Sunday, May 06, 2007

FAITHFUL. WE ARE! AN HBO Special. In The Works!

This from the Globe, and my comments after. There is no need for me to link anything except for the Amazon link to the book you should read, if you haven't already.....here you go......
************************************************************************
Red Sox brass make pitch for star treatment in HBO's 'Faithful'
By Carol Beggy & Mark Shanahan | May 4, 2007

"Faithful," the book about the '04 BoSox written by diehards Stephen King and Stewart O'Nan, is coming to HBO. The cable network is creating a six-part miniseries based on the improbable dream season, which culminated in the franchise's first World Series win in 86 years.

Sox co-owner Tom Werner, who's pals with the miniseries' executive producer Bill Haber, said yesterday that screenwriter Bill Diamond will be in Boston soon to begin work on the project. ( Diamond's credits include "Wings" and "Murphy Brown," and he's a Boston-area native.)
"He'll be meeting with various members of the team to get the real scoop," Werner said.
While the book is based on King and O'Nan's obsessive e-mails and journal entries, the six hourlong segments will include story lines from the perspective of fans, players, and the front office. With any luck, Werner said, the miniseries could air in '08. And if you're already casting the characters in this small screen send-up, you're not alone. Werner kidded that he could be played by George Clooney; John Henry by James Woods; Theo Epstein by Adrian Grenier; and Larry Lucchino by Clive Owen.
"At least that's who Larry Lucchino thinks should play Larry Lucchino," Werner said, laughing.
And the ballplayers? Werner said one person suggested the role of Manny Ramirez go to Whoopi Goldberg. (Might we suggest Manny be Manny?) (Peter here...YES!) Asked if the movie could cause the current team to lose focus on the field, Werner said no.
"Part of our responsibility is to keep the Red Sox brand as strong as possible," he said, "and the triumph of '04 is quite a remarkable story."
*************************************************************************
Peter here, and yes, I own the book. 6 one hour installments? My goodness, we of RSN will be in heaven. Trust me! The book is a wonderful bundle of words with the remarkable cover photograph of AROD getting what he deserved from our Captain, Jason Varitek. It's available in softcover now (click on the title)........and Stewart O'Nan lives in my town, a scant 5 miles away. Stephen King? I can't begin to tell you how much he has meant to me. I've read everything he's ever written, since those long-ago days in the early 70s. Carrie, and then the suddenly so shocking and so good Salem's Lot, the Stand, and the Shining. And the first long-ago installment of THE GUNSLINGER? That's a whole different story, but I was there. Happy, full of wonder while confounded and delighted. So happy that someone could put into words what my mind can picture. You see, that is his gift. To ALL of us.
This book is a time capsule of that magic year of 2004. And a love story about the team we love to love. I hope you can check it out. I'll leave you the Amazon link....just click on the title. And wow...HBO, this should be AMAZING! And thanks to the Boston Globe, for bringing it to my attention. Good news, for all of us. And thank you Stewart and Stephen...your book brought tears of joy to this reader! I mean that, as tears blur my typing fingers right now. And I know Red Sox fans the world over will be overjoyed.. Please, my readers, click on the title, read this book.....and let's win today!

4 Comments:

At 5/06/2007 5:41 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

That sounds cool. I might have to get HBO now!

 
At 5/07/2007 12:20 AM, Blogger VTek said...

I love Wings, Stephen King, and the Red Sox! That HBO series is going to be like a big present for RSN!

 
At 5/07/2007 7:11 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Or I'll tape it for you...boy, that's a lot of tape! But I agree with you Kristen and Carol...and this is something that will be out on DVD 3 months after its air dates. And I will be a buyer.
As soon as I hear ANYTHING more on this, you'll read it right here...this is almost too good to be true. You'll love the book. It consists of back and forth emails between Stuart and Stephen and "at the game" thoughts. I was mesmerized. And the cover? That classic picture!!!! I keep it in the living room, in its "lucky spot." I'm a superstitious guy.

 
At 11/10/2013 2:57 PM, Blogger David said...

Did HBO ever make this Faithful documentary? I just read the book about a year go and am hooked.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home