Sunday, September 10, 2006

The Limbo Rock. And In The End.......

Or, how low can you go? As in set the bar and shimmy under it lower and lower. You remember that song? Well, the Red Sox are doing their best imitation of doing the limbo, striving every day to go lower and lower. The latest example? Another loss bigtime to the KC Royals. A nip and tuck nailbitingly close game turned anything but in the 12th inning as Manny Delcarmen and his team disintergrated before our very eyes. Or in my case, ears, as I was listening to the last 2 innings of the game on the radio. My eyes had grown weary from all the blown chances the team had to score in the 10th and 11th.
This season IS OVER. Nope, there's no official proclamation, no sounding of the funeral horns. Nothing that fancy. It's come to the point where reason and logic take charge over my hopes and my heart. And the voice of reason tells me, tells all of us, that a .500 record over the rest of the season for this team, this pitching staff, would be a good accomplishment. And a .500 record just ain't going to do it. I wish I felt differently, and I will continue to watch them play and write about their exploits. But the wonder of how far this team can go and what it can do is gone. And that hurts.

9 Comments:

At 9/10/2006 9:18 AM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

It's still going, though not like The Energiser Bunny on amphetamines:

It's more like The Energiser Bunny On Warm Milk;

They Need RED BULL, for Wings.

 
At 9/10/2006 9:27 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Hey!! The Energiser Bunny is in my profile! Thanks Michael.

 
At 9/10/2006 10:14 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

And they need to go 18-2 to have a chance. 10-10 is more likely. But I'll be here for every win, every loss, every Papi home run. Promise. But you knew that. It's time to fire up the DVR for the World Series Of Poker, part 6 of 12....Tuesdays from 8-10 PM. Although the Times clued me in on the winner, and his/her identity. Doesn't matter. Although i wish I didn't know. Take care ML.

 
At 9/10/2006 2:25 PM, Blogger Katiee said...

clearly the Dox just like the limbo me personally? never really liked it

 
At 9/10/2006 5:16 PM, Blogger laura said...

18-2? How sad, that is never going to happen. Oh and the WSoP? I found out who won after it happened, even though SportsCenter told me to cover my ears. I'll still watch though!

 
At 9/10/2006 8:00 PM, Blogger Julie said...

peter, we can't lose you! i know that it's not at all likely to say that the sox are going to the postseason. but if the sox gave up like you are, we would have no walkoffs. no 2004. no extra-innings victories. our boys are sticking with it until the final out of the final game. miracles do happen.
julie

 
At 9/10/2006 9:21 PM, Blogger Katiee said...

yea I'm on crack I meant Sox whatever

 
At 9/11/2006 7:01 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Julie, I'm not going anywhere. My posts will be here every morning. Everyday. And Laura, I read who won the WSOP in yesterday's NY Times. I thought that I had successfully dodged the reports until, until.....oh well. Compellingly done by the network one town over, ESPN. I'll be watching the final 6!

 
At 9/11/2006 7:02 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

And Julie, I never gave up anything! I just know with the arms we have, a .500 record is likely. And I will enjoy watching every game. Giving up means not watching or following. I would never do that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home