Sunday, June 11, 2006

Walf Off. Walk Proud. Thank You Lou

David Ortiz did it again. A walk off Red Sox win. And this only moments after I finished reading the last few shining pages of a remarkable book. A biography of Lou Gehrig, called LUCKIEST MAN. About a man who was the epitome of courage. And if our Sox had lost? So what, I would have thought. There are so many things more important than a baseball game. But hey, Big Papi did it. I still would have had these tears streaming down my face. And the tears are not tears of joy, but tears of sadness, and hope. Hope that we all can lead our lives as the Yankee great Lou Gehrig did. When his body deserted him, but his mind and his soul never did. Until his last labored breath escaped his body. And I felt lucky, just for reading, and learning.
Thank you David Ortiz. And thank you Lou Gehrig. Right now I feel like the luckiest man. As my tears wet my cheeks, I am so much better for it. I sit here crying like a baby. And smiling like an innocent child. Thanks David, and Lou.

5 Comments:

At 6/11/2006 4:33 PM, Blogger Beazer said...

Peter, that's a great perspective you have.

I still consider Lou the "Iron Man" because of all his body must have been going through while he was achieving what he did. Cal had it easy compared to Lou.

Take care!

 
At 6/11/2006 7:02 PM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

Meanwhile, Pedro & The Mets lead 13-1 in the 6th;

Game's on the WB20 right now.

 
At 6/11/2006 7:08 PM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

Henry Louis Gehrig, a native of the Yorkville Section of Manhattan, became the vehicle to publicize the ALS Disease, often called "Lou Gehrig's Disease."

I have listened to the original filmed speech & cried;

I witnessed the reading of his speech by James Gandofolini; & did laugh a bit @ the "Soprano" version.

Nevertheless, it was poignant.

 
At 6/11/2006 11:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the 6th walk off HR for Papi (at least during the regular season). He has a few postseason ones too!

 
At 6/12/2006 6:48 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Hey Michael...read the book. LUCKIEST MAN. You'll never forget it. Available in softcover now. And Cyn, he was only 37 when he died. What a shame. And anon, thanks for the comment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home