Monday, September 18, 2006

Two Little Two Late....But NICE!!

For the first time since July 4th 1973, the Boston Red Sox swept a doubleheader at Yankee Stadium. Yes, it's been that long. And they did it by pounding the Yankee bullpen. Pounded hard! Wright and Mussina were great in each start, but the Sox scored 4 runs in the 7th off Ron Villone in the first game and 3 runs off Scott Procter, Mike Myers and Farnsworth to take the second. Mike Timlin saved both ballgames and the Jeter hitting streak is dust. Now if only I could have written something similar, oh, say, last month when things were tight and pulses were pounding. But hey, we prevented them from clinching at our expense, and that's what I was hoping for. We couldn't ask for anything more.
An off day today before the hot Minnesota Twins come to Fenway. David Ortiz is sitting at 49 homers. Watch for Fenway to erupt when he launches number 50. At home. In the next three days. The stuff of dreams.

10 Comments:

At 9/18/2006 10:06 AM, Blogger Beazer said...

I guess I haven't focused on Big Papi's homeruns enough.

I'm going to be at Fenway tomorrow night - the idea that I could see his 50th homerun in person makes me a little giddy!

 
At 9/18/2006 10:08 AM, Blogger Amy said...

I was flipping to the games this weekend while watching football and I was thrilled to see the Sox take 3 of 4. I know it's kind of anti-climatic at this point (although there is still a small glimmer of miracle-based hope, right?) but just beating the Yankees in their stadium was nice.

 
At 9/18/2006 10:32 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Beaz, I'd be giddy too! Wow..I hope he does it for you (and me) tomorrow night. Imagine the ovation when he strides to the plate for his first at bat! And Amy, beating the Yanks twice in one day? It's been 33 years! Holy cow!!!!

 
At 9/18/2006 12:40 PM, Blogger laura said...

Hey, I cleared my cache and now there's a new post. It may not mean much now that the season's ending, but taking a series from the Yankees always puts me in a good mood. 3 wins plus a Pats win = good weekend (if only those Eagles could have won, too...).

 
At 9/18/2006 12:57 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

I am an anti-Giants fan....and wow, what a comeback. Not that I was watching...And what a warm afternoon here in North Central CT...Farmington....for another 36 hours. And then fall, autumn, the season after summer, my favorite...there are a few leaves that have gently fallen. A sign of things cooler to come...just like number 50 for you know who. And I can't wait!

 
At 9/18/2006 11:03 PM, Blogger Jess said...

For as little as it ultimately was worth, I was downright giddy at the Sox winning three of four.

Anyhoo, wanted to stop by and say hi Peter. Hope you're doin' spiffy!

 
At 9/18/2006 11:10 PM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

The Yanks, basically faced Pawtucket in August:

This time, they actually faced The Red Sox, not stand-ins.

 
At 9/19/2006 7:10 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

And now the eyes of Fenway turn to Papi...a post will be up by 10AM

 
At 9/19/2006 5:20 PM, Blogger BklynSoxFan said...

Great posts as always Peter. We definitely think along the same exact lines sometimes......

 
At 9/19/2006 5:42 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thank you Mr. Quinn...I have a great feeling about tonight...Around 7:24 PM.....or so. Can we all say....PAPI!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home