Thursday, May 18, 2006

Jonathon speaks!

And he said this, from the Herald......''I could never start a game again in my life," Papelbon said yesterday afternoon, ''and I'd be happy."
***Peter here, and those words warmed my slowly beating heart. Read on! "Papelbon was a closer in college (Mississippi State) but started 48 of his 58 minor league games and fell in love with that role. He began this year saying his goal was to be a starting pitcher in the major leagues, even if he began the season in the bullpen. That desire?
''It's gone," Papelbon said yesterday. ''Starting does not even enter my brain anymore. I get a lot of satisfaction out of closing. I feel like more of an everyday player. Hopefully, I'll be able to close for a long time.
''I'd never closed in the big leagues before. All of a sudden it's like a newfound glory. It's like, wow. I found out I like it. It's very satisfying."
**Peter back, and WOW!!!! His words made my day. And yours, I hope. He is rapidly becoming the best closer in baseball, and we have a supporting crew of Keith Foulke, Mike Timlin, and (yes!) Julian Tavarez. With set-up like that, we might have the BEST 7th inning on bullpen in all of baseball. And it will be so much fun to find out. All we have to do is wait. And sweat. And cheer and jeer. Cry and rejoice. I can do that. Can you?? I think so. So join me here on this incredible journey in the making. Every day. Right here.......

1 Comments:

At 5/19/2006 1:04 PM, Blogger Jess said...

Pap is a very wise, and unusually poised young man for his age. So happy with him. He's completely got the right mindset.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home