Sunday, April 22, 2007

Gordon Edes On Hideki Okajima. And Me!!!!

I'm flabbergasted on this Sunday morning. On the floor, chest-clutching flabbergasted. Yesterday I received an email from Gordon Edes, asking me to check out the Sox notebook from today, Sunday. I linked it to the title. And that guy Peter he mentions? That's me!

So click on that title as I'm happily dumbfounded!!!!!! I still CANNOT BELIEVE IT!!!!! Thank you Gordon Edes. THE DARKMAN LIVES. Where? In our bullpen, ready to go when we need him most! Here's a little from the Sunday Red Sox notebook. Mr. Edes from the Boston Globe, thank you........

Reliever's been lighting it up...

Okajima emerging from large shadow...

By Gordon Edes, Globe Staff | April 22, 2007

"Daisuke Matsuzaka is the Monster. Hideki Matsui is Godzilla. And what about Hideki Okajima?
A reader (and baseball blogger) named Peter Naboicheck of Farmington, Conn., has taken to calling Okajima "Darkman," a comic-book creation played in the 1990 movie version by actor Liam Neeson. Naboicheck is riffing off Okajima's spring training utterance in which he said of pitching in Matsuzaka's shadow, "I am willing to be a hero in the dark."
The nickname may not stick, but Naboicheck may be onto something. Okajima has to rank as the revelation of the team's first month. Coming into the season, the 31-year-old lefthanded reliever's greatest value to the Sox, according to the wise guys, was to keep Matsuzaka company. He did little to disavow that notion when he gave up a home run on the first pitch he threw for the Sox, to John Buck of the Royals on Opening Day, but since then he has become an unexpected star of the bullpen.
Okajima entered yesterday's game with seven scoreless innings over his last seven appearances. He recorded his first major league save Friday night, when he challenged Alex Rodriguez with fastballs in the ninth inning and retired him with a full-count cutter that resulted in a soft liner to second.
Yesterday afternoon, with the tying runs on base in the seventh, Okajima struck out strongman Jason Giambi to end the inning, then got Robinson Cano to ground to second to begin the eighth, before being replaced by Mike Timlin."

WOW, that IS me. All I can say is I'm totally overwhelmed with happiness. Thank you Gordon, and thanks to the club closest to MY heart, and yours. The Boston Red Sox. CLICK ON THE TITLE for the entire article, one I will NEVER forget. And that's a promise! Happy healthy Sunday to every one of you. And who knows? Maybe even Hideki himself will be able to read a translated version! THE DARKMAN!

34 Comments:

At 4/22/2007 10:05 AM, Blogger Julie said...

OMG PETER!!!!!! i was just reading this morning's globe a few minutes ago and i freaked out when i read that! i almost spit my hot chocolate all over the table! i knew right away that it was you and i just like sprinted up here to my computer to go see if you had seen it yet! congradulations, that is SO COOL!!

 
At 4/22/2007 10:07 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

I still can't believe it, but you know I had to email you! Have a great Sunday!

 
At 4/22/2007 11:15 AM, Blogger Kevin Scalley said...

Wow! You never know who's reading the blogs! I lost power for a few hours this early AM and just got it back! Can I have your autograph??

 
At 4/22/2007 11:20 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Shut up and drive your Audi! Just kidding...I read your last post about my car. Wow, after the sadness with my little guy, the cat, this weekend has been heartwarmingly nice. I needed it, too. So much. Thanks....

 
At 4/22/2007 11:35 AM, Blogger Tim Daloisio said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 4/22/2007 11:36 AM, Blogger Tim Daloisio said...

Congrats Peter! I wrote a similar piece about Oki at the Red Sox Times last night. I'll be sure to add a link to this article and you in the comments after reading this.

http://www.redsoxtimes.com/?p=719

 
At 4/22/2007 11:40 AM, Blogger Ian said...

Congrats Peter. You never know who is reading your stuff. And now we will continue the usage of Darkman so that we can get it to stick.

 
At 4/22/2007 11:46 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 4/22/2007 11:48 AM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

WOW that is so cool.Okay I am going to hide now.

 
At 4/22/2007 11:48 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks K!

