Thursday, April 06, 2006

Foulkie: "All That Matters Is That We Win." Get Back, Keith!

From the Globe, and then my comments....."Francona, before the game, approached Foulke and told him that if Beckett went seven, and Timlin pitched an inning, Papelbon would probably close the game out, because he's the best arm the Sox have out there at the moment. Foulke, afterward, said he's fine with that.
''Hell, when I get my stuff together and go back to that spot, so be it," Foulke said. ''All that matters is we win."
***Peter here. And what a great attitude. I didn't want my first post of today to reflect my initial excitement that Foulke was out and Papel was in. But if it plays out that way, so be it. With the unselfish attitude that Keith Foulke showed when he made the preceding comments, this is a no-lose situation for our club. And when, not if, Foulkie regains his form and returns to the role of closer, after some work that was not accomplished when it usually would, during Spring training, we will be all the better for it. So the hope remains, although the alternative is crazily tempting, that Keith Foulke gets himself back to where he was before 2005. Back to where he once belonged, as Paul McCartney said in the 1969 Beatles' song, Get Back. Go for it, Keith. And there is no hurry. Get back to the domination of '04. We would all be so happy.

8 Comments:

At 4/06/2006 12:48 PM, Blogger Lynsey said...

Hi Peter,

Just wanted to let you know that Spike got a new collar, it's camoflauge. His new name is Rambo.

Love your blog by the way. It's always a joy to read on my lunch break.

 
At 4/06/2006 1:47 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

You know what they say. Adjectives will get you anywhere. And I love it that you enjoy reading, an almost respite in the middle of the day. Go Sox (knew you'd like that). Take care.

 
At 4/06/2006 2:18 PM, Blogger Kim said...

As J.S. (Baseball Heavy, not Jere) pointed out, it's more like: Get Back, Loretta! That's going to be fun to say this year.

 
At 4/06/2006 4:04 PM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

Keith @ 75% isn't all the way. Keith @ 100%, I will settle for & not before.

 
At 4/06/2006 4:30 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Hi WC....I know. That's catchy...I think if I go back a few dozen posts, I bestowed that nic on good old Mark..you know, me the Beatles fan. Thanks for reading..so much fun to come this season.

 
At 4/06/2006 4:31 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

And ML....I agree!

 
At 4/07/2006 12:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peter, I have been a huge Foulke detractor (except for 2004)...but I was totally encouraged by his words last night.

His words, coupled with his body language. He didn't seem to be bullshitting anybody. He seemed to really care about what was best for the team.

And he just earned my respect back as a fan.

 
At 4/07/2006 6:49 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Cyn....I feel the exact same way. I used to think he was a selfish me me me type of guy. He has mellowed with age. After all, he's 33. I also believe he will be a productive member of the pen this year. He just missed so much work in the Florida.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home