Sunday, February 25, 2007

One Plus One Equals.........

You be the judge. First, from Tito......on Jon Lester......

"Francona was impressed with Jon Lester's live batting practice effort and said Lester "is doing everything everyone else is doing."

And now, in THIS CORNER,, Jonathon Papelbon, Paps, with HIS thoughts on pitching as a member of the rotation, or...or....well, read on.....and both blurbs were from today's Globe, accessed in full with a click of the title.......

"While the Red Sox go about looking for a new closer, Jonathan Papelbon continues to say he'll go back to the bullpen if the club makes such a request. Papelbon, recovered from a shoulder injury, is almost certain to start the season in the rotation, but he remains a great alternative if the closer search comes up empty.
"I'll definitely miss closing," the big righty said yesterday. "It was a joy for me, but I've got to turn the page. I'll help out any way I can. I know I said last summer that I'd love to close for the next 12 years, and I'm not going to deny that I said that, but the manager came to me with a decision he made and we're going to go with it.
"If they ask me to go back, we'll have to sit down and go over the pros and cons and do what is best for the team."

What's best for the team, or what's best for YOU, Paps, shoulder and all? That's where it becomes vitally important to make the right decision, and Jonathon's long major league future hangs in the balance. Some of us would say that the Sox HAVE five great starters-to-be (with Jon Lester.) Others (me included) would rather have the search within the bullpen for a closer continue until there is a certainly of our future closer being out there, or a certainly that the Sox will HAVE to look elsewhere. To me, Paps, even with all his brilliance in the closer's role of 2006, should be a last resort, for if his shoulder indeed can not take the up, up and down and up yet again stuff that makes a closer THE closer, then why risk it? Especially if there's a certain someone, a man who can adapt to the role exacly the same way that Paps did last year, who is out there and ready to be the lights-out late inning guy. I do not expect miracles ala Paps THIS year, not yet, but it's early and hope abounds. Caution is the way to go.. that's the right path for right now.....
Everyone, my readers, enjoy your Sunday...be well and be happy. And thanks for being here. As always, I'd love to respond to your comments. And click on the title for the entire post...it's a good one.

7 Comments:

At 2/25/2007 8:37 AM, Blogger Ian said...

I really think that if Lester has a great spring and no one emerges as a bona fide closer that if it will not hurt Papelbon's shoulder, he will be the closer. Either that or the Red Sox will explore trade options.

 
At 2/25/2007 8:46 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Ian, anything is possible and everything will probably happen!
But I deep down think the Sox FO are hoping that someone, anyone, will step into the closer's HUGE cleats and let Paps be our number three. But we'll see! Have a great Sunday, with a little snow mixed in for the morning rush! P

 
At 2/25/2007 11:55 AM, Blogger Kevin Scalley said...

It definitely would be a good thing for the Sox to have a lefty in the rotation (Lester). Always against the Yanks and other teams for sure! What a problem to have too many starters! That never ends up happening. What I question about Papelbon's role is as a starter he is hoped to go 200 innings and as a closer 60-70. I know closers are up every night or so warming up. It just seems like a wash as far as wear on the arm in the long run and the old expression " everything in moderation" comes to mind to me. Which makes me think closing is better on the shoulder. I think only Pap's shoulder knows the true answer and everything else is conjecture.

 
At 2/25/2007 12:16 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

FB, exactly, and I don't want to conjecturize (my own word). If we see Paps early in the season as the closer, there'd be something wrong...WAY wrong....So....Paps as our closer early means big huge problems, at least right now!
Enjoy the Sunday ! Peter...I'm pretty certain of what I just said......nearly POSITIVE. But what do I know? I can answer that, but not right now! I'm just not saying my true opinion because I've typed it so so so much!

 
At 2/25/2007 3:04 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

PAPS WILL BE FINE ANYWHERE!surgery for me tomorrow:(

 
At 2/25/2007 3:40 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

KAYLEE, good luck, number one!!!!!! Write and comment when you can!!!!!!!!!

 
At 2/25/2007 3:54 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

oh I will:]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home