Monday, March 20, 2006

Theo On Bronson, And The Trade

This is from the Globe Blog. And not a direct quote, but a summation....."I’ve seen it repeated about a ‘gentlemen’s agreement,’ ... I talked to Jed Hoyer about the contract. The topic came up, but we said we cannot guarantee you’ll not be traded. There was nothing hot. No imminent trade talks. But certainly things change over months. There was no gentleman’s agreement. No handshake. Obviously he wanted to stay in Boston. It’s tough to do to someone who’s been a loyal soldier, enjoys being in Boston. But have to do what’s best for the organization."
*** Peter here. Key words. "What's best for the organization." This was not easy for Theo to do, and we should not make him out to be the villian he is not. A tough move for him. For us. YES.

6 Comments:

At 3/20/2006 3:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peter, he stuck it to Bronson because he knew he could. Plain and simple. Is he a villain? Maybe not. But to me, he went from being the kind of GM who could balance what was 'best for the team' with being loyal to those who deserve it, to being just like every other GM in MLB. And I'm ashamed of that.

I'll be interested to hear Bronson's take on this. Maybe that will make me feel better.

 
At 3/20/2006 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And as far as what is best for the team, Theo has ensured that probably no other players will ever take any kind of 'hometown discount' and his stabbing Bronson in the back will not make many free agents want to hop on board either.

Not exactly what's best for the team in the long run if you ask me.

 
At 3/20/2006 3:51 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3/20/2006 3:55 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

My last comment had too many typos, but what I said in esscence was that time will tell on this one. At least Bronson's role for his new club, a 2 or 3 starter, is much more defined than his role would have been with the Sox. And I agree with you more than I don't, Cyn. Emotion, not just stats. That's how I try to do it. I'm still learning, though.

 
At 3/20/2006 3:57 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Oh, and Cyn, and others here.... Bronson was said to be very upset by this whole thing. Who can blame him?

 
At 3/20/2006 5:02 PM, Blogger Kim said...

This is the first I've heard of Theo explaining that he said, "we can't guarrantee" you won't be traded. I still say that someone, somewhere along the line, made it seem to him that it wasn't likely.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home