Friday, December 29, 2006

Mercer News...RJ Too......

The good news out of Texas is that doctors removed Bobby Murcer's cancerous brain tumor and late yesterday he was awake and resting comfortably. No further details were released, but I know we hope that the doctors were able to remove ALL of the growth and that Bobby will be in no way permanently disabled. Cancer is scary, especially brain cancer.
In RJ news, losing out on Barry Zito seems to have in no way affected the Yankees desire to trade RJ for young pitching. The wire services tell me that the Yankees would like at least two of the following three pitchers from the Diamondbacks, who are the team hottest on the trail of Ol' Lefty.....Dustin Nippert is a 6-8 righthander who was 13-8 with an ERA of 4.87 at Triple A. Micah Owings, a 6-5 righty, was 6-2 at Double A and 10-0 at Triple A (!!). And lastly, Ross Ohlendorf, a 6-4 righty who was 10-8 ,with a 3.28 ERA in Double A. By acquiring 2 of those 3, the Yankees will add young dependable arms while jettisoning RJ's $16 million dollar paycheck. Now that doesn't sound like a bad deal to me. In fact, I'm wondering why the Diamondbacks are so hot and heavily going after Johnson. The Yankees, at least in this case, are being smart.
More news later, but with the Sox offices closed for the holidays, there might not be much about them until Tuesday, when we should hear something about JD Drew. Enjoy your New Year weekend everybody. I'll pop up from time to time to check in. Count on me!

14 Comments:

At 12/29/2006 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Randy J is a Gate Attraction & that's all.

 
At 12/29/2006 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW, "December 45th" will premiere after "The OT", on FOX.

 
At 12/29/2006 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha ha.....you're great!! No one will get that but me!!!

 
At 12/29/2006 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Peter!

 
At 12/29/2006 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I honestly have no idea why the diamondbacks want RJ other then the fact,that they need a couple more strters.They also think he will do better in the National league VS the American league.As for Murcer thank god he had successful surgery.I wish him the best in his recovery.
-kaylee

 
At 12/29/2006 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12/29/2006 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12/29/2006 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The diamondbacks say RJ could be a diamondback within a week.

 
At 12/29/2006 4:34 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12/29/2006 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't decide which one I'm more excited about, Igawa, Pavano or the disappointment of a flat Pettitte in the Yankees rotation. Half their rotation for next year didn't make a single major league pitch last year. And people say the Red Sox rotation has question marks...

 
At 12/29/2006 4:39 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Hey Mike...I think this year all the rotation question marks are on your side, the pinstriped one! We'll see.......Happy New Year!!!

 
At 12/29/2006 11:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My side? I might live in NY but I'm a Red Sox fan.

 
At 12/30/2006 6:33 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

My bad....I meant where you live, not your team, which is OUR team!! I should have written that a little better!!!

 
At 12/30/2006 6:33 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Happy New Year Sul!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home