Thursday, September 21, 2006

50 Reasons To Love Papi

The clock read 4 minutes before 9 PM. The drive was a monster shot into the crowd. And history was matched for David Ortiz as number 50 was official. He is tied with Jimmy Foxx for the club record, and the Fenway crowd saluted him, not to mention the tens of thousands watching on television and listening to radio. I stood up and cheered, but in the end it was the Minnesota Twins who emerged the victors, thanks in large part to Craig Hansen's disasterous 4 batter outing. He is not ready for prime time, not yet. He walked off to the sound of boos. Deservedly so. Schilling labored through 5 innings, throwing more than 100 pitches, but it was good to see him back. It might have been Minnesota's game, but it was Papi's night. And now he goes for 51, a club record. It couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
On a side note, Manny's good friend Julian Tavarez told the media that Manny is all done this year. And that's good. Surgery will not be needed.
So the Nation holds it breath in anticipation of number 51, and beyond. They play the Twins again at Fenway, and then go to Toronto. But the last 5 games? At home. Where we belong.

11 Comments:

At 9/21/2006 11:27 AM, Blogger laura said...

No No No NO BOOING! Hansen is a kid and booing him is wrong. Booing any Sox player is wrong. We are not Yankees fans!

 
At 9/21/2006 12:34 PM, Blogger HorshamScouse said...

The boos if any should be directed at the FO or Tito for leaving the roster in a state where Hansen had to exposed like this

It would be great for Papi to get 51 at Fenway rather than in the Skydome.

 
At 9/21/2006 12:48 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

I never said, or wrote the 'B' word......he's young, and is future his is in front of him..I'm not a boo-er. Did I spell that right? And thanks for the comments...you're always there!

 
At 9/21/2006 12:51 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

OOOO, I did write that. But I didn't mean that if I was, I wish, at Fenway, I would have been a boo-er. I don't do that sound. But that's what the home crowd sounded like. On NESN. I agree so much with you, and I had to go back and reread what I wrote. Forgetful...me? Maybe...and that's scary. After all, I'm getting near middle age. Not.....

 
At 9/21/2006 12:56 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

And thanks for pointing out the obvious, which sometimes, I miss. I feel bad.

 
At 9/21/2006 4:38 PM, Blogger laura said...

I know you wouldn't boo Peter, see, it's those false fans. I propose we add an amendment to the Constitution of RSN to ban the boo. Or something.

 
At 9/21/2006 7:03 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

I second the motion. All in favor, say aye!
Have a great night....Peter

 
At 9/21/2006 10:16 PM, Blogger Jess said...

Papi Papi Papi!!!!!
51 & 2!

 
At 9/21/2006 10:43 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

hospitals are no fun:)
-kaylee

 
At 9/21/2006 11:23 PM, Blogger Katiee said...

PAPIIIIIII!!!!!
Boos=uncool
Papi= coolestpersonever
stupid chick who went to the game yesterday and didnt even know who we were playing but was like 50ft away from the hr ball= *jumps out window*
but Papi smiles and say "I'll make it better" and smashes 51 and 52

 
At 9/22/2006 7:02 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Katiee....what lady?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home