Friday, February 02, 2007

WTIC Will Continue As The Connecticut Voice Of The Red Sox

Big news here in Connecticut. WTIC had reupped with Entercom Communications to again be the voice of the Red Sox for Connecticut, and much of the east coast. This from the Courant, and then a comment......

"Red Sox games on WTIC-AM became a yearly occurrence starting in 1960, but the relationship goes back a full 50 years. That relationship will now extend to 2007 and beyond.
WTIC 1080 signed a multiyear contract Thursday with Entercom Communications, keeping the Red Sox on the 50,000-watt station based in Farmington. Terms of the deal were not released.
The announcement comes three months after WTIC flirted with becoming an affiliate of the Yankees.
"We're thrilled our longest partner is back with us," Red Sox vice president of broadcast services Chuck Steedman said. "They were never away. For us, WTIC is synonymous with Connecticut, and we like to think we're a big part of that. Fifty years in one place is pretty amazing. It's really important that a very loud and clear voice like WTIC be the beacon for us."

Peter here. The entire article is linked when you click on the title of this post. WTIC, with its 50,000 watts of AM power, can be heard all the way to the Carolinas at night. I remember oh so well sitting in the driveway of the house we rented in Lancaster Penn., where I attended college, listening to the Sox play on the car radio. 300 miles from Hartford!
Congrats WTIC....we'll be listening. And, oh yeah....I LIVE in Farmington. Talk about a hometown treat!

21 Comments:

At 2/02/2007 9:49 AM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

I don't think even my best crystal set will be able to pick that up, though.

I think I'll look into signing up with DirecTV's NES station. Do they ever televise the spring training games?

 
At 2/02/2007 10:12 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Hi to you, my sometimes editor, or rudder pointing me in the right direction (AWAY from the iceberg!). I don't know much about sat. dishes.....well, I do, but since we cannot have them here where,I live, I have not kept up to date. COMCAST here has so many great HD stations....NESN AND NESNHD!!! You should ask Jere, at (link on your right) Red Sox Fan In Pinstripe Territory.......he knows all. He's one of the main reasons I do this!!! You can email him from his blog, on the upper right.....
Again, thanks for everything! Peter....

 
At 2/02/2007 10:13 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

He's Jere

 
At 2/02/2007 10:13 AM, Blogger Ian said...

Yes they do televise spring training games. Not every one but at least once or twice a week.

 
At 2/02/2007 10:14 AM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

Awwwwright!
WTIC is our link here in NYC;
Have listened to everyone from Ken Coleman & Castig, thru Trup & Castig & now Joe Castiglione & Dave O'Brien;
Gotta Bring a transistor radio to Night Games at Shea Stadium, to hear 'TIC SOX B'dcasts.

 
At 2/02/2007 10:14 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks Ian......wow...

 
At 2/02/2007 10:19 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

ML, I know...the best pairing...of my time...you know!!!!!! Ken Coleman and Ned (Oh Mercy!!) Martin...they still bring tears to my eyes. Do you remember the Coleman call during the Billy Rohr Yanks-Sox game, when Yaz went back, during the no-hitter, and Ken Coleman said....with soo much emotion...

" He dives, and makes a TREMENDOUS catch!!"

That was Yas, with his back to home plate, diving straight out......nice to hear from you, Michael. The memories are still so sweet.

 
At 2/02/2007 10:21 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Michael, the tears, sometimes seldom, come back with the memories of that call, one of the best of my time.
Thanks everyone...you make writing this blog so much worth it. Wow....

 
At 2/02/2007 10:34 AM, Blogger Ian said...

No problem. I know they showed a few last year. I have the MLB TV online offseason package so I will be able to watch whatever spring training games they put online too. I haven't seen a tv schedule yet for spring training but if i do i will let everyone know.

 
At 2/02/2007 10:42 AM, Blogger Ian said...

I posted the schedule up on my blog and i will leave the schedule here as well.

NESN Spring Training broadcast schedule
Wed. Feb 28 Minnesota Twins vs. Red Sox 7:00 PM
Sat. March 3 Philadelphia Phillies vs. Red Sox 1:00 PM
Wed. March 7 Red Sox vs. New York Mets 1:00 PM
Sun. March 11 Baltimore Orioles vs. Red Sox 1:00 PM
Mon. March 12 New York Yankees vs. Red Sox 7:00 PM
Sat. March 17 Cincinnati Reds vs. Red Sox 1:00 PM
Sun. March 18 Red Sox vs. Baltimore Orioles 1:00 PM
Sun. March 25 Florida Marlins vs. Red Sox 1:00 PM
Wed. March 28 Red Sox vs. Minnesota Twins 7:00 PM

 
At 2/02/2007 11:52 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

And thanks for that!!!!

 
At 2/02/2007 12:34 PM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

And a big thanks from me to Peter & Ian ... I've got them on my calendar!

 
At 2/02/2007 12:38 PM, Blogger BklynSoxFan said...

VERY good news about WTIC, Peter. Thanks for posting it today. Have a good weekend.

 
At 2/02/2007 12:51 PM, Blogger Ian said...

No problem BFW. Thats what friends in Red Sox Nation are for.

 
At 2/02/2007 3:51 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks everyone..........

 
At 2/02/2007 3:55 PM, Blogger Lynsey said...

Hi Peter! Still hooked on those damn red sox huh? :-)

 
At 2/02/2007 3:58 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

I'm more hooked on your good health...you and the beautiful child! Thanks for getting back...be happy forever!!!!!!!!! Peter

 
At 2/02/2007 4:00 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

You have to promise! Take care Lynsey!

 
At 2/02/2007 7:17 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 2/02/2007 7:17 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

I watch the games online so I can watch me precious mets,red sox,diamondbacks and Indians at the same time:)

 
At 2/03/2007 6:47 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks everyone! Info and insight all rolled up as one! It doesn't get any better!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home