Monday, March 05, 2007

Slowhand Curt

Curt Schilling had another good start yesterday, going 3 1/3 innings and allowing only 2 hits. He threw 48 pitches and was satisfied with his effort. He is also working on a new pitch to add to his arsenal--the changeup. He said this, taken from an article in the Courant. You can read the entire article when you click on the title.

"I think it's good enough (the change up) to be my No. 2 pitch on some nights. That's why I'm starting to use it. I think it can be a pitch that I strike people out with ... I can get outs with. And so it's definitely going to be an integral part of spring training and hopefully going into the season a very big part of my success this year."

Peter here, and that's good news. Curt is also on record as saying he thinks he can be the best pitcher in the league this year. And if he does, the $13 million he has asked for to enable him to pitch through the 2008 season would be a bargain. Oh John Henry, don't wait too long to give him that extra year. We know you're going to sign him...why wait too long? I'm thinking before the All Star break. As his wins pile up, and I hope they do, his price tag might blossom. And if it does, so what? It would mean he'd be having a great year, and that's good for the Red Sox and it's good for us, the fans, the "N" in RSN. You and me, and the club makes three!
Yesterday, the Sox won 6-1, with Julio Lugo having an eventful day. He was called out on the basepaths twice and again commited an error. But it's early. Performances that might help lose a game in the regular season are deemed learning experiences in spring training.
The pitching was sound, top to bottom. Let's make that a habit. And enjoy your Monday...I'll be back later. Promise....

4 Comments:

At 3/05/2007 10:53 AM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

i watched that game online and schill and the pen pitched great:)

 
At 3/05/2007 11:53 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

I know! YAY...let's hope our pitching staff makes it a habit. But Kaylee, the talent in the 'pen ain't there...not yet. I hope you're feeling better! P

 
At 3/05/2007 1:37 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Schill looked good yesterday, and Lester looked good this morning.

Lugo needs to get his act together-even in the spring, an expensive vet needs to better in the field, and on the basepaths.

 
At 3/05/2007 4:09 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

You're right, Mike!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home