Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Mailbag mlb.com Style..Ian Browne

The entire mailbag can be yours by clicking on the title above, including questions about Schill and 'Tek! So do it, after you read this post. But this question, on a Tuesday in north central Connecticut, where the temperature at 7AM, when I wrote my first Tuesday post (7am.....2.3 degrees F.) is now up to 0---(ZERO). And that ain't up! BBBRRRRR...a too cold March, just for two days. Here's that question, with an informative answer. I'll have a comment after you read this...........

Question:
"I am a diehard Yankees fan, so I probably have no right to be on your Web site, but I have a question. Do you think that there is any chance that your Red Sox will compete with my Yankees this year?"
-- Matt N., Haddonfield, N.J.
Answer:
"As usual, the two teams will be breathing down each other's necks for most of the season. I think the offense is a wash. Both teams are going to hit a lot. The intriguing aspect is the pitching. I believe the Red Sox have an edge in starting pitching because of how many power arms they have. But the Yankees have a much more stable bullpen to open the year, with Scott Proctor, Luis Vizcaino, Kyle Farnsworth and Mike Myers setting up the great Mariano Rivera. It comes down to whether the Yankees can exceed expectations in their rotation, or if the Red Sox can do it in the bullpen. That will probably end up being the difference when it is all said and done."

Peter here, and Ian Browne virtually (Sul!) took the words out of my mouth. A more intelligent answer I cannot imagine. So for once, FOR ONCE, I have nothing to add. The Yank's bullpen shines! Our starting rotation shines. Equalization will be needed. But it's March 6th...there IS time. But the Sox can't wait for the last minute to find the way for our starters' 7 or 8 inning great efforts NOT to be rewarded with a win, a victory, a HOLD for our future nameless closer. Some of you might say I've been stressing on that soon-to-be-known (I hope) closer's name. But it's never too soon. My God, our team is NOT complete without that one guy, talented enough to close games. Not after who we were used to last year...namely, Jonathon Papelbon.
Read the entire mailbag....just click on the post title. And how would YOU answer the above question? I'd love to read and comment! Stay warm, readers in the northeast. Because March it ain't! Soon...50 degrees F. by Sunday.
Thanks for reading, as always. And again, how would YOU answer that exact question? I'd love to know.......

11 Comments:

At 3/06/2007 10:03 AM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

I'd answer Matt's holier than thou question with "Hell, yes! Our Red Sox might be too competitive for your Yanks this year!"

P.S. It's a beautiful Spring day here in the Heartland ... I may break out the golf clubs this weekend.

 
At 3/06/2007 10:33 AM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

The answer to the last question in the mailbag was interesting. Ian seems to have excluded Jon Lester from the 25 man roster. Doesn't he have a chance of being with the Red Sox when they break camp?

 
At 3/06/2007 10:45 AM, Blogger Ian said...

I think for now the Sox are planning to have Lester start in Pawtucket but that can change as spring training goes along.

 
At 3/06/2007 10:46 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Hi BFW...I envy the warmth there....bbbrrrrrrr! It's up to 4 degrees, at 10:41am....but we might hit 50 degrees here by Sunday...but today?...wow, way too cold!
And boy, we need bullpen strength this year, at the same time as I agree with you...sorta. Yes, we, the Sox, have a problem with our 'pen. Is it to be solved?...our season '07 depends on it! Get to work, Red Sox minds. I know mine is working on it, but all I can do is express my thoughts, just like you do! And for that, I thank you! As for the last comment, you are dead on correct...

 
At 3/06/2007 10:49 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Ian, we left comments at the same time. I hope Jon Lester's time at triple A is short...I also hope the UCONN women continue their inspiring play! Last night was amazing, and it only cost me five bucks to park! And tonight, we ALL can see! On the deuceHD...thank goodness. Thanks for the comments, BFW and Ian. More to come, I hope. That mailbag was great!

 
At 3/06/2007 2:45 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

I like Bosox fan in Witchita's answer to that question!I AGREE WE WILL BW ABLE TO COMPETE WITH ANYBODY!

 
At 3/06/2007 5:11 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

YEP...14-6 SOX today! FINally!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 3/06/2007 5:12 PM, Blogger Coral said...

I think it is obvious that the Sox have the better starting pitching, even
with Andy back in the Bronx. And I think that the closer situation needs
to be addressed soon. How can all the pitchers be expected to preform to
their highest standards when they won't know what is expected of them?
There is talk of Donnelly for closer (which I'm sure you have heard). As
an Angels' fan I absolutly adore Brendan, and have met him a few times
(always kind and willing to sign autographs or pose for pictures).
However, I don't think that he is ready/has the composure to be a closer.
I was looking up his stats in comparison to Scot Shields the other day, he
only has 4 saves total... And you are going to have him close Yankees vs
Sox in a save situation. Not that Donnelly hasn't been great against the
Yankees at times in the past, I just don't know that he can be on the
stage (ie A-Rod or Eli Manning).

Thinking of Donnelly I just recalled that I was at the game against the
Nationals with the whole "pine tar incident." I really dislike Jose
Guillen...

 
At 3/07/2007 12:06 PM, Blogger Suldog said...

Hee-hee.

 
At 3/07/2007 1:02 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Yes Sul, Coral is amazing! Check out her blog.
And hee-hee? Well, I'm NESNing it right now, at 1 !! Virtually! Can't wait for Halloween!@

 
At 3/07/2007 1:05 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

NESN NOW!!!! Not in HD, but what the f**k!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home