Saturday, November 04, 2006

Winter's Harbinger This Morning...And Rocket On My Mind

20 degrees F. this morning, early morning, here in North Central Connecticut. I live in the woods. Not the deep, "help, get me out of here" woods, but amongst the trees in the middle of a golf course. My place is located in the Farmington river valley...the ever lowering in angle sun barely sheds its golden light through the trees. An hour or so of direct slanted sunlight is all we can expect here, until March, with its lion beginning and its lamblike finish. That lack of sunlight combined with being in a river valley, and remember, cold air, without wind, sinks. To the lowest level. And that explains the head-shakingly cold low temperatures that we experience all winter long. No clouds, no wind, no direct sunlight...it's called radiational cooling. And that's why so many of the cold clear windless nights result in low temperatures that are 5-8 degrees lower than those you see on the weather during the local news. And being on ground level encases my place in a tomb of frigidity. Oh, you can go upstairs and feel the 5 degree difference in indoor temperature. But when the snow falls, and I'm sitting here in the living room with a roaring fire in the fireplace, maybe on the computer writing to you, I always smile when I look outside and see that the snow has crept up on the outside of the glass door slider. 3 inches, 6. 9.... until my feet on the soft rug are lower than the white stuff's level. Cozy? Heck yeah! And at a few minutes before 9am on this crystal clear frosty morn, it's still just 28.3 degrees F.

I told you that to tell you this. From the Globe today, and then the comment you should come to expect from me, the guy with the words. Most of the time......

"A no-decision for Roger Clemens. Clemens will file for free agency, but the seven-time Cy Young Award winner insists he hasn't decided whether he will pitch for the Houston Astros or anyone.....
Full season, half season or at all, I haven't even thought about it," Clemens said Thursday. "I just think it's too early to think about it. ... Right now, I don't have any thoughts of playing or not playing."
The 44-year-old Clemens didn't say when he will make up his mind about a 23rd season in the majors.
If Clemens does come back, it will likely to be for Houston, the New York Yankees, Boston or Texas. Any team outside that quartet is unlikely."

Peter here, ready for your comments on this always polarizing issue. To Rocket or not to Rocket? Or as the Three Stooges put it, "Have Rocket Will Travel" in one of the late in their career full length feature films. I think the Red Sox would do well with Roger as one of their starting five. His ERA with the Astros has been microscopic.....his team just doesn't score runs for him. How fitting would it be for him to end his career right where he started it...inside the cozy green-walled Fenway Park. The place of dreams. Enjoy your Saturday, and I will be here, waiting, breathless (OK, maybe NOT so breathless), for your comments. Jenny, no tomatoes, please. Or if you must, please make sure they're ripe.

18 Comments:

At 11/04/2006 9:15 AM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

William Roger Clemens is one who LOVES Attention:

Quite-Simply, he LOVES HIMSELF above all other things. He's something of a Self-Absorbed Hotshot.

 
At 11/04/2006 9:30 AM, Blogger HorshamScouse said...

To not Rocket if you ask me. He's essentially ratted every fanbase he's been with after he's left and he'd probably do the same to Houston except that he's sort of committed to living in the area after he finishes.

Don't want to see Clemens in a Sox uniform again before Cooperstown.

 
At 11/04/2006 9:31 AM, Blogger HorshamScouse said...

Incidentally, Peter: very atmospheric, evocative post. Sounds idyllic.

 
At 11/04/2006 9:36 AM, Blogger laura said...

I don't know about bringing Clemens back..how much longer can he really be effective? He is 44, after all.

 
At 11/04/2006 9:59 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

But Laura, wow, can he pitch,still...and John, thank you for the comment. I usually have a morning post up by 7, but today? I wish I could say I slept late, but nooo....it took a while to develop. The temperature outside helped a little with the kick-start.
Laura, his ERA these past couple years? Even with NL bats, he is still a PITCHER. We'll see...if it happens, it would be a one year thing. I know RSN is either for or against, and in a huge way. Everyone of you knows how much I love our team. I just think that Roger's pluses, even at his "advnaced" age, outweigh the minuses big time. And I remember watching him, in person at our Fenway, so so many times. Thanks for the comments. I'm sure there is flak to come...but not from that anonymous guy.

 
At 11/04/2006 10:43 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

And I hope he's gone forever.

 
At 11/04/2006 11:40 AM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

peter i say bring him back i want to see him in a sox uniform before a yankees uniform that is for sure and our rotation could use him.
-kaylee

 
At 11/04/2006 12:19 PM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

Kaylee makes a good point. If he's with the Sox, we have potentially a good pitcher and we make sure we don't have to face him as a yankee again. Double bonus!

 
At 11/04/2006 12:30 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

bosox fan in wichita.......thank you see i dont make pointless comments on these blogs (all the time at least).
-kaylee

 
At 11/04/2006 2:29 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Kaylee, AND BFW, I agree...only good things would result. And here I go bringing the wrath of RSN on my shoulders. Shouders strong enough to take it! Thanks!

 
At 11/04/2006 2:30 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

And K, no one here said, EVER, that you make pointless comments!

 
At 11/04/2006 2:32 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

oh i know but i feel like some of the things i do say are pointless
-kaylee

 
At 11/04/2006 5:19 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

KAYLEE....Pointless? NOT! And the idiot a**hole anonymous guy who is not here anymore forged your name!! He's gone...you're not. And that's great.

 
At 11/04/2006 6:46 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

yeah i dont know why but he is gone do i eont have to eorry
-kaylee

 
At 11/04/2006 7:00 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

and i never post as anoymous(on any blog) cause i figure it is fine to tell people who i am!
-kaylee

 
At 11/05/2006 1:14 AM, Blogger laura said...

Oh man, I didn't mean he was old at 44, but he is old for a pitcher. Just like 30 is old in tennis. I would rather see him in a Sox jersey than Yankees jersey, true, but I worry about his longevity. Of course, a one year deal has possibilities..

 
At 11/05/2006 4:01 PM, Blogger Beazer said...

I'm with Michael. "The Rocket" only cares about "The Rocket". I don't want him and his baggage. He pitched well last year...but he didn't start pitching until almost two months into the season. I want the Sox to put a team together and have them working together from the get-go. The last thing the Sox need is a prima donna whose name isn't "Manny" on the team.

 
At 11/06/2006 7:02 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

The only way I'd want Roger on the team is from day one. ONLY!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home