Saturday, December 17, 2005

Rocket and Nomar..Yes There Is a Difference.

I would welcome back Rocket Roger with open arms and a bear hug. The crowd would stand and cheer, for minutes, while he walked to the mound. You know why? He was forced to leave the club by Ducquette and his cronies who thought, rather comically, that he was washed up. Well, that gave him the impetus to get into better shape and take the pitching world by storm while throwing for the North Birds. A real FU to Ducquette. And then he went to the Yankees,. which some Red Sox fans will never get over. C'mon people, this is professional sports we're talking here.
Now, Nomar, cancer that he was. Chained to the dugout of his own choosing in a game at the Stadium. On the team bus in 2003 after tieing the series with 2 straight wins over the A's, and actually questioning his teamates as to why go back out to California for the final game, they were just going to lose anyways. Now these actions say OUTLOUD at ear-splitting volume that the doofus who used to be Nomar had quit on his team, and quit on them when they needed him the most. To me he was just like a hopelessly infected limb that unless cut off, would cause the rest of the body to turn green, smell, and eventually suffer a pus-filled painfull death. What do the doctors do in such a situation? THEY AMPUTATE! That is why he will never wear a Sox uniform again. That is why if and when he appears at Fenway as a member of another team, there will be a chorus of booing and a smattering of cheers. Compare that to the standing O that Roger will get.
As the Yankees pile up set-up type of relievers and we sit on our asses, the hot stove talk is cool. As of now, Manny WILL bat 4th, and David Welles WILL be our number 3or 4 starter. As Billy Joel said, 'And so it goes."
Have a great weekend. I'll be back here to confuse and amuse you soon.

3 Comments:

At 12/17/2005 4:15 PM, Blogger Jere said...

Surprise, surprise, I have strong opinions about this.

I was totally fine with Roger going to the Jays. He gave his FU to Duquette, and that was his right. (Although had that big fat traitor shithead given his all and not let his body go, leading to shitty results--from 93-96 he was a .500 pitcher with a 3.75 ERA, and walked 40 more guys in 96 than he did in 92 in about the same number of innings--he wouldn't have been let go anyway. I would have done the same thing at the time if I was the GM.) But when he signed with the yanks, that was an FU to Red Sox fans.

He was my favorite pitcher for a long time. Now I wish he would just go away.

Nomar was also my favorite for a long time. But with him, I felt like he always gave his all. His sitting on the bench that day was based on his superstitious nature, I am convinced. I read that, but no one seems to want to believe it. Even if not, for him to have been the most beloved Red Sox player for a long time, and then to have been pushed aside in favor of A-Rod, I don't see how that couldn't have been hard for him. So I give him the benefit of the doubt. I think the cheers for Nomar would be a lot louder than they'd be for Roger.

On June 9th, 2004, I was at Fenway for Nomar's return from the DL. I even took a picture of the bleachers standing and cheering when he stepped to the plate, because I wanted proof of how much people loved Nomar.

I just hope he doesn't go to the yanks. But I don't think that will happen.

 
At 12/17/2005 4:20 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

We have to agree to disagree on this one Jere. We'll never agree. Maybe someone else will chime in. The ultimate FU is when you say it to your team, when they need you. But thanks for chiming in. It makes me and my blog feel a little more wanted, even though I know the reading is good. Hey to Chan.

 
At 12/18/2005 1:40 AM, Blogger Jere said...

I read this story that said that Nomar was on his spot on the bench, and people said to him "stay in your spot" for superstitious reasons.

I can totally understand him staying there as I am also a person who doesn't like to move in fear of ruining a rally.

Chan's in CT this weekend. But it's best to not say hi to him anyway, as we learned the last time you attempted this. I will save your hi's to Chan and give them to those in need of them and who will appreciate them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home