Saturday, February 10, 2007

SI's Pre-Season Red Sox Preview

It's that time of the year, a time when not a single pitch has been thrown in practice, spring training or a regular season game. We'll have our fill of that soon, and I can't wait. But mid-February is also the time of the winter when those "in the business" of writing about sports do exactly that. Pre-season previews of your favorite MLB teams. SI has come out with theirs. I'll just give you a sample here: their Red Sox preview. Their "final analysis" portion of the piece follows....but I implore you to click on the title and read the entire article. It's a quick and informative read, with much to like about the team we love to love.......

"Clearly, a third-place finish did not sit well with the Boston Red Sox. So after finishing one game behind the Toronto Blue Jays last year, the Red Sox embarked on a shopping spree during which they increased their payroll to roughly $160 million. As a result, big things are expected in Boston this year, though that is obviously the case every season."

Final Analysis.............

"After going to the playoffs for three straight seasons from 2003-05, the Red Sox slipped up in '06. Despite a $135 million payroll, the Sox finished with an 86-76 record, good for only third place behind the New York Yankees and Toronto Blue Jays in the American League East. On paper, this club looks a good deal stronger, particularly in the lineup and starting rotation. If the Red Sox can get their bullpen situation straightened out and settle on a closer, they should be back in the mix for a postseason berth."

Peter here, your ever ready Boston Red Sox Energizer Bunny type of guy. Bullpen? Closer? Yes, I THINK I've written a word or two about what will eventually make or break our season. Postseason? Oh yeah, I expect it. An injury spate like the one that hit us last year does not happen often. Or at least we hope it doesn't. So read the entire article...it's only a 2 minute read, and then comment on it. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this greyish and cold Saturday. We here in southern New England, north central Connecticut to be exact, have a chance for a coastal storm Tuesday night and Wednesday, but as is the case for a storm not yet formed, the computer projections are all over the place. We'll know much more by Sunday evening. You'll read about it here. Promise.
Now go click on the title, and after reading it, do you agree, disagree? Are they entirely wrong on one thing or another?? My comments will follow yours. Thanks for being here, and for reading. I hope you enjoy this blog, my little slice of heaven. Stay well!

16 Comments:

At 2/10/2007 10:57 AM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

That's a pretty good analysis. I was suprised they said there was a concern with depth of our starting rotation because of the age of Curt & Timmy. If there's any validity to that concern, I think it is offset by the unknown factor & promise of what our farm system might produce - which they do say is getting deeper & deeper. We have 15 or so pitchers besides our starters, plus all the Minor League prospects. Besides, we have Lester whom, with everything justifiable in this world, could & should be back on the mound. Once we find that closer, I think pitching will be an exciting part of the team in '07.

 
At 2/10/2007 11:09 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Exciting? Oh yes....so are your comments......and thanks! Be back a little later....BFW....

 
At 2/10/2007 11:26 AM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 2/10/2007 11:26 AM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

Um first place sounds better to me than third.I am excited about the pitching in 2007.I am so ready for baseball to start:)

 
At 2/10/2007 12:24 PM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

Me too, Kaylee! I've got NESN now & I'll be watching a lot of Red Sox ... starting 2/28/07. Less than 3 weeks!!!

 
At 2/10/2007 12:55 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

I watch them Online so I can watch many teams cause I love baseball but,I will be watching every sox game:)

 
At 2/10/2007 1:04 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

And hi on this Satursay!!! Thanks Kaylee and BFW........

 
At 2/10/2007 1:05 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

And BFW, once we find OUR closer, the world is ours! Take care!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 2/10/2007 2:18 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

OOOPS..a knock on my door...guess who?

The pizza is here! I'm happy.....I'm only allowed 2 slices because of my diabetes, but treadmill after the meal does the trick.
Stay well, EVERYONE!!!!!! Peter

 
At 2/10/2007 2:18 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

And Kaylee, hi to you too....

 
At 2/10/2007 2:22 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

Yeah I love pizza but,That is one of the many foods you have to be careful with when you are a diabetic.

 
At 2/10/2007 4:56 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Kaylee, I know how to be careful...exercise after pizza.... and the right amount of insulin AND only 2 or 3 slices per month!!!!!

 
At 2/10/2007 4:56 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Which I like more of, but I no can do! Night!!!!!

 
At 2/10/2007 5:08 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks K, BFW, and FB!!!!

 
At 2/11/2007 3:11 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

It's pretty fair. I see you and Yanks battling for 1-2, and much of everything hill hinge on the 'pen, along with Beckett and his propensity to give up the gopher ball.

 
At 2/11/2007 3:33 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

M O F...the pen is where makes and breaks will be!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home