Thursday, March 29, 2007

Schilling Is Ready For Monday...Q & A With Daisuke And The Darkman

Curt Schilling had his final spring tune-up yesterday, and he was up for it. He's ready for Monday. Read this short blurb from the Courant, and the Herald.........

"Schilling was perfect through three innings against the Twins Wednesday night, and he left in the fifth having allowed just two hits in a 5-4 victory at Hammond Stadium.
Schilling threw 56 pitches in 4 2/3 innings - his pitch count was 55 - allowing singles to Luis Castillo leading off the fourth and Rondell White with two outs in the fifth.
"I'm ready to go," said Schilling, who finished with a 1.71 spring ERA. "Fifty-five pitches was the target and going just about five innings with that many is nice. I'm ready to start pitching for real."

And this wrap from the Herald....

"The 40-year-old right-hander allowed only two hits and necessitated only 56 pitches to complete his spring with a 1.71 ERA. Schilling, who struck out one batter and walked none in a game the Red Sox won, 5-4, allowed only four earned runs and 14 hits in 21 Grapefruit League innings."

Peter here, and that was his final appearance until Monday in KC. He looked good in every way. And a 1.71 ERA! Our ace. And I hope we can score some runs Monday, for if we do, you can put one in the victory column for the good guys. It's a nice feeling to be so confident even though the club hasn't even left Florida yet. The Sox go to Philly to play two this weekend, and then it's westward ho, to KC and then warm Texas. After that? Prepare for thrills at Fenway. But I'm getting ahead of myself. One game, one win at a time. It's all for real starting Monday.

There was also a nice article about Daisuke and his Japanese teammate Hideki Okajima, or as he's better known, the Darkman. Here's a sample, but I think you'll enjoy the entire question and answer session. Just click on the title....I guarantee you'll smile. This also is from the Courant.....

Q: "Have you been able to build friendships on the team?
Okajima: They all came and talked to me, instead of me approaching them. Also, they have very big hearts and are very generous and kind. They speak a little bit of Japanese, and I speak a little English, so that helps to develop a relationship.
Q: Any advice from Curt Schilling?
Matsuzaka: Yeah, he's advised me on a couple of technical things.
Okajima: Curt Schilling is making a great effort in trying to communicate in Japanese."

The two obviously get along, as they should. And Daisuke had a very scary but funny comment about the 2003 Pedro takedown of old friend Don Zimmer. I laughed outloud. You will too. The Darkman gave up a couple runs in his relief appearance yesterday, but overall he's had a great spring. And we all know about Daisuke. The world knows of his every pitch, and that's just fine with me. We'll see him Thursday, after Schill and Josh Beckett, who also had a masterful spring. Hey Josh, stay with that curve. It makes your fastball deadly and keeps 'em guessing.
Thanks for reading, for being here. I appreciate you. And I'll be back with something a little later if I can. Comments? I'd love to read them. And title click for the entire Daisuke and Darkman Q & A article.

7 Comments:

At 3/29/2007 11:06 AM, Blogger Lynsey said...

Hi Peter! Thanks for the wonderful comments today! How are you doing??? Gearing up for another baseball season I see! :-)

 
At 3/29/2007 11:06 AM, Blogger Lynsey said...

Hi Peter! Thanks for the wonderful comments today! How are you doing??? Gearing up for another baseball season I see! :-)

 
At 3/29/2007 11:11 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Double the pleasure! I'm doing much better. I had to put my beloved kitty to sleep...I wrote about him earlier. But I hope you're well...you look so alive and radiant in that pic, even though the camera gave you "red eyes." But that smile? That smile is you, a Mom to be. On the verge of a huge step in your life. And I'm so happy for you...take care. Peter

 
At 3/29/2007 12:12 PM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

Somebody has got to get Daisuke and Darkman some new movies. Those can't possibly be good just for learning english (Jackie Chan??). If they can't watch some more recent ones, at least they could go with some classics. Maybe Darkman should watch "Darkman".

 
At 3/29/2007 12:26 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

BFW, that's one great film----comic book action. Emotion, anger, revenge...if there are any of my (!!) readers who haven't seen it, rent it on DVD......Liam Neeson, and plenty of evil guys, broken bones, disfigured flesh, and....well, I'll stop there! I loved it. And I'm a peaceful guy!
My rating, 1-5??...4 stars! Thanks BFW. I cannot wait for Monday. And the exclamation points? It makes me so happy that I can say "my readers."
Take care everyone. Red Sox Forever...'07 and more.

 
At 3/29/2007 2:42 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Hi Peter. Thanks for your comment today! I loved reading about the lunch with "Daisuke and the Darkman..." It's funny that Okajima admits to liking the movie 'Ghost.' I wonder if he'll get teased about that in the Sox clubhouse. ( :

Monday is almost here!

 
At 3/29/2007 2:48 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Kristin, I'm glad you title clicked, because I loved that article too! Thanks for reading little (not) old (not) me, and yep, Monday...so soon! I can't wait! Stay in touch...
Take care..Peter

 

Post a Comment

<< Home