Sunday, April 29, 2007

Wakes Wild...Yanks Beat Sox

Yankees' starter Jeff Karstens was hit by a line drive off the bat of Julio Lugo. It broke his leg. In comes Igawa, and he pitched 7 brilliant innings. Tim Wakefield? That's a different story. He only lasted 5 1/3 innings, and his control was an issue all day. He only allowed 3 runs, but men were on base so often because of the 6 (yes, six!) walks he issued. The knuckler was fluttering out of the strike zone all afternoon long. Maybe it was because of all the hot air from the NY fans. Who knows? The good news? The Sox bullpen again was unscored on. I'm getting used to this!
The Red Sox offense? They took a day off. Ya can't win 'em all, I guess. It would have been nice, because Tavarez is going today. I have no faith in his ability to give his team 5 quality innings. He hasn't done it yet, and he only has one more start after this one before Jon Lester claims his rightful place in the rotation. That day can't come soon enough for me.
So we're still in first. We still have the best record in baseball. The sky hasn't fallen. Pigs aren't flying. No fat lady has sung. Today's game might be tough, but a half dozen runs should help. They'd help a lot.
Click on the title of this post for a NY Times article about the tenuous position Joe Torre finds himself in. I say none of this is his fault, but we all know Georgie Porgie.
Have a great Sunday everyone. Thank you for reading.

11 Comments:

At 4/29/2007 7:23 AM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

In the case of Tarvarez:

Pray For Rain.

 
At 4/29/2007 7:56 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Michael, we could pray, but it won't do any good. I know exactly how you feel, but the 33% of me that is a weather guy knows it will be a fine afternoon for baseball. Weatherwise. I want to stress weatherwise. Pitching-wise? That remains to be seen.
Thanks Michael, and I hope your weekend has been good....so far! Who knows? A surprise quality 5 inning start for Tavarez? All I'll say is the game starts at 1:05pm.

 
At 4/29/2007 7:58 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

If Julien goes 5 good ones, and our bullpen can take over in a close game (wishful thinking?), then a win IS possible. I have faith in our starters 1-4......1-5 when jon Lester is back in a week and a half. JD and Manny...maybe their bats will become unglued. So far so good. Manny, could ya get hott??????

 
At 4/29/2007 8:20 AM, Blogger Kevin Scalley said...

Lester will come. Who will go? Yanks should fire Cashman not Torre. His effort to go cheaper shows at catcher. A first baseman that can't hit and one that can't field. How may hamstring problems?New conditioning coach?? Igawa looked bad until yesterday. Lots of questions.

 
At 4/29/2007 8:40 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Hi FB, and good morning. Who will go? From the rotation, JT! But you knew that. From the active roster? I don't want to guess.......but it will be so much nicer having Jon Lester rounding out the rotation.
But you never know about Tavarez, he's like Manny (batting sub-.200)...he knows he's pitching for his spot in the rotation this afternoon. Maybe he'll suck it up and be great....maybe not. You know me...I'm always optimistic. But this strains my optimistic viewpoint. Temporarily.
Have a great Sunday, and I hope your son is doing well. He's in my prayers.
Thanks for always being here. And go Sox. Monday is a day off...there is no one unavailable in the 'pen. So lets wing some runs from Wang and hope Tavarez can keep us in this one for 5.

 
At 4/29/2007 11:28 AM, Blogger MattySox said...

The sky might not have fallen, but one of the support beams holding it up has a crack in it...

 
At 4/29/2007 1:16 PM, Blogger Katiee said...

I was gonna make a c omment about the offwense taking yesterday off and then David Ortiz smashed the ball into the upper deck so I guess I'll just keep my mouth shut

 
At 4/29/2007 2:22 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Katiee..he did? I'm turning it on now. Matty, a crack can be sealed..........I'm looking up, and things look OK to me. For now...I hope...I'll be looking up for the rest of the day! If anything changes, I'll let you know!
GO SOX.

 
At 4/29/2007 3:24 PM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

Tarvarez went 5 1/3 Innings with a lead:

Darkman did nicely in the 6th;

Nothing Across;

End of 6 is Red Sox 4 & Yankees 3, as I'm listening to WRKO Radio Feed on Game Day Audio;

I will NOT listen to "Ma & Pa Pinstripes" on WCBS Newsradio 880 NY;

& Alex Cora just tripled.

 
At 4/29/2007 3:35 PM, Blogger Steve said...

I'm hoping the Sox will hold on and knock the Yanks to 6.5 back!

 
At 4/29/2007 4:38 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

And Steve, THEY DID JUST THAT!!!! A lucky shot by the ball stealer, or this would have been a massacre. DARKMAN!!!! Hey ML.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home