Tuesday, April 10, 2007

A Comment From Sul Turns Into A Post On This Opening Day 2007

Yes, Sul, from Suldog-O-Rama, and his link is there on your right, under links, left me a wonderful comment about those "Cardiac Kids" from 1967. Here it is, with my reply....from just a couple minutes ago...as we wait for Fenway Park to turn magic........and some of that magic is linked right here. Click on the title...right above you. And imagine. 1967, and now, 2007.

From Sul...
"That '67 team was such a joy. And they're the only team that NOBODY has any bad feelings about, even though they lost the Series. What a fantastic fun summer that was!"

And my reply........

"Sul, we ALL know why, why, why did we lose that 7 game World Series against the so good St. Louis Cardinals. And it makes it easier to be able to sum up the answer to that question with two words. No debates, no ifs, ands or buts. NO NOTHING! Easy answer.....
He deserves these capital letters coming up................
The nastiest, the best (by far!) pitcher of 1967, 1968....one of the all-time greatest....BOB GIBSON. He beat us 3 times in that 7 game series, a series that broke my "too young to know" heart....Lonnie, pitching on short rest (2 days!) for game 7, couldn't do it.
But, oh, that final day, the one that determined the AL Champ (and there was only one team from each league to go to the Series), was a family celebration. And I remember it so well. Like it was yesterday. My Dad young, my mom fussing and spreading the love she always had for her family....wow....
Thanks, Sul. I remember it, young as I was, with my very little brother and my Dad and Mom, as a day of smiles. Of little firecrackers, the cardboard noisemakers set off by michievous Peter and his brother, in joy, happiness, sheer youthful Red Sox love. And then Rico caught that final out. The catch, a routine one near 3rd base, the one that propelled the lowly (or so they said) Red Sox to the World Series! 1967. It happened!!!!!! It did. And I smile. To this day. I was young, but I remember.
Sul, thanks. Everyone, enjoy this early April day at our Fenway. A magic day. I'm sure. We're all a part....and then, 2007 continues. With love. All of the RSN love.........

7 Comments:

At 4/10/2007 10:00 AM, Blogger VTek said...

It's nice that you remember that day so well...

 
At 4/10/2007 10:13 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

And I can't wait for this afternoon, the ceremony, AND the game! Go Josh. And thanks Carol!!!

 
At 4/10/2007 10:24 AM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

This Afternoon:

Dai-K;

Memories;

@ least the only Coke is the Liquid Kind;

DO & RemDawg, with Wally & more memories.

 
At 4/10/2007 10:47 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks Michael.....

 
At 4/10/2007 12:34 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Great post Peter. I wasn't alive yet in '67, but it was interesting to read about your memories of that season and what the series meant to you and Red Sox Nation at that time... ( :

 
At 4/10/2007 1:12 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Kristin, thank you. I was barely alive too! But I was....and don't forget, if you can, NESN pre-game at 1pm, because before first pitch time, we will see the 1967 cermony! Thanks for being here! P..
Don't ever leave!

 
At 4/10/2007 1:13 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

You too Michael, and Yaz, and Dick, and all of the Dream guys who we will see so soon....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home