Sunday, August 13, 2006

This, From December 6th, 2006

I posted this two days before the 25th anniversary of John Lennon's murder at the Dakota, in NYC United States. The post I did a few days ago mentioning the Beatles, their songs, how much they meant to me, caused me to look back, look back 8 months ago, when my blog was barely two weeks old, and to the 25 year anniversary of a day that remains so dark for me. And that is December 8th, 1980. I remember that night, watching Monday Night Football on ABC, and Howard Cosell, in his Monday Night Football glory days, suddenly somber as he announced the horrific news. A look back. Forgive me, but on this beautiful Sunday, I must. Thanks.......

******This Thursday marks the 25th anniversary of the death of John Lennon. Here is my open letter to John, who was shot 4 times
in the back, severing all the major blood vessels
leading to and from the heart. There was nothing the
Doctors could do on that night 25 years ago, December
8th 1980. He was 40 years old.********

Dear John. Wow it's been 25 years. Hard to
believe, huh. You were walking into your apartment at
the Dakota in New York City when a crazed idiot
stepped out behind you, and while you were walking
away from him, shot at you 5 times, hitting you 4
times in the back. I hope you didn't feel much pain,
but I know better. When the 2 policeman put you in
their car (an ambulance would have made no difference.
The damage was done even if the shooting happened in a
21st century trauma room), one of them asked you if
you knew who you were, and you nodded and sputtered
out the word yes. You suffered and died quickly. In
fact the last word you said was YES, while you sputtered and choked on your blood, in response to the
cop's question.
Oh how you meant so much to me. I was mesmerized by the Beatles
music. You gave me so much joy. It was always the music that helped me
through my awkward years of 11-16, some of them which
were not happy ones. And this was 10 years after the Beatles stopped being the Beatles. And then in the 70's, at least
the first 5 years, your music still flowed while it
seemed everyone clamored for a Beatles reunion. And
then in late '79, when your newly born son was a
little older and your doting period ended, you came
back to your music, music more alive and vibrant than
it had been in the past decade. And then that night.
It was a Monday. I remember because I was watching
Monday night football, and Cosell said that he had
just learned of a terrible thing, and he announced to
the country the few facts known about your violent
death. I cried, called my parents and friends, and was
stunned. As I write this, I feel exactly the same way.
But your music will live forever. You said, in a
song named INSTANT KARMA...
"And we all shine on
Like the moon and the stars and the sun
Yes we all shine on
On and on and on and on....."
When I looked up in the sky last night, I knew you
were right. You were so right in so many things. The
world would have been a different place with you, at
65, still demanding peace. I miss you John. I love
you. As you said, "Come together, give peace a chance,
all you need is love." We should have listened.
Peter N. I will never forget you.

Peter here, today, Sunday, a beautiful morning. SHINE ON.

4 Comments:

At 8/13/2006 9:55 AM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

I remember all too well hearing it on MNF:

John was The Beatles, as was Paul;

But The Music Survives;

Such are memories.

 
At 8/13/2006 12:49 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks...sooo right!

 
At 8/14/2006 12:17 PM, Blogger BklynSoxFan said...

December 8, 1980 was the darkest day of my life. I heard about the shooting on the radio, and I wanted to go straight to the Dakota that night, but my dad wouldn't let me. I was there the next day, among a crowd of sobbing fans. John's death affected me badly for a long time. I prayed I would never see as bad a day as that again.

It WAS the darkest day of life, until a sunny Tuesday morning in 2001....

 
At 8/14/2006 4:41 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

I felt exactly the same way...despair and hopelessness....on both days

 

Post a Comment

<< Home