Sunday, March 18, 2007

Paps' First Start

Yes, he's pitched this spring before, twice. He relieved Timmy Wakefield each time and pitched effectively. But yesterday was the first time that he took the mound in the first inning, setting the tone for the game and his team. From the Courant, and then a comment from me.

"Jonathan Papelbon took the next step in his transition from closer to starter for the Red Sox.
He started.
Papelbon made his first start in a major league exhibition game this year, and was happy with his performance even though he struggled with leadoff hitter Chris Denorfia, who homered on a 3-and-2 pitch in Cincinnati's 2-1 win Saturday.
In 32/3 innings, Papelbon allowed five hits and one walk, hit a batter and struck out five. In his two other outings against major league teams, he relieved Tim Wakefield and threw five scoreless innings with eight strikeouts, one hit and one walk."

The relief pitching behind him? Stellar...take a look.......

J Papelbon (L,0-1) 3 2-3 5 2 2 1 5 1
J Pineiro 1 1-3 2 0 0 1 2 0
H Okajima 1 1 0 0 0 1 0
M Delcarmen 1 0 0 0 1 0 0
D Hansack 1 1 0 0 0 1 0
R Hernandez 1 0 0 0 1 0 0

Piniero was just shakily OK, but the Darkman followed with a great inning, as did Little Manny, Hansack and Hernandez. We need these guys during the season. The final score? 2-1 Cinncinati, but don't worry....this team of ours will hit. Bigtime. That's why I focus on the pitching, specifically the bullpen pitching, so much here at PRSF.
And as Paps put it himself......

“I felt really, really good today. My body felt outstanding, my arm felt outstanding. Everything physically felt really good, and that’s a big, big plus for me,” he said. “Getting my body into that stamina I need to get. Everything building up to becoming a guy that can go 7-8 innings. Today was huge for me to feel the way I felt.”


And all I can say is this. YES!!! Have a great Sunday, and if you wish, the entire Courant article can be read by clicking on the title.

OH, and Sox 2 Orioles 1...on Sunday...full wrap tomorrow! I promise.......

13 Comments:

At 3/18/2007 12:22 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

Well some people thought that Paps had a so-so day but,if you can have a so-so day and only give up 2 runs and strikeout five that is pretty good in my book.The pen I thought had one of its better outings 5 and 2/3 of shutout ball that is pretty good:)

 
At 3/18/2007 12:49 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

And I agree, Kaylee.....have fun down there...did you go to Michelbob's? I miss that place so much. Be safe, roving reporter number one...

 
At 3/18/2007 1:12 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

yeah i went last night!

 
At 3/18/2007 2:46 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Wow!!!! What'd you have...and I am so jealous...Michelbob's reminds me of Florida, with my parents. They're not here anymore, ut I'm glad you enjoyed! Was I right??? The bestest. Take care Kaylee

 
At 3/18/2007 2:56 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

I had the ribs had to try those.IIt was good though.:)

 
At 3/18/2007 3:20 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

I' glad you had fun...yummmm! Take care, and safe trip home Kaylee.....

 
At 3/18/2007 3:47 PM, Blogger Lisa Johnson said...

Hey Peter! Thanks for stopping by. So what do you think of the Jordan's Furniture deal with the Red Sox? Do you think people are buying random furniture expecting not to pay? LOL! : )

 
At 3/18/2007 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He looked a little shaky but overall not a bad performance. I for one am looking forward to seeing that Rocket-like fastball every fifth day.

 
At 3/18/2007 6:08 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

MCW...if he was shaky, I like his style! MY kind of shaky! And Anali, oh Anali, the one person who brings the munchies to humans without being hungry, I haven't heard of it. But readers, check out her blog!

 
At 3/18/2007 6:11 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

How? Just click on MCW's name, or Anali's, and follow the profile directions. And as the Beatles said, "Now it's time to say goodnight," sung in a warbly Ringo voice! Not mine---I sing quite well.... take care, thank you ladies and gentlemen (mostly ladies!), and thanks...neverending thanks!!!!!

 
At 3/18/2007 6:12 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Did I say thanks enough? Happy and healthy week to come.....

 
At 3/18/2007 7:44 PM, Blogger Ian said...

While his numbers were good, if he's falling behind in a lot of counts, he's going to be using up a lot of pitches. I'd rather see him have some more economical starts with those numbers considering the state of the bullpen right now.

 
At 3/19/2007 8:24 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Ian, you (and I) would rather see him pitching in the ninth, to solidify a bullpen that right now has plenty of the 7th and 8th inning inning guys, all of whom are pitching better than well. Paps at the back of the 'pen, with Jon Lester maybe ready (he will be) by May 1, would be ideal. I'm pretty sure it's not going to happen unless there is a teamwide emergency! So my feelings are torn, bit by bit, inch by inch. NIAGRA FALLS! OOOPS...I went into the Three Stooges.
"Slowwwwly I turn, step by step, inch by inch"....

Hey, thanks for reading...I might post this!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home