Saturday, February 03, 2007

Terry Francona In Hartford Talking Bullpen Issues

The skipper of the Red Sox, Terry Francona, was in Hartford yesterday looking fit, trim and ready. And he pointed out that the bullpen is the key for 2007, something that I've said over and over again. Here's a portion of the Courant article, which can be accessed by clicking on this post's title.


"I think our bullpen will dictate our success," he said. "We have a right to be optimistic, but we have to answer some questions. If we answer them successfully, this is going to be a lot of fun."
The Red Sox bolstered their team this winter, adding Julio Lugo and J.D. Drew to the offense and Daisuke Matsuzaka as a starter. But after adding Joel Pineiro, Brendan Donnelly, Hideki Okajima and J.C. Romero to the bullpen, there is still no automatic choice for closer.
Francona ruled out a return to 2003's improperly titled - and executed - closer-by-committee approach, with late-inning situations dictating usage more than predetermined roles.
"The idea of using a guy in situations, on paper, is outstanding," Francona said. "In reality, you just can't do it. You have to designate roles. We might be down a run or tied and we bring them in. That's more how I feel."
Pineiro, a converted starter from Seattle, is an early favorite to be the closer, but Francona intends to let roles work themselves out in spring training.
"It won't happen early," Francona said. "We'll tell the pitchers that. If they try to compete the first week of camp, that's not what they need to do. We need them to establish arm strength, work on mechanics and throw strikes, and then there will be the time to kick it into gear and we'll talk to them about that."

Peter here, and Terry was making sense. A role for each pitcher, not any kind of closer-by-committee kind of thing that failed so miserably four years ago. I just hope the talent is there....the names are, but some have checkered statistical pasts. The only stats this Red Sox team can afford are good ones when it comes to the '07 bullpen. And it will be a bullpen formed and structured during spring training, which makes me uneasy but hopeful.
I'll be back later on this Saturday of snow covered trees and wintery scenes. We received our first measurable snow last night, which is unusual in itself, and it's a wonderworld out there.

18 Comments:

At 2/03/2007 6:37 AM, Blogger Ian said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 2/03/2007 6:38 AM, Blogger Ian said...

That's pretty funny. I just about posted the same thing on my blog just now.

No snow for us down here on the shoreline. Well at least in West Haven.

 
At 2/03/2007 6:42 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

And at the same time! Great minds think alike, simultaneously!!! Bitter cold air on the way statewide!

 
At 2/03/2007 9:53 AM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

I love those words by Terry i think they need to establish a closer before the season starts:)

 
At 2/03/2007 10:01 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Spring training! They will, but until we have a closer, I'm a little worried, but a lot happy. How are you feeling...the cold air has arrived here, and every day thru Wed. will be 5 degrees colder. The coldest day? Wed. the high will be 10, the at night low....don't want to think about!!
Take care number one...P

 
At 2/03/2007 12:25 PM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

I trust in Tito to find the right guy ... someone with 2 good pitches, and the right makeup. You know, the kind of guy who comes in with his motor running, but not tense, cool under pressure. Thick skinned, but a sense of humor wouldn't hurt either.

 
At 2/03/2007 12:50 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Hey BFW...and that does not describe me! Maybe I'm better off writing...again, thanks for reading!!!!!!

 
At 2/03/2007 12:51 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

I am feeling better HAVE A SLIGHT fever but it was worse yesterday:[
My hand and nose ythough,are getting better as each day passes it seems=]

 
At 2/03/2007 2:20 PM, Blogger Novella said...

Ya know ... I love Tito ... I think I even have a crush on him ... LOL ! No, seriously ... I'm not kidding ... I really do.

But ... I too hope that all bullpen problems will be solved and the season is fun ... and a WINNING one too !

 
At 2/03/2007 2:26 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

hey novy dream crushes arent bad I got one on TOM BRADY:)

 
At 2/03/2007 3:38 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Gee Novy, I thought you had a crush on me! Just kidding and have a great weekend...you too dream crusher Kaylee!

 
At 2/03/2007 3:39 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

I haven't had one of those in so long K

 
At 2/03/2007 3:39 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Treadmilll time...and thanks for the great comments!

 
At 2/03/2007 3:42 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

haha I can live with that name!

 
At 2/03/2007 3:45 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

HI smiles!! Bye everyone...I know it's getting so cold!!!!! Thanks......brrrrrrr.....

 
At 2/03/2007 4:10 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

And such great comments...after I did 2 miles on the treadmill...now it's time to feed my boy, the kitty! Night!!!!!

 
At 2/03/2007 5:02 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

HMMM i kinda like that name:-)

 
At 2/04/2007 6:35 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Kaylee, from now on I name you....ta da! DREAMCRUSHER.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home