Sunday, April 08, 2007

The 1967 Boston Red Sox..The Impossible Dream Brought To You By The Cardiac Kids

Who but "the cardiac kids" could have orchestrated a baseball season like that of the summer of 1967. The Red Sox, in a one division American League, when only the team at the top would go to the World Series and face that "other" team at the top, in the National League. Two teams, for all the glory. And glory was that "impossible dream." And before long, we knew an "impossible dream" was so possible. The 1967 Boston Red Sox...need I say more?
The Red Sox were picked to finish far back, but there was the 1967 version of Carl Yastrezemski to amaze us, thrill us, and nothing has ever been the same for any Red Sox baseball fan on the face of the earth since. Yaz...how 'bout the summer of Yaz? He was that overpowering. That clutch. That....well, he was all that!!! And we loved him. He became the eventual MVP and the LAST AL Triple Crown (BA, HRs and RBIs) winner. Here's a taste of the wonderful 5 star Sunday article from the Globe. In fact, I'm just reprinting it right here. In its entirety. THIS ARTICLE DESERVES IT, AND I WANT YOU TO READ IT.
So don't title click ANYTHING, not this time. Prepare to smile....you see, I was a very young kid in 1967, the year of SGT. Peppers and the Doors' first two albums, and little did I know at the time (I thought I knew next to nothing, and almost about EVERYTHING...blind youth, green eyes.....) that baseball Red Sox style was about to envelope me, hook, line and sinker. And to this day, it hasn't let go. Nor do I want it to. So sit back for 5 minutes....that's not too much to ask, and read this wonderful article written by Don Aucoin.....and you know what?....this piece lives up to my wonderful memories. 1967......oh, what a year. So we go back. Forty years back. Come with me.....
********************************************************************
"When a kid dreamed the impossible"

