Thursday, December 28, 2006

Bobby Murcer Has Brain Cancer

This sad word came down late last night. After complaining of headaches and a lack of energy, a CAT scan revealed a brain tumor. He will undergo brain surgery today. I'm sure all of RSN wishes him the best.
Here is what he had to say late yesterday......

"I'm feeling OK and we're just going to have to see what this surgery will bring,'' Murcer told the Daily News by phone Wednesday night. "I'm hopeful that everything will turn out OK and I'm thankful to have so many friends who are rooting for me.''
Murcer was to be treated at the MD Anderson Hospital in Houston, one of the top cancer facilities in the nation, the newspaper said.
Murcer played 17 seasons in the major leagues from 1965-83 and was a five-time All-Star and a Gold Glove-winning outfielder. In his career with the Yankees, San Francisco Giants and Chicago Cubs, he batted .277 with 252 home runs and 1,043 RBIs."

Though he was the enemy on the field, in between the lines, in real life he's just like you and me. Human. Good luck Bobby!

4 Comments:

At 12/28/2006 10:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

enemy on the field or not It is sad and good luck with the surgery BOBBY our thoughts are with you.....:(

 
At 12/28/2006 11:52 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Well said...

 
At 12/28/2006 4:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bobby's a Great Guy:

Prayers go out to him.

 
At 1/10/2007 2:47 PM, Blogger Michael said...

I stumbled onto your blog after hearing Mike Francesa on WFAN in NYC saying the the tumor was malignant and doing a Google search for any updated article.

As a native New Yorker, born in the early 60s, I was a huge Murcer fan. His tribute game to Munson (who was better than Fisk btw), where he drove in all five runs the day after the funeral still brings tears to my eyes when I see the DVD highlights. He was the best Yankee during a down period, and a good overall player. If what I hear is true, he is a good person as well. I wish him the best and will keep him in my prayers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home