is not traded, he might quit on the team. There was a lot of talk that Ramirez quit on the team the final six weeks of last season, under the guise of a knee injury.
"I think Manny is less than comfortable playing in Boston for whatever reason, that's his right," Schilling said. "I think it's gotten to the point now where there's some thought that even though Manny might stay, he might not be here if he does. And I think the belief is that trading Manny and bringing somebody in would be more valuable than having a Manny here that didn't play. I don't know that to be a fact. That is pure speculation on my part.
"I live with the guys, I have some insight. I don't know for sure. I do know that I've spoken with Manny. Manny does want to be traded. Manny wants to play somewhere else. My hope and belief is that he'll stay and play like he always has, but I'm not so sure that's the case anymore and that concerns me because in the last year in my career, I want to win the World Series."

Peter here with a look of disgust. But those words should erase any doubt that the team has to trade him. Sure, if Manny was willing to play and not sit on the bench, he is invaluable. He's one of the best hitters the Red Sox have ever had in their line up. But he does no good to the team if he doesn't want to play. And that's exactly what happened last year. The team over-glorified a playable knee situation just to hide the fact that Manny Ramirez, yes, that "Manny being Manny" guy, loveable at times, maddening at others, QUIT ON HIS TEAM. Case closed. I hope we can get two frontline pitchers for him. Or more. Bye Manny. You were great, but you crossed the line, and everyone knows it!

4 Comments:

At 12/01/2006 10:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't want to lose Manny ... but da man hasta wanta play da game ! I hate the thought of giving up that powerful batter ...

and ... btw ... i would like to add ... Schilling has a big mouth.

 
At 12/01/2006 10:08 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

He does...but he didn't cross the line by any means.....everyone knows! Manny quit.

 
At 12/01/2006 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Schilling LOVES the sound of his own voice:

He might just be "The Next Mc Carver" on "FOX Saturday Baseball", only TWICE as annoying.

 
At 12/02/2006 6:37 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

I like him

 

Post a Comment

<< Home