By Don Aucoin, Globe Staff | April 7, 2007

"In every life there is one immortal summer. For me, and for countless other Red Sox fans, it is the Impossible Dream summer of 1967.
I was 11 years old then, and crazy for baseball in the way only an 11-year-old can be. Walking my paper route up and down Ashland's hills, I buried my nose in the sports section of my customers' Globes and Record-Americans and Herald-Travelers, heedless of the traffic.
During pickup games, I was sometimes Rico Petrocelli, the Sox's eager young shortstop, but more often I was Tony Conigliaro. (Tony C. dated starlets, and I hoped one day to do the same.)
Never did I imagine myself as Carl Yastrzemski. In 1967, that would have been like pretending to be God.
As the Sox headed north from spring training that year, Vegas was laying 100-1 odds against them winning the pennant. But my friends and I were expecting big things. We were always expecting big things from the Sox: We were kids. What did we know, or care, that it had been almost 50 years since they had won a World Series?
Now Time, that wily thief, has stolen another 30 years from us all. Now we know what our parents and grandparents knew, that to be a Red Sox fan is to envy Marley's Ghost, who only has to wear the chain he forged in life, and doesn't have to lug around a chain forged by Bill Buckner and Harry Frazee and Bucky Bleeping Dent.
Today, I look back with a bit of disbelief at that turbo-charged summer of 1967.
In particular, I think of Yaz - mighty, mythic Yaz. It is next to impossible to describe the sensation of watching him stride majestically through that season. He hit one homer after another, made one astounding play after another, always at the moment of highest drama - and you knew he would come through every time. You just knew it.
In 1990, in the first May Day march in Prague after the fall of communism, two jubilant men carried a sign that read: "Don't believe in miracles. Rely on them." That was how every kid in New England felt about Carl Yastrzemski in 1967.
I think also of my father. When the pennant chase came down to two final, apocalyptic games with the Twins, Dad and I ensconced ourselves in adjoining easy chairs in our family den. We drew the shades to keep sunshine off the TV set, turned up the volume so it would feel as if we were at the ballpark, and settled in for the final chapter of a saga that had transfixed New England all summer long. My father was born in 1927, a year when the New York Yankees dynasty was at its zenith, led by Babe Ruth, who should have been winning pennants for the Red Sox but had been sold by the accursed Harry Frazee. My father had lived through the disappointment of 1946, when Johnny Pesky held the ball and Enos Slaughter scored and the Sox lost.
But he didn't mention to me that my Sox had last won a World Series in 1918. Why burden the kid with the past? However, when Yaz assumed his familiar corkscrew stance at the plate, my father told me about the time he'd taken me as a preschooler to see Yaz's legendary predecessor in left field: Ted Williams.
It is startling to realize now that in 1967, my father was younger than I am today. The unfiltered Lucky Strikes Dad smoked back then glowed red in the darkened den. The whole weekend seemed frozen in time, as if all other activities in the universe were on hold. We watched the ballgames in an unspoken communion of father and son, one of the best gifts baseball gives us.
Remembrance is the other great gift. I can still name the 1967 Red Sox lineup without consulting a scorecard, and Yastrzemski's stats - .326 batting average, 44 homers, 121 RBI - are etched in my cortex. My friend Brian, who is similarly afflicted, joined me in conjuring up memories of 1967 at Fenway the other night while we were watching the 1997 Red Sox.
Jim Lonborg, who would win 22 games and the Cy Young Award, presiding with paladin cool over the mound at Fenway. George Scott swatting 450-foot homers and scooping up everything hit his way at first. Right fielder Jose Tartabull, an unknown, exceeding the limits of his weak arm and throwing out a runner at the plate in a big game. Rico roosting under that final pop fly, then squeezing it into his glove to win the pennant while Boston went delirious with joy. Reggie Smith. Dalton Jones. Mike Andrews. Joe Foy. Jerry Adair, steadiness incarnate. Hawk Harrelson, our own flamboyant version of Joe Namath. Elston Howard, who had broken up rookie left-hander Billy Rohr's no-hitter while with the Yankees but helped the Sox in the stretch. Jovial third-base coach Eddie Popowski. Sparky Lyle. Manager Dick Williams, the crew-cut disciplinarian in the dugout, whom I didn't like because he reminded me of my shop teacher.
And Tony C., young, powerful, charismatic, surely on his way to a 600-homer career. Tony C., struck down by a fastball in August of 1967 with the sudden, jolting horror of a death in the family. To an 11-year-old, the sight of Tony C. unconscious in the dirt was the first hint that none of us lives forever.Thirty years later, I can still recite from memory, and it still chokes me up to do so, Ken Coleman's rendition of that awful moment from the record, "The Impossible Dream," released after the season. "And then one August night, the kid in right, lies sprawling in the dirt. The fastball struck him square; he's down. Is Tony badly hurt?"
Years later, I would learn that Yaz and Tony C. didn't like each other. Years later, I would notice the strange lack of joy Yaz sometimes took in the game he played so well, that it seemed to be a job to him.
But in 1967, I didn't know any of that. I only knew that my friends and I spoke of Yaz in the same awed tones our parents used when discussing FDR and Churchill. He made 1967 a Camelot for those of us too young to really remember JFK.
Was White Sox manager Eddie Stanky rash enough to disparage Yaz as "an All-Star from the neck down"? Then Yaz would get four hits against the White Sox, homer in his final at-bat, and tip his cap to Stanky as he rounded the bases.
Did Rohr need an impossible catch to preserve his no-hit bid in his major league debut against the Yankees? Then Yaz would make an impossible, somersaulting catch in the ninth inning, while Coleman frenziedly shrieked "Yastrzemski is going hard, way back, way back. And he dives - and makes a tremendous catch!" (Rohr would lose the no-hitter two batters later, but Yaz had done his part.)
