Thursday, December 14, 2006

It's A Dice-K Day! Number 18 Arrives!

*****LUGO SIGNING OFFICIAL------'BELLI BACK*****

The news conference announcing the newest pitcher for the Boston Red Sox will be at 5pm today, Thursday. The terms of the six year deal made it abundantly clear that the devil himself, Scott Boras, was not in a strong position to deal from. With only one team, ours, to bargain with, the terms were much more what the Red Sox had in mind instead of Boras' sometimes insane mumblings. $52 to $61 million with incentives over 6 years is fair to both sides. And so we wait for the 5pm news confab, with smiles all around. And he will wear, as we all shall see, number 18....hummm, that number rings a bell, doesn't it? And it's in much better hands with Dice-K...after all, the number 18 means life, la'chaim, in Hebrew. And that's what he will bring to our club.

In other Red Sox news, Julio Lugo's 4 year deal was officially announced, and it was also announced that Doug Mirabelli will return in his back-up catcher role for $750,000.
And now the front office can turn its eyes to the bullpen, which is still two pitchers minimum short, including the closer. And without a bullpen, which right now is too similar to last year's, and without Paps in the closing role, there is work to be done. But we will enjoy today. Theo....great job. Boras, go home!
We proud members of RSN are sure to enjoy today, one that is guaranteed to be a "so great to be a Red Sox fan" day. Oh yeah!

And now RSN turns it's not lonely any longer eyes to the bullpen......the last job left to be done. Everyone....have fun on Dice-K Day...we will remember this all season long! And I'll remember you FOREVER. As always!

6 Comments:

At 12/14/2006 7:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

we all knew DM would be in a Red Sox uniform in 2007 !!! He wanted to play in MLB he wouldn't have cared what they offered ... only Boras would have.

Glad to have Belli back ...

 
At 12/14/2006 8:11 AM, Blogger ~**Dawn**~ said...

add me to the list of fans glad to see Dougie back. but as for Matsu being a good deal? the agreed upon contract isn't bad, in & of itself, but i keep recalling that the cost to the Red Sox is really almost double that when you take into consideration that huge fee they will be just to have had these heart-attack-quality talks with him & his greedy, scumbag agent.

 
At 12/14/2006 9:00 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Dawn, the Sox paid are fair sum for 6 years of Dice K, and Boras was out-maneuvered by Theo 100%. Gil Mech went for $55 mill...he's a medicre pitcher. And the Sox will recoup most of that $51 million...all in all, a SPLENDID deal.
Novy, hi. And I agree, Belli for one or two games out of 5 with his ability to watch Wake is nice. If only he can keep his batting ave. over .220.
Thank you both for the comments.5pm should be fun-4pm your time Novy, but no NESN. The conference will be somewhere on the web, I promise!

 
At 12/14/2006 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say that it was quite a memorable moment for me to see a figure such as $52 million for 6 years (on top of the huge money already paid for the right to bargain). I love to watch professional sports, I do. But the money spent is absurd. ABSURD. I know that just by watching I am supporting the very thing I hate, but at the very least, I will not give them my money by buying a ticket to a game. I just can't justify it.

 
At 12/14/2006 11:09 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Hi Amy...I have to disagree...the $51 million, although it IS John Henry's money, will not count towards the luxury tax, and the Sox will recoup that soon. Boras(s) wanted so much more. We got a bargain......

 
At 12/15/2006 10:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not talking about the money lost to the Red Sox for paying that amount, I'm talking about the fact that the average teacher gets $35K a year and we're paying some guy $8million a year to throw a ball every 8 or 9 days. I think it's absurd. That's all.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home