 
At 4/22/2007 11:50 AM, Blogger Kristin said...

Congratulations Peter! That's so awesome! Long live Darkman!

 
At 4/22/2007 12:33 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

youre welcome.

 
At 4/22/2007 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome, Peter! Don't forget the little people!

 
At 4/22/2007 4:21 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks Tim and Ian. And Kaylee (hiding??) and MCW. And KRISTIN. You're all so great!!

 
At 4/22/2007 4:53 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

YES!I got no idea why I said that I felt like doing it at the momment I guess:-)

 
At 4/22/2007 4:53 PM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

Naboichek?

Czech? Russian? Polish?

He who named "Darkman"?

How much is your autograph?

 
At 4/22/2007 7:25 PM, Blogger Faithy said...

Congrats peterN. Way to Go.

be watching out for us. we are coming at cha wednesday. Hope you guys kick some yankee butt before you come, it'll make a better game for us.

 
At 4/22/2007 8:01 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

I hope we do too FAiTH!

 
At 4/22/2007 9:37 PM, Blogger Collective Thoughts said...

PETER YOU ARE IN LIGHTS THATS SOOOOOOOOOOOO AWWSOME!!

 
At 4/22/2007 9:41 PM, Blogger Collective Thoughts said...

KNOW PETER IN PERSON....GUESS THAT MAKE ME LUCKY. WOOHOOO

 
At 4/23/2007 7:30 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Ian, we'll hope it sticks.....thanks! ML, I will pay YOU to take my autograph, with a c in it, by the way. And I so hope the nic sticks! Faithy, the O's are hot hot hot!!!! Be happy....I love seeing then in 2nd place. And thanks CT...thanks everyone.....it's Monday now, back to reality, a reality changed just a little, like something out of the Twilight Zone. They seem normal, but something's different. I love you all! Bloggers and friends----the two words go hand in hand. Now let's go for number 6 in a row! Timmah pitching.

 
At 4/23/2007 12:15 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

And for Kristin...a special message........coming up soon........on this Red Sox station!

 
At 4/23/2007 1:26 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

The special message? Thanks Kristin, and everyone. I'm so happy!!! Not that special, but it's from me!

 
At 4/23/2007 1:31 PM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

Congrats Peter ... but you were already famous with us.

 
At 4/23/2007 1:59 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks! I still wonder...but I try! Go TIMMY...tonight!!

 
At 4/23/2007 3:17 PM, Blogger David Sullivan said...

That was you? I read the article and didn't put two and two together!!!

Nice.

 
At 4/23/2007 5:12 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

David S....thank you..I read the article and put 2 and 2 together and got 16.....but it's still me! Thank you! Let's beat the Jays tonight!

 
At 4/23/2007 6:02 PM, Blogger laura said...

A little late on this one, but just wanted to say how awesome that is! Congrats!!

 
At 4/24/2007 9:32 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thank you everyone....it's Tuesday morning, and we need a rebound after a listless Monday eve performance. Then 2 with the O's, and then 3 weekenders with the powerful Yankees. Hitting- wise, I think they'll score more runs in '07 than any team in baseball.....their pitching will be their ultimate undoing.
Thanks to every one of my readers...first one that emailed me was JULIE!~she left a great comment....

 
At 4/24/2007 10:24 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Oh, and Laura, again my thanks!

 
At 4/24/2007 5:08 PM, Blogger VTek said...

Told ya (on my blog) that you should write for the Globe. I must have ESP lol.

 
At 4/24/2007 10:10 PM, Blogger Katiee said...

OMG PETER!!!!!!!!!!! Good for you!
I'm glad you got mentioned you deserved it you're a great writer

 
At 4/25/2007 12:05 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Carol and Katiee, thank you so much. And me write for the Glob?...I wish, and I also wish Gordon had mentioned my blog's name in his article. But hey, I was so flattered AND floored, it doesn't matter.....I was happy. And that has been a rare feeling for me the last 4 weeks. (my kittie) And you guys...you make all this worthwhile. And for that, thank you...love ya both!!!

 
At 4/25/2007 9:47 PM, Blogger Katiee said...

awe i'm glad you got to be happy after all that's happened

 

Post a Comment

<< Home