Tuesday, September 19, 2006

A Nation Turns Its Anguished Eyes To Papi

The nation is Red Sox Nation. Anguished? Yes, in the sense that the season is over. Not mathmatically, but the result is certain just the same. Sure, we staved off the Yankee celebration, and we looked good doing it. They'll have their hands full in the post season. That will be nice to see. But now, three games at our Fenway. Papi sitting on 49 home runs, and trying to tie the mark of 50 set by a man named Foxx. Minnesota is in town, their playoff hopes in full fevered splendor. So we wait for that first Papi at bat, his slow walk to the batter's box, the crowd rising as one, screaming out "Papi Papi." Fenway Park will be ready for an eruption of epic proportions. One home run will bring the house down, and NESN and the radio network with it. And there will be September joy, in our hearts and souls. Two? I cannot even imagine. Oh, and we do end the season at home with two against Tampa Bay, and three against the Orioles......just in case. But the time is NOW.
The stage is set. The seats are ready to be filled by 36,000 fans who have one thing on their minds, in their hearts. And that is to see our beloved DH, the man we call Big Papi, make history. I'll be watching. You will be too. ENJOY.

12 Comments:

At 9/19/2006 11:22 AM, Blogger Iain said...

I just hope it doesn't turn into one of those "trying so hard that he can't get the ball out of the infield" affairs.

 
At 9/19/2006 12:29 PM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

It'll be a great 3 Days:

Not to worry;

Big Papi!

 
At 9/19/2006 1:16 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks, guys....I have faith...the right field bullpen, the first inning. Just my dreams during the day...

 
At 9/19/2006 1:16 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Deep, deep, deep....

 
At 9/19/2006 2:44 PM, Blogger HorshamScouse said...

Hi Peter, I think I'll have to delay the recovery from jet lag by a few days I'm back in the UK) to watch this drama unfold live from midnight.

 
At 9/19/2006 4:14 PM, Blogger laura said...

If he doesn't do it tonight, he better not do it early in the game tomorrow because I won't be home until after 7:30. And I do NOT want to miss this one!

 
At 9/19/2006 5:40 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

John, good luck. You can do it. And Laura, I'll be recording it on the DVR tomorrow night....stop by here Thursday and we'll watch it. You'll have the seat of honor, in Nesn HD! Popcorn included.

 
At 9/19/2006 7:44 PM, Blogger HorshamScouse said...

Not looking too good so far: four runs in the top of the second.
My flight out of Newark Sunday tracked over Hartford (in the dark unfortunately) so I tipped my hat in your direction! I also tried to see Fenway from the air but we were slightly too far north as we passed Boston ):

 
At 9/20/2006 7:04 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks for the hat tip....was it a Red Sox cap?

 
At 9/20/2006 2:50 PM, Blogger HorshamScouse said...

Figuatively, yes, it was my 2004 ALCS cap which was literally in the aircraft hold!

 
At 9/20/2006 2:51 PM, Blogger HorshamScouse said...

Figuratively.

 
At 9/20/2006 3:35 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

The most IMORTANT thing (caps mine) is that your flight got you safely where you were going. If I was the pilot, I would have beeped my horn. But then...they don't have them! Be safe, Peter

 

Post a Comment

<< Home