Thursday, April 12, 2007

Felix Hernandez One-Hits Boston

A no-hitter through seven. Only two balls hit into the outfield. A complete game. A shutout. The frenzied fans at Fenway Park last night were expecting those kind of fireworks from Daisuke Matsuzaka and the Boston Red Sox. Instead, the pitching star was the Mariners' own Felix Hernandez. He was masterful and in complete control for his nine innings of work. JD Drew broke up the no hitter in the eighth inning with a roller past the second baseman, but the Sox were still humbled by the array of Hernandez pitches. He is the real deal and the ace, as he should be, of the Mariner staff. So don't feel bad for Daisuke. He had a quality seven inning start. But the better mound guy won. It's going to happen again this year. Daisuke looked fine. Hernandez would have blown the doors off of ANY team he faced yesterday. And I still feel the wind on my face from his excellence. The Boston Red Sox? We'll be fine, just fine.
The Hartford Courant's Jeff Jacobs' great column about the game is linked to the title. Just click on it. He is my favorite sportswriter, and some people have said my style reminds them of him. And I say, "Yeah, right!" Check it out. He's good. Really good. And I'll link his column whenever he writes about our Red Sox during this now young season of 2007. Time flies, so let's have fun and beat those Mariners tonight. Their pitcher was unbeatable last night. Unreachable. Untouchable. Un-EVERYTHING! Two nights in a row? Not on my watch!

4 Comments:

At 4/12/2007 9:02 AM, Blogger David Sullivan said...

I had Matsusaka penciled in as "Rookie of the Year", but maybe Hernandez....

 
At 4/12/2007 9:14 AM, Blogger VTek said...

And Felix just turned 21. I think it's safe to say that he has a nice career ahead of him!

 
At 4/12/2007 9:18 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

David...he is AMAZING. And not just last night...his first start...wow! He's only 21. I wish him luck while I hope we don't see him again until the playoffs (?).
Carol, I so agree......he was also on a world stage last night....cool, calm and collected! Thanks to both of you. Maybe we'll get the game in tonight....maybe not!

 
At 4/13/2007 7:08 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks Walter. As always, you're too kind.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home