Tuesday, December 05, 2006

A Visit To The Connecticut Department Of Motor Vehicles

Yes, I had to go. Today. My license would have expired on my birthday, which this year falls on a Sunday, December 10th, for those of you who want to know. Two days before that is the black Friday known as December 8th. More on that on Friday. So, well, after you read my last post, I can't tell you I woke up EARLY. Because that's when I wake up. EARLY. And it was cold. Not Wyoming cold, but a Connecticut cold on an early and crisp December morning. 23, with mostly cloudy skies. Believe me, if there was NO wind and completely clear skies, radiational cooling would have kicked in. What does that mean, Peter? I'll tell you. Even with non-snow covered ground, with little or no wind AND clear skies, anywhere, the heat will escape into the skies beyond. Without the wind, the cooler air will sink as the nighttime atmosphere cools. In a nutshell, if it's winter and there's a clear sky with little or no wind, the temperatures will plummet. Add a little snow cover? Brr times two.
Oh! I told you that to tell you this.
I waited until almost the last minute to renew my drivers license. No man in uniform took it away, and I had until Sunday, December 10th to do it, but I WANTED TO GET IT DONE. I explained this to a dear friend of mine. So I thought, "Peter, wouldn't the best plan of action be to stop at work and pick up the necessary paperwork that was sent to me in the beginning part of November (yes, sometimes I do put off things), and GET THERE EARLY!" Key words indeed. I noticed that the DMV opened on Tuesday, after being closed Sunday and Monday, at 8am. I'm all set! Now all I was worrying about were traffic jams, accidents, idiots and other traffic hazards. So.......phew...part one of the trip was from my home in Farmington to my workplace, in Hartford, where gentle snow was falling, as if the flakes were saying to me, "Peter, you're going to be fine. You're getting there early!" P.S. My first snowflake quote EVER!
Well, the flakes were right. I arrived in Wethersfield CT, 8 miles east of Hartford, with Howard on the Sirius radio in my car, at 7:55. There was a line, but it only consisted of 20 people. And then presto! The doors opened a couple minutes before 8am EST, and I knew something that I realized before my head left my pillow. I'm GOLDEN! This day that started out with me literally JUMPING out of bed with delight (I was alone) would stay great. And lo and behold (whatever that means), for the first time in ALL my years, I was out in 14 minutes. And the pic on my license even turned out well. Secret---to all..think of someone who makes you smile and the state owned polaroid picture camera that captures all of us at one time or another will be kind. And that friend? You know who you are. And YOUR friend too. She's right beside you this morning.
Sooooo, all in all, this was the best MVD experience I've ever had. And as for winter meeting news, I'll be here when the circumstances, shockingly happy or slap my face sad, and you, my most important people, need me to be here. I am on call forever.
And ya know what. I had so much fun writing this. Maybe because I have a new license? Or maybe not. May your Tuesday be great. Every day...I hope I can be a part. I really do. And I will. I promise, even though my day took a sad turn. Just now. As the song goes, "I WILL SURVIVE."

5 Comments:

At 12/05/2006 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you got to the DMV safe & sound ... and if anyone ever gets a nice picture it's reason to smile !

 
At 12/05/2006 3:13 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

And? Maybe........ooops, it's a secret..but maybe.....

 
At 12/06/2006 7:13 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Craig! Holy sh*t. And you set up a blogger account so that you can comment. Good job. Did you read the post about HDTV (yours) a few posts back?

 
At 12/06/2006 6:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

14 Minutes?

A New MVD World's Record!

 
At 12/07/2006 6:51 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Michael, a record I am proud of, one that will stand for the next 6 years (until my license is up for renewal).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home