Wednesday, March 14, 2007

I LIKE His Attitude!!!!

Whose attitude? None other than Brendan Donnelly's. Read some of his, shall I say, spirited quotes on closing, from the Herald. The entire article is right here when you title click............

"Less than three weeks remain until Opening Day, and that sound you hear is time running out on the Red Sox [team stats]’ search for a closer.
The hope all spring has been that someone from a group of four or five candidates would step forward. Joel Pineiro, Mike Timlin [stats] and most recently Julian Tavarez have taken turns claiming frontrunner status, though each label may have been as much about wishful thinking as reality.
The hard truth is that the Red Sox are no closer to naming a closer now than they were in January. It’s impossible to select a leader in the clubhouse because they’re barely off the first tee.
“To be quite honest with you, if we knew exactly where everybody was situated right now, I’d probably sleep a little better and go to sleep quicker,” manager Terry Francona said. “But we still have some questions to answer. The better we answer them, the better team we’re going to be.”
While none of the candidates is perfect, one stands out for his makeup: Brendan Donnelly.
“If Tito gives me the ball, I’ll (expletive) take it,” Donnelly said. “You think I don’t want that (expletive) role? If you want to give me the ball, give it to me. I’ll take it. When I’m on the mound, I’m not thinking about the (expletive) road I took to get here,” he said. “I’m thinking about the (expletives) at the plate that look like they’re (ticked) off at the ball.
“If you’re a closer, only two things can happen - you’re going to get them, or they’re going to get you. More often than not, you get them."

YES! Attitude, the kind of mindset that says to the opposing hitter, one of the final three in an oh so important ninth inning of a one run game..."Hey, FU, you're going down. Fastball, curve, splitter. YOU ARE GOING DOWN!" Of course, those were MY words, but this is the attitude that Mr. Donnelly projects. The, hey, it's MY ninth inning, step up and step back to your dugout, as**ole!"

I like it! I LOVE it!!! PLUS he has a great last name, much like a blogger friend of ours, Red Sox Chick Cyn (link on your right).
Good luck to you this year, Brendan Donnelly. And good luck to our Boston Red Sox 2007. Title click for the entire article. Recommended.

6 Comments:

At 3/14/2007 10:03 AM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

I hope his St Patrick's Day Spirit is Year-Round & contagious.

 
At 3/14/2007 10:23 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Me tooooo..I have a comment for your last comment, so I'll go back back back to the previous post........here I goooooooooo.....

 
At 3/14/2007 12:28 PM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

Gosh & Begorrah, ML! I think you've got a good idea ... plus a little shamrock (or 4-leaf clover) in the pocket wouldn't hurt either.

Peter, I like his attitude, too. Do any other of his teammate pitchers have that mentality?

 
At 3/14/2007 12:34 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

BFW...well said...do they have his attitude? I wish every 'pen person would. But we have the Darkman, the lefty from time zones in the future!
Take care.....tongue in cheekly, Peter. But I can't stress enough...our lefty, that man who leaves no shadow and who will haunt you after the sun goes down, will be an answer, with Kyle Snyder, for mid-inning to 7th or 8th inning guys. And then in the ninth, I announce, and you will ONLY hear it here.....to be continued........

 
At 3/14/2007 12:54 PM, Blogger Suldog said...

I really want to see him as the closer, at least until he proves he CAN'T do it. I think he can, though.

 
At 3/14/2007 12:59 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Sul, oh yeah! And BFW...thank you for the inspiration for my last post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home