Sunday, April 08, 2007

Sox Lose UGLY

Julian Tavarez is not the answer to our 5th starter void. Not the way he looked yesterday. I will go out on a limb and say that if things don't improve by month's end, Jon Lester will rejoin the big club. He has 3 more rehabilitation starts, and then we can expect some type of move. And that's just fine with me.
Yesterday Tavarez got himself into trouble. Read this, from the Courant....

"After starting with two smooth innings, Tavarez went away from his effective two-seam fastball in the third, and the Rangers made him pay by knocking his breaking pitches all over the park.
"You know, that's the trick in this game," he said. "A lot of times you do things and once you find out, sometimes it's too late and you're in trouble. I forgot about my two-seam fastball. When I was dominating, it was with two-seam fastballs, getting some quick outs early in the game. I changed the whole plan and it really cost me. I walked away a loser."
The key blow came from Michael Young, who brought home Jerry Hairston with a double to right, then scored himself when J.D. Drew let the ball get under his glove. It rolled into the corner, then Drew missed two cutoff men with his throw. Young came all the way around to score under Jason Varitek's tag and tied it at 2.
Tavarez continued to struggle, throwing 36 pitches in the inning and allowing two more runs. Both scored when Manny Ramirez pulled up on Nelson Cruz's low liner to left field."

Peter here. Even our "lights-out so far" bullpen was porous, with JC Romero giving up hits to all 5 men he faced, the lead ballooning to 7-3. That was all she wrote. And that's all I'm going to write about this ugly mess of a baseball game. Tonight, it's Curt Schilling to face Padilla, who only went 4 plus innings in his first start. Maybe some timely hitting and a good performance by Curt will allow the Red Sox to end this 6 game road trip and go home with a record of 3-3. That is a ton better than 2-4. Curt has something to prove. We'll all know by tomorrow morning if he was successful. Or not.
Oh, I linked the Globe's Sunday morning article, the best wrap-up of this game I've read so far. Just title click to read it. The results are the same but the writing is great.

12 Comments:

At 4/08/2007 8:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

People can say what they want about Globe writers, they all know how to turn a phrase.

 
At 4/08/2007 9:50 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

I know, MCW. And I hope you're well..I think I remember you saying yesterday that you don't celebrate Easter...me either...it's Passover time for me too! And I just posted an article built around the tremendous Globe piece about our 1967's "Cardiac Kids." I hope you can read it....it was so good (the Globe piece) that I just posted it in its entirety. Memories of a little kid (me) mesmerized by his first ever look at that magic place we call Fenway. There is no other. And thanks...you're always there when I need to read a great comment. So thanks for the smiles. Check out my post, if you can...the quoted article is from the Globe, but it stuck a chord, something, and that something resonated throughout my whole being. Let me know, if you can, what you think. 1967 memories, as clear and sharp (almost) as ever. Although the '75 series (I was at games 1 and 2!) is a little fresher.....Thanks MCW...

 
At 4/08/2007 10:09 AM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

I wouldnt say you are gong out on a limb by saying that but,what the heck do i know?:-)

 
At 4/08/2007 10:26 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Kaylee, you know a lot!!!!!! Jon needs some time to further improve in the minors, for two or three weeks 4 more starts. And then, who knows about Julian? After his first two "in control" innings, wha' happened? Holy ****!! He should have stuck with the cut fastball.
Kaylee, always always great to hear from you. You know your baseball stuff, so don't be down. I don't know what I'd do without your comments! OK???? Peter...never leave and never stop leaving your viewpoint!!!!!!!!

 
At 4/08/2007 10:55 AM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

OH i would never stop commenting here i love to read you:-)

 
At 4/08/2007 11:19 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks! I'd never be the same if you left. Say hi to Julie for me.....
And MCW, the '67 Sox article in the next post brought back so much! Take care, matzoh or bread.

 
At 4/08/2007 11:21 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Matzoh with warmed peanut butter? Not bad!!!!!!! I can't do the jelly thing because of the sugar, but yumm nevertheless.

 
At 4/08/2007 11:27 AM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

MMMMMMM YUMMMY.THAT SOUNDS BETTER THAN MY BACON:-)
I cant do jelly either but,Id go for the PEANUT BUTTER I love that stuff

 
At 4/08/2007 12:01 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

You're so funny...i just finised polishing off my 1967 Sox post...maybe check it out, number one??? Thanks

 
At 4/08/2007 2:24 PM, Blogger Katiee said...

thats game was icky

 
At 4/08/2007 2:49 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Katiee, I agree....the perfect adjective....G-rated, too! Happy Easter...

 
At 4/09/2007 12:40 PM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

Tavarez:

NO!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home