Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Larry Luchino In Japan..TODAY!

From the Globe, just now, and a quick comment from the ever improving Peter. I'm baaack.........this is big...here we go...


TOKYO -- "The Red Sox have made an offer to pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka that Boston president Larry Lucchino describes as "fair" and "comprehensive."
Lucchino, in Tokyo on Tuesday after meeting with representatives of Matsuzaka's Seibu Lions, said the Red Sox have taken the next step toward signing the Japanese star.
"We have sent a formal offer to Matsuzaka and his agent Scott Boras," Lucchino said. "I believe it is fair and comprehensive, and offers a great deal of security and a substantial level of compensation."
Boston bid $51.1 million for the right to negotiate with Matsuzaka, who was the MVP of last spring's World Baseball Classic. The team has until the end of Dec. 14 to sign him.
“We are hopeful the negotiations process will complete itself fairly quickly, but knowing human nature we have a 30-day period," Lucchino said.
"One of the reasons we came here was to make clear to the Japanese baseball community, to Seibu and to the Matsuzaka fans that we are determined to sign Matsuzaka-san."
In his meetings with Seibu officials, Lucchino said he discussed the possibility of the Red Sox and the Lions forming a long-term "working relationship.""

Peter here, and this is JUST the sort of positive news, anything positive, that we needed to hear. I was beginning to fear the worst, but then again, LL knows how to spin things. And the lack of a responding comment from Boras(s)...????The Sox, if they are determined to sign JDD, should make it a two in one deal with the money hungry Boras(s)...we'll see. But this could be simple face-saving by Lucchino...I do not trust him to shine my shoes. Ever.

10 Comments:

At 11/28/2006 3:08 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Hmmm. I don't think it's a money issue as the Herald was alluding to....I think the issue is truly a Boras/Red Sox one, about length and free agency, not salary. Just my humble opinion.

 
At 11/28/2006 4:22 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Oh, it's all about the money, the per year total, and the number of years. Boras equals money....always.

 
At 11/28/2006 4:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somebody kick Boras in The Arse, from atop the Green Monster or The Shea Scoreboard, PLEASE?

Thanks!

 
At 11/28/2006 4:28 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Oh no no no Michael...MUCH higher than 39 feet...please....I'm talking about the Empire State Building. At least that's a start. Go UP from there.

 
At 11/28/2006 4:36 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

lets sign him.baby steps are a start but bigger steps help too.

 
At 11/28/2006 4:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know. I think the Sox are setting a dangerous precedent here. They're saying, in effect, that they're willing to lay out a similar amount of cash to any pitcher with similar stats. That is, $50 million to start and go from there to negotiate.

I may be paranoid and overstating, but it seems to me they're headed down a road that leads to a need for a new stadium at some point, to solve cash flow issues. That's something I do NOT want to see.

Just my two cents.

 
At 11/28/2006 5:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see your are back to yourself and posting again-- Stay well-

Niffer

 
At 11/28/2006 9:07 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

and one more thing is Larry's idea of fair the same as Scott Boras idea???????That is the question that will factor in to the equation.Enough of my rambling like anyone cares what my opionions are anyway.
-kaylee

 
At 11/28/2006 11:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad you're feeling better.
I'm really trying to tune out all the news right now until I hear something final I have enough problems as it is lol.

 
At 11/29/2006 6:59 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Kaylee, we care. Thanks Niffer. Sul, I'm with you..they would be setting a precedent. Hi Katiee

 

Post a Comment

<< Home