Friday, June 23, 2006

Count me in! I'm a new JJ fan...read on

Well, I hope everyone enjoyed the off-day. I hope the lumber stays hot, hot enough to scorch the palms of any Phillie pitchers who have the misfortune to be on the mound for the next three days. We try to make our streak 7, with Josh on the hill and DIRTY WATER echoing over the Fenway Park speaker system at game's end. And of our new pitcher, read on, from today's Globe....."Jason Johnson, the pitcher Cleveland sent to the Sox along with more than $1 million, should be a familiar name to anyone who attended the Boston Baseball Writers dinner in December 2001. Johnson received the Tony Conigliaro Award for overcoming adversity. The tall righthander, who was diagnosed with diabetes at age 11, began wearing an insulin pump on his hip at all times in 2001, except when he's pitching . . . "
Having to wear an insulin pump is no easy thing, and it also means that he is afflicted with Type 1 Diabetes, the bad kind. The kind when you body decides, for one reason or another, to stop making insulin altogether. Insulin, produced by the pancreas (sic), regulates the way the body processes sugar, allowing the absorbtion of it into the organs instead of passing out of the body, unused while in the bloodstream, and peed out. Deadly. 90-95% of people diagnosed with diabetes have type 2, or adult onset diabetes, where the body makes insulin, as it should, but because of poor eating, lack of excercise, or being overweight, the body loses its ability to effectively use that insulin for its important sugar-regulating function. Type 1 diabetes is more commonly known as juvenile diabetes. Cruel, so cruel to be a kid and be forced to stick your finger 5 times a day and take insulin injections 4 times a day. That's my typical day, but I was lucky. My Type 1 diabetes did not occur until well into adulthood. I excercise as much as I can, after lunch and after dinner, but will forever need those shots of insulin, and forever know what I put in my body as food, and the consequences of that. But it's gotten me in shape, really good shape. And I am happy. Sure, I'd love to go to Fenway more often than once or twice a season, but taking a blood sugar level every three innings while crammed and sweating, and then finding the proper meal, ain't easy. Hey, enough of this. Go get 'em tonight Josh. 7 and we're in heaven. And thanks for reading.

8 Comments:

At 6/23/2006 10:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Count me in too, Peter! :-)

 
At 6/23/2006 12:22 PM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

Count me in-great article Peter:

My latest is "The Culprits of 1986";

Lou Gorman didn't do enough research about Calvin Schiraldi

 
At 6/23/2006 12:39 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Lou Gorman.....I think of the multple All Star Astros' first baseman...and you know who, traded for a one year (one month) pitcher by the name of Anderson. Do I have to fill in the blanks? Oh, and I just saw the Ron Howard film CINDERELLA MAN. Laughter, tears, jump for joy elation. Wow..Plenty of Kleenex needed. Russell Crowe, a**hole he might be in real life, is a tremendous actor. Gotta go. 7:05...the drive for 7. At OUR home, Fenway, where Cyn will be. My favorite person in the stands. And my favorite team on the field.

 
At 6/23/2006 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peter, great post. I'm part of the Type II epidemic, diagnosed 4 years ago. Not on medication and cannot imagine what it must be like for you.

Good luck and Go Sox for Lucky 7 tonight!

John
RSN UK
http://siggy99.mlblogs.com

 
At 6/23/2006 5:52 PM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

Jeff Bagwell:

Calvin Schiraldi?

 
At 6/23/2006 6:14 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Bags...ah yes. CT. guy, too.

 
At 6/23/2006 7:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read your post and wrote one myself about Johnson (because I'm a copycat like that). My friend Gerri and my friend Eli also have Type 1 diabetes, and though I feel really bad that they always have to stick themselves and watch what they eat, they both are leading normal, relatively healthy lives. Count me in as well. And I guess you just need to sit in those roomier dugout seats to make your life easier at Fenway (of course, for the same price as grandstand seats) I wonder if Larry Lucchino is nice enough . . .

 
At 6/24/2006 6:55 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks for that comment, Arielle. And if Larry was a nice guy, the seat would be free...I never liked him, though. I am going to a game in late July up in a Sky Box. It's not as much fun as being on the first base line, but it is much easier to get a blood sugar reading! And it's much better than watching it on TV, even in Hi-Def......have a great trip!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home