Friday, March 23, 2007

The First Four Starts

Oh what a relief it was to hear that the Red Sox had reinstalled Jonathon Papelbon into the closer's role. It was something that used to keep him up at night, that longing to come in and blow away the last three guys, preserving a Red Sox win. John, from the UK, commented on my yesterday post and suggested that the Red Sox will win and they'll win with a team effort. His main point......one guy cannot produce victories....a team effort does. I countered with this. Yes, the Sox WILL win as a team and because of the effort by ALL the guys on the roster. But when it comes to the ninth, or near it, in a close game, with the Sox ahead and needing three quick outs to run off the field victorious, it all comes down to one guy. Jonathon Papelbon. So the TEAM will produce victories, but the closer will nail them down and put the official seal of victory on 'em. Many games, we hope. 40 sounds good to me! With his strengthened shoulder and frequent monitoring along with the strengthening excercises that have given him the mightest shoulder on the team, thereby lessening the chances for a reoccurance of shoulder woes, he will be fine. Sure, he'll have his days off here and there when someone else will come in in a save situation. But that happens with every team, every closer.
And just for the fun of it, from USA Today sports, here are Daisuke's first four start statistics, coming soon to a ballpark near you. And then it's off to the vets for Baby Cakes and me, for the final time. I'll have something to say about him when I return in an hour or so. And this will be so tough for me, but almost 19 years ago, I promised him and his brother Sugar Bear that there would never come the day that they would suffer. I intend to keep my promise. That's what Dad's do. At least THIS dad.

Date Opponent Venue Comment

April 5 Royals Kauffman Stadium Could pitch to fellow AL Rookie of the Year candidate Alex Gordon

April 11 Seattle Fenway Park How many bases can Ichiro Suzuki swipe against him?

April 16 Angels Fenway Park 10:05 a.m. ET start time on Patriots Day; but that's after 11 p.m. in Japan

April 21 Yankees Fenway Park National television game in America; might as well be national holiday in Japan

3 Comments:

At 3/23/2007 8:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Peter...as a veteran of several such trips to the vet, I'm really, really sorry. That sucks.

 
At 3/23/2007 9:46 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thank you...I'm home, and I came home alone. It's tough....

 
At 3/23/2007 3:08 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

And MCW, thank you so much. .CL too! Today, I'm going to make it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home