Sunday, March 04, 2007

Pure PAPS Pleasure

More on yesterday's game...this time the good stuff. By that I mean our pitching staff, and that means the starters plus Donnelly, so far. And after Tim Wakefield went the first two, Jonathon Papelbon came in and showed the "lights out, it's over, go home" form that we so need to see this year in the final inning. From Sunday's Courant. The entire article is linked when you click on the title.

"Jonathan Papelbon stressed to himself Saturday not to go full steam ahead in his first spring training appearance. If anything, Papelbon said, he was trying to hold himself back, as he settles into his new role as a starter.
Try explaining that to National League MVP Ryan Howard and the Phillies.
Papelbon was dominant in his first inning of work since a shoulder injury in September sidelined him for the season. Replacing knuckleballer Tim Wakefield to start the third inning, Papelbon blew away Greg Dobbs, Chase Utley and Howard, striking out all three with 93-94 mph fastballs.
Papelbon added a called third strike to Aaron Rowand for the final out of the fourth, ending his perfect two-inning outing with a flourish."

Peter here, and that's closer stuff. If all else fails in our "riddled with doubt" bullpen, we may indeed see Paps slip back to being our closer supreme while Jon Lester takes his place in the rotation. I could think of worse things. Piniero as our closer is just one example of a bad dream. And no, I'm not being overly negative. We have a first place rotation with a fourth place 'pen. Face it! But don't get me wrong. Jon has a starter mentality for 2007, and that will NOT change. His role for the upcoming season is to be our number four starter. Unless. But unless is NOT going to happen. Not for a while. And if it does, there's a real problem. A problem that Jonathon Papelbon's arm could solve. If someone can stand up and just do it out in the bullpen, and if there is anyone left over who will prove to be reliable set-up men, for the Sox are weak there too, then Paps will proudly be a member of one of the best rotations in baseball. But the starters are only as good as the guy (s) who finish the game. This story will be continued. And you all know that if I was writing it, there would be a happy ending. Right now, on March 4th, there's no such thing in sight.

Craig Hansen? Ouch..from the Globe....

"Craig Hansen is still limited to flat-ground throwing, Francona said. Hansen said he had a bulging disk in his back but anti-inflammatories have been effective."

Peter here, and anti-imflammatories are not a long-term solution to a bulging disk, which when it hits the sciatic nerve will cause pain down one leg after passing through the buttocks. Not a fun thing.....I shattered a disc many years ago making a sliding catch in the outfield. The result was surgery...successful, thank goodness, for my back has been fine ever since. Craig, we wish you well. We need you!

Enjoy your Sunday. I'll be back in a bit. Count on it! Count on me. And comment on the 'pen, or any little thing you want to!

22 Comments:

At 3/04/2007 11:47 AM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

Mark my words if you want but by june I say PAPS will be the clooser:)

 
At 3/04/2007 12:21 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Kaylee, that's what I've been saying since XMAS! I'm glad you agree...although that means our bullpen, AS IT STANDS NOW, SUCKs!..It does.....

 
At 3/04/2007 12:23 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

And I always "mark your words," even when they are the exact same thing that you read right here, by me! You're number one...it's OK to agree. But pleeeeze, remember! FEEL better K!!.

 
At 3/04/2007 12:51 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

Check out my post on my blog:-) man I cant wait til 8 days from now til I go to FORT MYERS:)

 
At 3/04/2007 1:03 PM, Blogger Katiee said...

Paps as closer is looking better and better the more I hear about our bullpen pitchers minus Donnelly
and yea back problems are not good my dad's had some ok a lot over the years and it isnt just going to go away

 
At 3/04/2007 1:03 PM, Blogger Katiee said...

oh and Peter... ouch!

 
At 3/04/2007 2:08 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Checking now, Kaylee...and hi katiee!!!!! OUCH? And Kaylee? Fort Myers? I know the BEST, the bestest, the most unbelievable bestest Naples, and Fort Myers rib place...if you want to know more...leave another comment.
But I'm so full of questions, so please let me know when you're going! PSSS---it's MICHELBOBS's!!!
My parents lived in North Naples, just a few short miles from Ft. Myers. Do you like onion rings? Baby back ribs?...I can read you their menu by heart!!! And you can eat one-handed. And you know what? The sweetest best rings and ribs in your entire life. Bring some home for me....get back, and I'll explain, lucky you!! Peter...safe trip Kaylee.
And Katiee, I didn't forget you......you both are the best.

 
At 3/04/2007 2:12 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

MMMM onion rings and Ribs I love both:D

 
At 3/04/2007 2:12 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

My back thingy has been gone for so many years! No ouches needed....but Kaylee, napkins will be needed when you ask your parents if you can go to Michelbob's, in FT. Myers OR Naples...need direction???..email or call me. They will be the bestest meal you have ever had, one handed or two!!!...I promise you will have so so so so much fun, and great ribs, rings, and everything!!!!!!!! I love it there, and it brings back such good memories of my Dad (he passed away) and me sharing such great food. Hve fun...and Katiee, thaks too!!

 
At 3/04/2007 2:15 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Kaylee, you snuck in a comment...and are you really going down there??? Because I promise, promise, promise that they will be the best ribs and rings and EVERYTHING you've ever had. Just thinking about Michelbob's sort of makes me tear up...cuz my Dad loved it so much! And he's not here anymore.....Enjoy....OK??? Number one?
And Katiee, hi to you too!

 
At 3/04/2007 2:16 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

May have to try that place:-) GOD you are making me hungry!

 
At 3/04/2007 2:16 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

Yes I am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 3/04/2007 2:17 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

WOW!!!!!! I have to go......I'm so happy to have both of you leave such great comments!

 
At 3/04/2007 2:21 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

And Kaylee, when you are within 15 miles of Michelbob's, there is NO SUCH THING as maybe. Enjoy, order the rings as a first course, and then the baby back ribs platter with a mug of root beer, which they serve in an ice-cold glass. You and your parents will LOVE it! And that's a Peter N.(ME!) promise!

 
At 3/04/2007 2:22 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Bye for now.....love ya both....Go Sox...

 
At 3/04/2007 3:52 PM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

The Bullpen was becoming a disaster since '05:

Last season was UTTERLY Frightening;

Michael

 
At 3/04/2007 3:54 PM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

But, Taveras did become a pretty Damn-Good Starter:

That was some consolation;

Seanez was ANOTHER Story;

Michael

 
At 3/04/2007 4:03 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

I'll wait to comment....thanks ML

 
At 3/04/2007 4:13 PM, Blogger lauren said...

I haven't actually seen a game yet. I've been busy. I missed Daisuke too because I was doing homework.

I'd still like to see Pap as closer.

 
At 3/05/2007 6:44 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

We all would...too bad Theo didn't find anyone else....can you say set-up guys?

 
At 3/05/2007 11:55 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

The last comment WAS deleted....I had to....everyone, enjoy, as the North Central CT. weather gets more and more frosty. Hey, it march, isn't it?????? Oy vey!!!

 
At 3/05/2007 11:56 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

And I meant to type this...."It's March! Take care..that deleted idiotic comment got to me! Everybody enjoy this sunny but temperature plummeting Monday!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home