Tuesday, March 20, 2007

The Best Closer Is Where?

From the Salem Mass. News...and then a word. And YES, this is tough for me to write....I just heard from the vet's office, and my cat, Baby Cakes, is coming home. He might have a mass near his liver, and an ultrasound will be needed, but the doctor promised me that he's in good spirits, hungry, and waiting to go home. To me. His Dad. And I'm waiting too. To always know that someone is RIGHT there, following in my footsteps, for all these years. Well, it reduces me to a blithering tearful guy. And maybe, just maybe, we will be able to spend his 19th (!!!!) birthday together. Emotional me. I think it's called being a Dad. Read this, about our bullpen.....and please read the entire article by clicking on the title.....it is THAT good!

"To me, the best closer is in the starting rotation," said the American League talent evaluator who has been assigned to the monitor the Red Sox this spring. "That's not my call and that's not my say. But to see (Jonathan Papelbon) start and see him close, for my money he has the mentality and stuff that you would want in a closer. (Boston) has got some solid sixth- and seventh-inning guys, but I'm not convinced they have got a closer other than the guy in the rotation. I don't think any of them possess closer stuff.
Their takes were along the lines that if Papelbon doesn't slide back into the bullpen, then the optimum time to make a deal might be a month or two, when the other party in a deal might be just as desperate for help.
"It's hard for me, seeing the club last year and what Papelbon did, to imagine they won't have someone finishing off games. It's a tough one, especially when the rotation is so good."

Peter here. It's a "tough one" for me too. We'll be OK, but with all the improvements made and the cash expenditures of the off-season, I also cannot believe that the club will stumble into the early April start of the season without a closer. So we wait. And we'll see. I'm used to it. And the entire article is a must-read! I mean it. So please click on the title of this post. And I'd love to hear your comments.

Thanks for reading me. Clearly, I miss my "little guy." Thank you for reading about us, too. He means SO much to me. You're the best. And so is he.................

8 Comments:

At 3/20/2007 11:38 PM, Blogger Katiee said...

aww I hope your cat is going to be okay but wow 19 that's crazy

 
At 3/21/2007 6:38 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

18 for a couple more months.

 
At 3/21/2007 2:15 PM, Blogger Jess said...

Oh Peter, I hope he comes home feeling better and is able to be with you for more time.
Every day counts.

 
At 3/21/2007 4:51 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks Jess...I just picked him up at noon today (Wed.)...but he has an ultrasouund Friday AM, and I think they're just letting us have another day and a half together. He has a mass near his liver...he is the best, and if we have to say goodbye Friday morning, I will be heartbroken. But I promised him....no suffering. Wow, this is so tough for me....I'm a nervous crybaby wreck.

 
At 3/21/2007 4:51 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

And Katiee, you could have put that much more nicely.........you're temporarily on my sh** list.

 
At 3/21/2007 10:11 PM, Blogger Katiee said...

I didn't mean for it to sound rude and actually now that I'm reading it it is pretty mean and honestly I don't really know what to say cause I think it would come out wrong
I'm sorry

 
At 3/21/2007 10:54 PM, Blogger Katiee said...

I really do feel bad I just want you to know

 
At 3/22/2007 7:14 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

I know Katiee. My nerves are frazzled so completely. I'm sorry for my short fuse. The cat is home with until Friday morning, when he is scheduled for an ultrasound. I was told not to expect good news, so maybe today (Thursday) is our last one together. I don't know, but he'll NEVER suffer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home