Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Shaky?

This from today's Herald....keyword BULLPEN. A word from me about the Nor'easter that has no snow follows, and the entire article, as usual, is available by clicking on the title. Here you go....

"During his time as manager of the Red Sox, Grady Little frequently shared the same anecdote. Just before the start of spring training each year, Little said, his wife would assess her husband’s chances for the coming season with a single question:
“How does your bullpen look?”
At the start of 2007, the answer is obvious:
Shaky at best.
Following a year in which Jonathan Papelbon [stats] emerged as one of the most dominating closers in baseball, the Sox will open spring training this week without a true closer. Going into this spring, Francona is under no illusions; the Sox need to find a closer. Any suggestion that the club will try to make do with a closer-by-committee is summarily dismissed by the manager, who believes that there is a closer among veterans Donnelly, Pineiro, Julian Tavarez and Mike Timlin [stats].
The Sox just have to find him."

Peter here, and AMEN to that. The arms are there, with six (6!) solid guys competing for the five spots that make up the '07 starting rotation to be. This is what spring training 2007 is for......defining bullpen roles. The lack of a closer, or the failure to find one, could ruin the season. Do I think that scenario is likely. NOT ON YOUR LIFE!
About this coastal storm. It's cold at ground level, cold enough to snow. Right now at 8:20 AM EST, it is 12.2 degrees F. The storm has traveled from Virginia, hugging the coast the whole way on its trek northeast. Right now its center is just east of New Jersey, and will pass near or over eastern Rhode Island. If it had passed about 100 miles to the east, over Cape Cod, we'd be on the way to a foot and a half of snow. Instead, pinging sleet, precipitation that melts on its way through the narrow layer of warmer air in the lower levels of the atmosphere, is the norm. And when it hits the ground, the cold air already in place and still streaming south from Canada, it freezes. I like snow, and would love to see it piling up. Right now. But it ain't going to happen.
OK, that's enough weather talk. Care to see the local, or ANY, radars?? Click on the WVIT NBC 30 link box, on your right. And follow it to the Weather Desk. Thanks for reading, yet again......

16 Comments:

At 2/14/2007 10:42 AM, Blogger Ian said...

Don't you wish you were at spring training right now?

It's so much fun to listen to the sleet hit the windows.

 
At 2/14/2007 11:35 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

It is loud! And for your first question? Oh yes!

 
At 2/14/2007 11:35 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Horizontally....at least right now.....

 
At 2/14/2007 12:37 PM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

Ft. Myers sounds pretty good, right now. Shoot, I'd shag flies if they would let me.

 
At 2/14/2007 1:05 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Me too!!!!!! And I'm good at it......

 
At 2/14/2007 4:51 PM, Blogger Novella said...

I would do a lot more than shag flies ... LOL ... I'd play catch if they let me ! :)

 
At 2/14/2007 4:54 PM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

No fair, Novy ... you've got more bargaining power!

 
At 2/14/2007 5:10 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Novy, I'd join you if I could! Hey BFW...boy, the crap outside has turned to snow, but I'm working in my baseball glove in (by sitting on it!). Thanks!

 
At 2/14/2007 5:18 PM, Blogger Novella said...

BFW: a girls gotta do, what a girls gotta do !

I would do anything for the sake of my Red Sox boys ... well ... almost !

 
At 2/14/2007 6:28 PM, Blogger Katiee said...

aaaah I had a snow day today that just makes my life, plus vacation next week, plus P&C soon, things are lookin pretty good right now lol

 
At 2/14/2007 6:28 PM, Blogger Katiee said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 2/14/2007 6:39 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

Snow day?That would never happen here We are happy if we get rain!:)

 
At 2/14/2007 6:41 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

It was a warm 70 here today:)

 
At 2/14/2007 9:17 PM, Blogger laura said...

All I got here was rain rain rain. I would love to be in Florida right now, but I don't think they'd appreciate that at work!

 
At 2/15/2007 8:04 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Hi Laura...hi Katiee. I'm glad you had a snow day. And Kaylee, I did speak to you in Spanish in an earlier post's comments. I asked you how you were. Mi nombre es Pedro.

 
At 2/15/2007 8:06 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

And Nov, I'd play catch with you anytime, AT Fenway, on the field. If we could. You might say I'm a dreamer....well, I am! And always positive, even when things are down. Right now, things are good....Thanks to everyone for your comments. I thank you! Forever.......

 

Post a Comment

<< Home