Did the Sox, down 8-0 to the Angels, need a 3-run homer to ignite an amazing come-from-behind rally that would propel them to a 9-8 victory? Then Yaz would hit one. Did Yaz need to field a line drive with his bare hand on the first bounce to nail the runner at the plate? Then Yaz would do just that.
But it was in the final month of the season that Yaz soared into the realm of myth. The pennant race was intense, with the Red Sox, White Sox, Tigers, and Twins all bunched together, straining like racehorses toward the finish line. With two weeks to go, exactly one-half game separated the four teams. So what did Yaz do? He merely went 40 for 96 (.417) in the last 27 games of the season, driving in 26 runs. In his final 13 plate appearances, with everything on the line, Yaz got 10 hits. He ended up winning the Triple Crown.
Any player posing a threat to the Sox inhabited my personal demonology that year. I hated Jack Hamilton, who threw the pitch (a spitball, it was rumored) that shattered Tony C.'s cheek, and eventually his career. I hated the Twins' Harmon Killebrew, who had the effrontery to battle Yaz for the home-run crown. I hated Dean Chance, his name full of smoky menace somehow, who pitched the final regular-season game against Lonborg.
And I hated, with a deep thrill of fear, the forbidding Bob Gibson, star pitcher of the St. Louis Cardinals. He would crush the Sox - and the hopes of all of us - by winning three games in the World Series. A year or so ago, I heard Gibson interviewed on a Boston radio station, and was startled at what a nice guy he appeared to be. In 1967, he seemed as menacing as Moloch. When he took the mound, I trembled for my Sox.
I even came to hate my best friend, Paul, over the Red Sox. We'd rooted for the Sox together all summer, but when the Sox fell behind in the seventh game of the World Series, Paul began teasing me, predicting they would blow it. Then, in what I viewed as an unspeakable act of treason, he even offered to bet $ 1 on the Cardinals. When the game ended with the Sox losing, 7-2, I stormed out of Paul's house and walked home, tears scalding my face. I felt very old all of a sudden. I didn't talk to Paul for almost a year after that.
Extreme? You bet. But I was 11, and the lesson of the Impossible Dream year of 1967 was that life would always be lived at a fever pitch, that one heart-stopping drama would always follow another, that Good would always triumph over Evil.
In that sense, I guess 1967 was make-believe after all. But what a wonderfully sustaining fiction it was."
*********************************************************************
Peter here, and there comes along, once in a while, an article from one newspaper or another that captures my feelings. I know it was a longer excerpt than usual, but I was enthralled. MLK and RFK were alive and well. A different world? Yes, oh yes. And it wasn't fiction. Not 1967. Never. Out of the blue, overlooked by just about everyone, the Sox were a longshot. And don't get me wrong. Magic like 1967 doesn't come around often enough. 1967...just the sound resonates through and to my brain, and the memories are sweet. A Doors concert in Hartford when I was too young to drive. My Dad, bless his memory, took me. The show was held in one of the nicer small (3,000 people) concert halls in downtown Hartford, and my Dad, jazz lover that he was, enjoyed it. The 3 band members, without Jim, instrumentally jammed for about 10 minutes before Jim Morrison, 2 days before his eventual New Haven arrest for you-know what, shuffled slowly in from stage left, his gate unsteady but his voice so strong while cradling the mike, ready to sing. And my Dad whispered to me, and I can quote his exact words. "Peter, the band is great, but who's the goon in the leather pants?" And looking back, I now understand...Jim looked a little drunk, but my goodness, the band enveloped everyone lucky enough to be sitting in front of them. With waves of sound...organ, guitar and percussion while the Lizard King used his voice to further enthrall us. And when Jim sang, my Dad listened. And I was so happy....."Break On Through. Light My Fire. When the Music's Over. The End. Crystal Ship, Moonlight Drive." And the premiere of 1968's "The Unknown Soldier", complete with the mock "tied to the post" execution, which to this day resonates too much of our fruitless war in Iraq. And then there was more. For nearly 2 hours I was in heaven, and my Dad and I had a great time. I miss him. I always will....
Now wait, how did I get to 1967 music, good as it was, when I was talking about the 1967 Boston Red Sox Cardiac Kids American League Champions? I remember. I'll never forget. All the greatness of 1967 came flooding back...I hope you enjoyed the entire article. I sure did. And I hope our Sox will shake the cobwebs that are plastered to their bats, and the sticky residue accumulating on their cleats and gloves, and kick *ss tonight. Then a day off! And after that? I'd love to start the first homestand of the season at 3-3, not 2-4. Big Curt has to show us something on this Sunday evening. I hope he will. And the 40 year ceremony for those Cardiac Kids of 1967 will be on Tuesday, at home at Fenway. DO NOT MISS. But today, we need a "going home" victory by our ace, Curt Schilling. A 3-3 road trip? For our first early spring venture on those AL teams' roads? .500 ain't bad, so go CURT!! YOU HAVE TO!!!!
Enjoy this wonderful Easter Sunday. And thank you for stopping by and reading my sometimes nonsense-filled writing. And with an off-day Monday, our team will be ready for 36,000 plus Fenway fans Tuesday night. It will be chilly, but the love we have for our team will warm up Fenway Park, the place of our dreams, quicker than a huge kerosene heater powered by God. And that sounds great to me. A 3-3 road trip...we can live with that.
I'd love to read and respond to your comments, and you can title click for the Globe article, but it's all right here.
Happy Easter to you and your loved ones. Be safe, be healthy. And thanks for everything. Always.

