Monday, January 01, 2007

An Ongoing Concern For All Fans RSN. And One That We Will Live With......Until Theo And Company Resolve This One Glaring Weakness Of The Team We Love

Ok, ok, it's only January 1, but the Red Sox must seriously try to nail down a closer for 2007 and beyond. You've heard this here from me before. Too many times? Maybe, but until the deed is done, I will always think that the KEY to our 2007 version of the Sox will be the closer. That's what it looks like right now. Not that Theo has put together too many jig-saw pieces of the always convolutedly hard-to-put-together pieces of this 2007 team we love. As always, there are two different trains of thoughts....the first being that our closer is here, on our club as it exists right now. Be he Hansen or Tavarez or whoever! Read on.....

"The Red Soxs' search for a closer carried into the new year apparently no closer to a resolution.
The club remains interested in Washington Nationals right-hander Chad Cordero, who went 7-4 with 29 saves in 33 opportunities last season, but is currently unwilling to part with a top pitching prospects such as Craig Hansen and right-hander Michael Bowden (9-6, 3.51 ERA in 24 starts at Single-A Greenville). They are mostly focused on Clay Buchholz, who the Sox have refused to deal. The 22-year-old, a sandwich pick (42nd overall) in the 2005 draft, went a combined 11-4 with a 2.42 ERA in 24 starts between Greenville and Single-A."

It's me here, interupting my own post....the next paragraph is too true, from the Globe of Boston, our kind of town.......

"It's daunting to think that the Yankees have Mariano Rivera, the Blue Jays have B.J. Ryan, and the Orioles have Chris Ray. The Red Sox are probably right to assume that their bullpen innings will decrease with the improvement of their rotation. Great. But who finishes?"

And that's the "second" prevailing train of thought. WHO FINISHES? And on this first day of 2007, the answer remains unknown. FOR NOW. I think that question will be answered soon...and Theo and his elves will put our minds to rest. For clearly, the closer will be the LAST piece of the puzzle that is the 2007 Boston Red Sox. American League beware! National League beware! We're coming to get you! Soon!!! With smiles and superior talent. And with great fans!

To everyone, enjoy this first day of 2007. Our Sox will be fine. Through winning streaks. Through losing streaks. THROUGH SPRING TRAINING, in fact. And so will we, Sox fans forever...I PROMISE! Thank you everyone for reading my sometimes sparse but sometimes timely words. I will try to do it ALL for you! I really will. I promise......so stay. I love you all. HAPPY NEW YEAR'S DAY 2007...I'll be here for you as you'll be here for me......and that I promise. Forever...........SHHH, quiet! I hear a faint sound, almost an echo. Wait, I think I can make out the words, although they are so diminished by the background noise that surrounds us everyday. But it says, I'm SURE it says..."Play ball!" I can live with that! Take care my readers...I love each and every one of you........

16 Comments:

At 1/01/2007 1:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Peter,

Happy New Year! A year ago the Sox were in GM turmoil. Now a closer (???),a happy Manny(?) and a healthy Drew(?) could make for a great 2007! Cordero sounds good to me.

Kevin

 
At 1/01/2007 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think in a year or two Craig Hansen might be a fine closer but,not in '07.I think he needs more major league experience first.
As for Tavarez would they stop mentioning him as a closer.He is clearly not onr.He needs to learn how to pitch out of the bullpen in a noncloser's role first.

 
At 1/01/2007 2:17 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thaks! You know I added your link too!!!

 
At 1/01/2007 2:17 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

And Kaylee, be well...

 
At 1/01/2007 2:19 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Have 2 go...but.........

 
At 1/01/2007 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Peter! And on the closer role, I'd like them to find someone within the organization who decides he wants to be the closer and does all he can to make it happen. Wishful thinking? Hope not.

 
At 1/01/2007 3:17 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Hi to you Laura! Happy New Year too@!!

 
At 1/01/2007 3:48 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Kaylee and CH? wow..a stetch...

 
At 1/01/2007 3:50 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

And I meant to spell the word stretch......Kaylee, it's just that I have a new pizza , in MY oven , and I'm so happy! Say hi to Julie for me...she is the best...as are you. Peter.......

 
At 1/01/2007 3:51 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

And Laura? HI!!!

 
At 1/01/2007 3:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay I will:)

 
At 1/01/2007 4:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Years!!!!!
spring trainings almsot here i can feel it

 
At 1/01/2007 4:11 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Katiee, thanks for your kind words..... we all know what is coming will BE coming...and thanks..Happy healthy New Year.....to you!!!!!!

 
At 1/01/2007 4:31 PM, Blogger Tim Daloisio said...

I am all for trying to find a little magic from within in the first few months of the season. With Lester getting back into form in the minors, if there is no closer found or noone to trade with midseason, move Paps back and Lester into the 5.

Tim
Red Sox Times

 
At 1/02/2007 6:44 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Sounds like a formula, Kevin. And welcome!! But finding a closer from within is inviting disaster.

 
At 1/02/2007 8:51 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

And Tim, nice to hear from you. But I am afraid that the up and down nature of closing is not suited to Paps' shoulder....and I'd hate to see him "pop" something. Every fifth day might be less of a strain as he can utilize ALL his pitches and not have to go "all out" to blow away the opposing batter. And that's something he did so well last year. I hope the Sox have an alternative, someone who is 70% of what Paps did last year. The ONE hole on our club right now! Plug it Theo.....we look so good except for the closer spot. Almost too good to believe. Oh, and rightfield too...we'll see!!!!! Thanks for your comment Tim, and everyone!!!! I thank you so much..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home