Friday, May 25, 2007

Memories Of The IMPOSSIBLE DREAM Season. 1967...The Boston Red Sox...Our Team....Part One Of Many....

I have a guest author who has been my best friend forever. His name is Jay T. We spent the magic that was and is the Boston Red Sox from way back when. And he has been nice enough to write about that wonderful 1967 season. This is just his first post here at Peter's Red Sox Forever, and I promise you that Jay will be back as a regular. Why? That's easy.....to remind us and let us live again that magical season. Through HIS words. And his unforgettable memories. The Red Sox had no business being as good as they were that year. But then these guys lept into our hearts. Forever.......Tony C. YAZ. Reggie Smith, Rico, Lonnie. I could go on, but I'll leave it up to Jay. And he'd love to read your comments! So now, part one....THE IMPOSSIBLE DREAM SEASON-1967. Memories of a Boston Red Sox Fan. Thank you Jay. I'll be back with a short comment, but right now, it's time to relive some sweet memories......

"I can hardly believe it's been 40 years since the unbelievable and totally miraculous '67 season. I was a 15 year old baseball fan without a favorite team. All the kids in MY world worshipped Mickey Mantle and the dreaded Yankees so as that summer unravelled I found my team.
I don't know how many of you will recall this, but I'll start at the end with a headline after the St. Louis Cardinals won Game 7 and broke my heart. It read "Julian Javier is a Jerk" (you have to substitute the letter H for J like Hoo-lian Ha-vier is a H-erk). That Cardinal team was filled with pretty big name players....BOB GIBSON, Tim McCarver, Lou Brock, and Curt Flood (who would become very famous a year or so later...more on him some other time). Javier was their light-hitting, great fielding second baseman who had the World Series of his lifetime and just killed us!!
I hated him and still cringe when I think about his name."

Peter here, and there's nothing I can add to this. Well, maybe one thing. Thank you Jay. Your memories are an absolute treasure. We'll all look forward to your next post about that oh so special year...1967. The year of Sgt. Pepper. The year of the Boston Red Sox. The year they came of age for so many of us, and made RSN what it is today. For ALL of us....
Please leave your comments for Jay......and thanks.

22 Comments:

At 5/25/2007 1:15 PM, Blogger Ian said...

Even though it is a little behind my time (born in 71), it is great to hear the stories from that season.

I will feature this tomorrow in my salute to bloggers.

 
At 5/25/2007 1:26 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thank you Ian...and Jay is just leaving you a comment...right now!

 
At 5/25/2007 1:31 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

And thanks!!!

 
At 5/25/2007 1:32 PM, Blogger JaySpay said...

Thanks Ian. Keep in mind I am a rookie at this. As I go along this year the recolllections will be even more detailed and heopefully you and othere readers will see a name or something that will strike a familiar note so to speak.

 
At 5/25/2007 1:33 PM, Blogger JaySpay said...

sorry for the poor spellcheck!!

 
At 5/25/2007 1:38 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Magic stuff, Jay. And Ian, as always, thanks!!!!!!!

 
At 5/25/2007 4:08 PM, Blogger Suldog said...

You know, it's funny but I've always remembered that "Hulian Havier" thing, too. Of course, my biggest heartbreak of that year ws Tony C. going down. He was my favorite player then - 10 years old and I wore his number 25 on my own uniform.

 
At 5/25/2007 4:18 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks Sul, and I'm sure Jay will be happy. You'll see his comments right here, soon...I'm sure he has his hands full...kids, his wonderful wife, and all that. Have a fun and peaceful weekend. Pete

 
At 5/25/2007 4:24 PM, Blogger JaySpay said...

Sul...sounds like you're a kindred spirit. Thanks for remembering Hulian Havier too!!

 
At 5/25/2007 5:27 PM, Blogger BklynSoxFan said...

Javier is probably best known for breaking up Jim Lonborg's no-hitter during Game 2 in the '67 Series. It was a double, the only hit STL got that day...

Thanks for sharing your memories, Jay. Looking forward to hearing more...

 
At 5/25/2007 5:31 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

GREAT post even though I am way to young to even know what you are talking about there:-)

And thanks for those reminders about tim mccarver!

 
At 5/25/2007 6:37 PM, Blogger Faithy said...

Just because I enjoy teasing poor Peter, lets take a look at the 1975 series. I was living in Boston back then, and was a very unpopular, though profitable series for me.

I'm an O's fan now, since I've settled in Baltimore, but a Lifelong Reds fan. Born & bred in Ohio, and my Uncle played for the team back in the 50s.

As a consolation the Reds beat out the Yankees in 1976. (The next year)

Ahh the good old days: thanks for the memories

 
At 5/25/2007 6:41 PM, Blogger JaySpay said...

I have one thing to say about 1975...BERNIE CARBO!!! People forget (maybe) that if he didn't hit his homer in Game 6, Pudge Fisk never hits his to win the game!!

Thanks Reds for letting Bernie come to Boston.

 
At 5/25/2007 6:58 PM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

Julian Javier would have a son in the Majors:

Gibby tried his hand at Broadcasting;

Orlando Cepeda was NL MVP;

Rico Petrocelli is from my native Brooklyn;

Tony C & that Black Eye continues to haunt me;

Ellie Howard was in the Series For The Impossible Dream Team;

Joe Foy was ours, from The Bronx @ 3rd;

& Tim Mc Carver continues to hold us hostage with his Dumb Comments on "FOX Saturday Baseball";

& Curt Gowdy was our TV Guy on NBC.

 
At 5/25/2007 7:07 PM, Blogger Faithy said...

Well I remember it fondl. I was living in Cambridge, (in Central Square) and realized after they won that I could have never covered all the little 2, 5 and 10 dollar bets I'd made. If you'd have won, I would have had to leave town, LOL

 
At 5/25/2007 7:28 PM, Blogger San Francisco Red Sox Fan said...

Nice post Peter. Although I'm too young to remember the '67 season it reminds me of my indoctrination into RSN in the '75 season. Looking forward to reading more...

 
At 5/25/2007 8:56 PM, Blogger laura said...

Wait a second...Tim McCarver actually played baseball? I always thought he was some dope who got the job.

On a more serious note, that was a very enjoyable post!

 
At 5/26/2007 7:16 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thank you everyone...and I know Jay had fun writing it, and STILL is having a ball reading and answering your comments. A future blogger? I wouldn't be surprised, but until then, look for him right here, weekly. AT LEAST! Keep 'em coming, Jay(spay)

 
At 5/26/2007 7:17 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Michael, priceless stuff.......

 
At 5/26/2007 8:26 AM, Blogger JaySpay said...

Michael, I think Stan Javier was his son...anyone remember him? I believe he was on Oakland at least for part of his career. If I am wrong please let me know...

 
At 5/26/2007 8:43 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

And Jayspay, Michael's blog is on my link list...just click on it! (Leggett)

 
At 5/26/2007 8:44 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

It's called RANDOM FANDOM.......

 

Post a Comment

<< Home