Saturday, October 28, 2006

King Cardinals......RIP Joe Niekro

The Saint Louis Cardinals, winners of only 83 games in the regular season, earned the right to call themselves the 2006 World Champions Of Baseball with better pitching, hitting and defense than their opponents, the Detroit Tigers. And Jim Leyland has won the Boob of the Year award for not going with his hottest pitcher when it counted the most. But eventually the Cardinals would have triumphed in this uninteresting matchup anyways. The Tigers did accomplish something. No pitching staff has ever made errors in each of the first five games of a World Series. Until now. And that's counting last night's game. Thanks go to Joel Zumaya, Todd Jones, Justin Verlander, and Fernando Roony. Pitcher's fielding practice will be a bigger part of spring training next year. Well done! Final score....4-2. Congratulations go to the St. Louis Cardinals and their manager, Tony LaRussa, and of course the players. You outplayed 'em in every possible way. So long baseball 2006. The off season, with all its wheelings and dealings, awaits. And you'll read about it right here.
On a sad note, famed pitcher Joe Niekro died yesterday from a brain aneurysm he suffured on Thursday. He was only 61. Rest in peace, Joe. Your cunning ways on the mound entertained us all. You will be missed.

7 Comments:

At 10/28/2006 8:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was rooting for the Tigers but they didn't deserve to win. You win if you are on top the last out of the last inning. I celebrate the Cardinal's fighting spirit!

 
At 10/28/2006 8:54 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

The Cardinals just did the simple things....they pitched better, fielded better, especially compared to the five errors in five nights the Tigers commited at the pitching position, right in the middle of the infield. They hit better, they plain out old fashionally OUTPLAYED them. Congrats Redbirds. And thanks for your comment, and for being here in the first place. The off season sometimes makes baseball blogs boring and less popular. NOT THIS PLACE, I have to hope. A small piece of the "blue nowhere" that is called the internet. If there is no baseball news, I'll write about the lack of baseball news. Or everyday life. So keep stopping by. I know...a shameless plug. But for some reason, my readers keep coming back. When I figure that one out, I'll let you know. But I love that little voice in my ear that allows me to hear what I write just before I actually type it. I hope that voice stays with me. And I hope you do, too. And everyone else who keep stopping by regularly, or once a week. You make me happy! And for that I thank you. Forever..... have a great weekend.

 
At 10/28/2006 8:56 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

And hauntingly beautiful art on your blog. I checked it out. And readers? Just click on his screen name, and then his blog, and prepare to say "WOW!"

 
At 10/28/2006 10:56 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

The Yankees, since their last rings, have spent near ONE BILLION DOLLARS on player aquisitions. Hey Georgie, great job!!!!!!!

 
At 10/31/2006 3:16 PM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

"cunning ways"???? You weren't that kind to Kenny Rogers. I guess if he had been doing his nails & stuck a nail file in his pocket instead of shtuff on his hand, that would be ok. I didn't know where the line was drawn for cheaters. I guess when KR checks out you'll have a couple of kind words for him, too.

 
At 11/01/2006 8:30 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

I don't speak ill of the departed. Wow, I thought we got along! KR is a thug.....nfn

 
At 11/01/2006 10:00 AM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

Oh, I still think we get along, I was just suprised after you expressed your thoughts about cheating in baseball, you glossed over Joe's pitching anomalies. Don't get me wrong. I'm not defending KR or dissing JN; I don't know anything personally about either of them and as far as I know JN was a fine man. I can appreciate your respect for the departed. Have a good day, Peter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home