Wednesday, November 01, 2006

The Future Is NOW!

This, from today's Globe, with a comment directly after from me. I looked around, and I was the only one here, so........

"Further evidence that the Red Sox' commitment to drafting and developing their own players is not just eyewash, as Jimy Williams would say, comes this week in Baseball America, the trade publication that pronounced that the Sox had the best amateur draft of the 30 major league teams this June.
"After depleting their system through call-ups and trades, the Red Sox took a big step toward restocking it with this draft," Baseball America wrote. "They addressed their biggest shortcoming (home run power) while also adding athletes and power arms."

Peter here, as promised. The future IS now. And the rewards that we will reap from this 2006 draft will happen soon. 2 years...maybe three. It's better not to rush a pitcher or a power hitter who CAN PLAY DEFENSE (directed at you, WMP). Sorry, but I still think we have a gaping black hole in rightfield, with its curves and alleys and Pesky Pole. Dewey's place...Trot's Territory. But the news from Baseball America tells us this......be patient, help is on the way through our minor league system. Quick fixes for '07 will be addressed by Theo and Baird and company. But the seeds for growth and development are planted in the exact right place....the Red Sox farm system. Where things, and people, are SUPPOSED to grow. And flourish. And that's good.

12 Comments:

At 11/01/2006 9:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you, Peter, that WMP is not ready for what you so kindly noted as Trot's Territory. I think that Trot is the one we need to have there this spring, and WMP needs to be dropped down to Pawtucket, and played there.

WMPneeds to work on ... well, everything?!? I just don't see what everyone else sees where he is concerned. I am not truly a fan of his yet, and he needs to come up with something big to get me to cheer, rather than complain!

 
At 11/01/2006 9:28 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

If Trot does sign a short term (2 year?) contract, I so hope it is with us...but the open market is tough. Some team might grab him. And I'd be sad. How was your Halloween??

 
At 11/01/2006 9:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree ... I would take Trot for however long I can get him ...

Halloween was nice ... but cold ... did you dress up ? You left it as a secret yesterday ! HAHA !

 
At 11/01/2006 12:27 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

I did......as myself. I had to visit to one friend and one Mom (mine, the MOST important) at a hospital and a rest home. I was needed, and I did it. Although there were no tricks, only treats. The smiles I saw were treats enough. And I am STILL smiling. Thanks Novy. Thanks to you!

 
At 11/01/2006 12:41 PM, Blogger Christine E. said...

Unfortunately, because WMP as drafted to the Yankees at such a young age (17!) he has no more options left--so they cannot just send him to Pawtucket--which is the reason he was not sent there last year...

I hope they sign Trot to a 1 or 2 year deal, but I am not optimistic...

 
At 11/01/2006 12:54 PM, Blogger Suldog said...

It is imperative that the Sox have a very good rightfielder. That is probably the toughest right field in the majors. My guess would be that having only a fair rightfielder can cost them two or three games a season.

 
At 11/01/2006 1:33 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Novy, and Sul..we've seen great players patrol our Fenway Park rightfield..and WMP has no chance to join that club....at least from my perspective....he's young. Maybe, just maybe...soon...But I can't finish that thought. Not right now....not in'06. As always, thanks for the comments.

 
At 11/01/2006 4:04 PM, Blogger Lloyd L. Corricelli said...

I'm glad to see the Red Sox finally get that trading top prospects for the Larry Anderson's of the world just to try and make it to the post-season isn't the answer.

Restock and become like the Orioles used to be. Great farm system, young homegrown stars and a few veterans brought in via free agency.

 
At 11/01/2006 5:00 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

yes we so have a gapping hole in right(wmp aint the answer)trot will be missed
-kaylee

 
At 11/01/2006 8:22 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

who can catch wake?
-kaylee

 
At 11/01/2006 9:49 PM, Blogger laura said...

Maybe they will set up that Kotteras as a knuckleball catcher.

 
At 11/02/2006 7:04 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Good questions all....the off season should be fun...AND frustrating.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home