Thursday, April 27, 2006

THE Ball, A Pair Of Shoes, and a Mantel (Not Mickey)

Keith Foulke, who has been pitching SO well, on the infamous World Series ball of '04, and other tidbits. My comments are in brackets And the quotes come from Thursday's Hartford Courant.....CLEVELAND --"The shoes Red Sox pitcher Keith Foulke wore in the 2004 World Series are on display at the Baseball Hall of Fame. He would like to have them back. Still, what he would really like to have is the ball that he threw to first baseman Doug Mientkiewicz for the final out.
Foulke said he still believes he deserves to have the ball. A teammate, who did not want to be identified, agreed." (IDENTIFY IDENTIFY!)
"It's not on my mantel where it should be," Foulke said Wednesday". (POOR BABY)
"As far as I know, I've never heard of a team wanting the ball so badly," Foulke said. "It's one of those deals where I got the last out. I think that's kind of the common practice in baseball [to give the ball to the pitcher on the mound]." (KEITH, YOU'VE BEEN PITCHING GREAT! CONCENTRATE ON KEEPING IT GOING, NOT ON A BALL THAT WAS DESTINED TO BE WHERE IT IS RIGHT NOW, IN THE HALL.)
"Foulke said he had asked Mientkiewicz for the ball over the winter following the World Series but was turned down".(WAH WAH WAH WAH)
"Speaking of the Hall of Fame, do you know where my shoes are?" Foulke asked. "I'm still looking to get back our stuff that went in after last year. We've got to find it. They said they're only keeping it for a year. I would imagine the White Sox got their display in there now. I want my stuff back." (KEITH, I'LL BUY YOU A NEW PAIR. CONCENTRATE ON WHAT YOU ARE DOING, AND DOING SO WELL....AND THAT'S PITCHING. WE NEED YOU!!!!!)
And that's it from here, for now. Thanks for reading, and for Josh Beckett? Rule the night. We need ya!

3 Comments:

At 4/27/2006 10:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I agree this isn't the most important thing for Foulke to be talking about, remember that they asked him, he didn't bring it up I'm sure.

I have always maintained:

1) Foulke should have been the WS MVP and
2) If ONE player from the team HAD to have the ball, Foulkie deserved it a whole hell of a lot more than Mientkiewicz. and
3) If Foulke was the player with the ball at the end of the game, the Red Sox wouldn't have asked for it back.

Foulke tells the story that he was going to run to first and make the last out and Mientkiewicz called for the ball. He also says he asked Mientkiewicz for the ball and Doug said 'no'.

I have no use for Doug Mientkiewicz. Sure he was a help in 2004, but he obviously doesn't have a real clue about what it means to be on a team.

 
At 4/27/2006 11:00 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

WS MVP?? I agree, and have always been of that opinion. And it wasn't even close!!! And all Mienkiewicz did was catch the ball. We can do that with our eyes closed. You AND me, Cyn. And if Foulkie has the ball in HIS glove, let's say as he was covering first while Mienkiewicz was fielding the ball, NOTHING would have happened, and Foulkie would be the proud and deserving owner of the "BALL OF '04."
Case closed on this whole unimportant affair (I hope).

 
At 4/27/2006 11:01 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks for the comment(s) Cyn. I couldn't do this without you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home