Wednesday, May 10, 2006

This Makes It ALL Worth It!

I have a friend, and his name is Gerry. He's 85 or so, and been a Sox fan all his life. He is a heart transplant survivor, and a feisty one at that, and I've been "the guy to call" wherever and whenever our Red Sox play, and that's for the last 8 years. And I love it. Even when his arguments ring hollow, even when he says "let's lose this guy Wakefield,". You see, I know he doesn't mean it. He loves the Red Sox as much as he loves life itself. And life itself has not been an automatic thing for him. But he's Gerry, the MVP of all Red Sox fans I know. And he can back it up.
He just called me, 4 o'clock or so on this grey but beautiful Wednesday afternoon. He sounded so happy. And I knew why. It was the 3 plus hours last night when he was sitting in front of his small screen color TV, watching "our" team beat the living daylights out of that team from NY. And that made me happy. Gerry, I know you can't read this, because a computer is as foreign to you as a telephone was in the Civil War. But I love YA, and my love for the Boston Red Sox stems from your lifetime love of "our" team, through thick and thin. And I know you were born and brought up without a Red Sox World championship. But that was before 2004. Boy, we shared that one, didn't we? And I'm so glad to be your friend.....don't worry, we'll do it again. I wish I could promise you that, but I can't. But I'll be there, right there, rooting with you. And whenever you call, to yell at the umps, or whatever, I'm here. You know what? There are a lot of us. Thanks Gerry....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home