Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Schill Shocked

4 innings....5 runs....89 pitches. Ugly numbers for Curt Schilling, who had such a great spring. To say this was an unexpected outing is putting it mildly, as opening day for the Red Sox fell flat on its face. Staked to a one run lead in the first, Schill promptly gave up the lead after the first two innings. The Red Sox would trail for the rest of the game as the afternoon became painfully long. After a scoreless 5th courtesy of Javy Lopez, the Darkman, Hideki Okajima, gave up a first pitch ever in the big leagues home run to John Buck. Joel Piniero was equally horrid. We have to be thankful he is not our closer. And the Red Sox were sunk before their uniforms had a speck of dirt on them.
Thankfully today is an off day, a day to regroup and prepare to start all over again. Wake up and go to sleep is a phrase that comes to mind. (P.S. That's a Three Stooges Line. GET BUSY, as Moe would say!!) But I'm sure the LAST thing the players want to do is sit around mulling over this loss in their minds. Better to just go out as soon as possible and get a win under their belts. But that's impossible. A day off in Kansas City. How grand! I've never been so dejected on opening day. Not in recent memory, at least.
Josh Beckett tries to right the ship before it takes on more water. Or hits something. Something big. Something white. An iceberg immediately comes to mind. And I don't know why. Maybe because it's April, the same month as the Titanic's tragic demise. Getting rid of this bad taste in my mouth is going to be tough. But we go on. We have to. And we will. With a vengance. And we will ROAR!!!

21 Comments:

At 4/03/2007 9:23 AM, Blogger VTek said...

I wasn't prepared to be "dejected on opening day" either Peter! And you're right that the loss will be just hanging in the air for the players (and us) today as well.

 
At 4/03/2007 10:02 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks Carol...we are both in the "unhappy and disgusted" club. For now. Thanks for always being here....Peter

 
At 4/03/2007 11:01 AM, Blogger Ian said...

I can't say I'm disgusted but I was unhappy that the Red Sox lost. I had thought since Schilling had been good towards the end of spring training, it might carry over.

I guess that's why they call it spring training.

 
At 4/03/2007 11:11 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Hey Ian..Schill was good from the START of spring training until the end. And then....then there was Yesterday. (all my troubles seemed so far away...oops...McCartney and the Beatles). But....bad dream? I hope, I wish, but I was awake at the time.

 
At 4/03/2007 11:54 AM, Blogger San Francisco Red Sox Fan said...

Hi Peter,

Don't worry - the Sox also lost opening day in '03 and '04. As I remember the Sox ended up doing pretty well at the end of those two seasons. Keep your chin up and GO SOX!

 
At 4/03/2007 12:00 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Hi SFRSF...and I know that it will get better. I hope. Thanks for your comments......P

 
At 4/03/2007 12:04 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

I can't say "take care" any more....Jere...just joshing! And he'll be pitching tomorrow. We might score more than (dare I say, or hope?) one run. Tomorrow Never Knows....John Lennon...1966 LP... Revolver...last song...side two. Great album. Maybe one of the best ever.

 
At 4/03/2007 12:05 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Talk about off-topic...that's me!

 
At 4/03/2007 12:05 PM, Blogger Suldog said...

Very bad stuff. I only caught the last four innings by the time I got home from work. Ugh.

 
At 4/03/2007 12:06 PM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

The Game was as flat as a warm, opened 'Gansett Beer:

There's always tomorrow night;

Ciao!
Later!
Mike

 
At 4/03/2007 12:36 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Hi Sul...and Michael, the flat seltzer more portrays my thoughts. Thanks guys!

 
At 4/03/2007 1:43 PM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

Sure, Schilling took a shelling, but think how much worse we would feel if Tito had rushed to sign him for 2008 last month. Some time to think about what they did & the boys can make things right tomorrow night.

"Tomorrow Never Knows" was one of Ringo's malapropisms and John's first psychedelic song. "For No One" is a really nice piece from Revolver, too, that Paul still does in concerts.

 
At 4/03/2007 4:27 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

BFW, thanks and I know.....TNN was one of the first phychedelic songs EVER!

 
At 4/03/2007 9:23 PM, Blogger s1c said...

I liked Brownies Shillacked assesment for this game.

Just finished looking at the numbers for the Sox against Perez. Game 2. If you look you might see that Lugo is a combined 0 - 12 against Meche and Perez and other wonderful stats.

I still have hope though for Beckett to turn in a gem.

And Peter added you to the freaking links section.

 
At 4/03/2007 10:01 PM, Blogger laura said...

Well you all have gotten my mind off the bad start and now I want to relax with some seltzer and a Beatles album! Nice work :)

 
At 4/03/2007 10:46 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

I hope Beckett gets a win tomorrow:)

 
At 4/03/2007 11:03 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I just want to add to the we made the playoff thought for a moment, if I may? I was just reading a bunch of stories about yesterday and noticed that Schilling was pulled in a Diamondbacks game for having a bad 2 1/3 inning and I believe that was in 2001. Wasn't that also the year they beat the Yankees for the World Series? Hmmmm.

 
At 4/03/2007 11:23 PM, Blogger Katiee said...

yea that wasn't fun but atleast Darkman looked good after the homerun he settled right down

 
At 4/04/2007 10:15 AM, Blogger Collective Thoughts said...

I am going to look on the bright side instead of the negitive side....the REDSOX always start off good then they end up doing poorly so maybe it a good thing they lost...cause then in the end they willl end up doing good

 
At 4/04/2007 11:25 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Christopher, food for thought! Katiee, the Darkman did do well after his rude welcome to major league baseball game number one. Laura, I'll join you with the Beatles and the seltzer! Thanks collective. you are special! And s1c, I added your link, right here, and thank you for adding mine. Readers, check his blog out. It's great! It's on my link list, right at the bottom. The best for last? Close! You'll love it!!!!

 
At 4/04/2007 11:27 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

And it's called PEACE, LOVE, and Lots of Red Sox........thanks everyone for your wonderful comments. And to Jere, take care!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home