28 Comments:

At 4/08/2007 10:07 AM, Blogger Collective Thoughts said...

PETER, could but smiling getting the feel of you when you were younger. I have know you 9yrs. I smile because think that ever RED SOX kid dream is to see them win...GOOD READ...you friend always me

 
At 4/08/2007 10:08 AM, Blogger Collective Thoughts said...

*couldnt

 
At 4/08/2007 10:28 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks CT. You read the whole thing/ That article touched me so much. Thanks Shay........oooops, CT.

 
At 4/08/2007 10:55 AM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

WE DEFINATELY NEED A WIN FROM CURT TONIGHT I"LL BE WATCHING!

 
At 4/08/2007 11:17 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

I know you will Kaylee...did you read that article about the year of dreams, 1967? And happy Easter, your brother's first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 4/08/2007 11:24 AM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

YES it did i am just to young to have anything to say on it:-)

 
At 4/08/2007 11:31 AM, Blogger Kevin Scalley said...

"Fond Memories" the 67' Sox. I was a sophmore in HS. That year I think really brought the fans out to this days Red Sox Nation craze. I remember trying to go to Game 7 in 67. Forget it! We couldn't buy a seat at Fenway's outside area. It was crazed! I went to a Doors concert in Boston in 68' and waited 2+ hours for the Doors to show up! Long wait but great take!

 
At 4/08/2007 12:00 PM, Blogger red sox man said...

Great read and happy easter.
-steve
monsterseat.com

 
At 4/08/2007 12:08 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks FB and Steve...I just finished polishing it off. It's funny how clear some memories can be....I thought the Doors, in '67, after hearing their first two albums, were sooooo good. And then...wow! They were playing in Hartford. And my Dad was the best......and to this day I KNOW he enjoyed the jazz rythyms by Ray and John and Robby....and then, Morrison came strolling out, unsteady but definitly JIM MORRISON! Holy sh*t!!. I was a kid, but the memory of that night will, for me, last forever. As you do....
Enjoy the Masters...that's my Hi-Def plan for this afternoon. And thanks.........happy special holiday! Peter

 
At 4/08/2007 3:02 PM, Blogger Ian said...

How do the Red Sox bats have cobwebs when they got 11 hits last night?

 
At 4/08/2007 3:09 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Ian, it's my way of sayng timely hitting WITH timely pitching. One plus one did not equal two yesterday. Wow, you're the LAST person that I thought would have a negative comment. Do I have to rethink? P

 
At 4/08/2007 3:09 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

I HOPE NOT. Period.

 
At 4/08/2007 3:17 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

I thought we got along.."cobwebs" means not scoring enough. So ake care. I expected you to be a positie person. If I am taking this the wrong way, let me know. You reeked of frowniness.
Watching the Masters....wonderful CBS HD.

 
At 4/08/2007 3:20 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

And my spelling was not right....when I am sad about who I thought was a friend, it HAPPENS. Maybe I'm wrong, I hope.......it's been a tough 2 weeks. The toughest ever for me. No need to respond.

 
At 4/08/2007 3:35 PM, Blogger Ian said...

It wasn't meant to be negative at all. i had forgot to add something similar to what u were saying. they need to shake the cobwebs off their bats with runners on base since they left 10 in scoring position last night.

 
At 4/08/2007 3:53 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

OK Ian...I knew we were on the same page. Mr. Schill had better TCB tonight...a 3-3 road trip is OK, barely. A 2-4...nope! Thanks Ian.

 
At 4/08/2007 4:29 PM, Blogger Faithy said...

hello. just butting in to brag that the O's just took the yankees for 2 out of three. whoo hoo.

Faithy

 
At 4/08/2007 4:59 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

And Faithy.....I'm ALMOST as happy as you are!!!!
Happy Easter evening! Peter

 
At 4/08/2007 6:03 PM, Blogger Faithy said...

Well we are only 2 and 4, so it isn't a great start. The twins just got us. But it was a good comback, and we are finally coming home.

Thanks for ALMOST being happy. hope ou had a lovely Easter.

 
At 4/08/2007 6:13 PM, Blogger Middle Relief said...

big boos for the entire series for Kevin Millar at the stadium.

When people talk of rivalries, I think it shows just how deep it goes between the Bronx and Boston, when former players get the venom years after the fact.

Disappointing start to the season by both teams so far.

 
At 4/08/2007 11:45 PM, Blogger Coral said...

How Beautiful did Papelbon look tonight? His pitches not is face haha.

 
At 4/09/2007 7:27 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Coral, he was as close as it gets to unhittable. In fact, HE WAS UNHITTABLE. And he's our closer. It can't get better, as long as we can get to him with the lead. The bullpen? The jury is out, deadlocked and troubled.
Middle relief, the Yanks are going through a spate of injuries. Not their fault.......once around your rotation proves there's work to be done. Hey, thanks for reading. We'll see the pinstripes soon, at the Fens! I'm sad that Hideki won't be playing.
Thanks for your comments everyone. I loved writing this article. And don't forget...tomorrow...honors for that team. It was 40 years ago......my goodness.

 
At 4/09/2007 12:37 PM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

& Curt was Marvelous:

It was Piniero, who I wanted to string from The Monster;

& Pap saved the Night

 
At 4/09/2007 1:34 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Michael, I so know....Pinireo, take a day (week, month, more) off. I have another 20 minutes left from last night's Sopranos, but I wanted to say hello, great comment. Gee, I must be doing something right. Or??

 
At 4/09/2007 1:39 PM, Blogger David Sullivan said...

I'll be there on Tues. to see those guys in person.
Go Sox!!!

 
At 4/09/2007 2:22 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

David, have fun. It will be special!

 
At 4/09/2007 2:40 PM, Blogger Jen said...

I enjoyed the article so much Peter....I read the whole thing !

Jen and HB.

 
At 4/09/2007 5:08 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thank you Jen....and HB...the preceding article WILL be translated to canine within 30 short days.......Jen, I'm glad you enjoyed, and for those who are wondering what or who I'm talking about, HB is a very beloved canine 4 legged wonder. Unlike her Mom...Jen! She's two-legged. and a wonder too!! I think. I know..I was just kidding, Jen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home