Friday, June 15, 2007

Memories Of The Boston Red Sox 1967....Part Four

As Peter said to me recently, I think it would be more interesting
for the readers to just recall some very special
memories and not worry so much about the chronology of
that very special season, circa 1967. The year the
baseball world woke up and noticed the Boston Red Sox
once again. After so many years. No Ted, just Yaz, and so many others! And as you will read in
the upcoming paragraphs by our blog buddy Jay,
there were so many teammates who overachieved and did everything possible to march
not only to a first place finish in the AL,
(remember, there were NO divisions) but to one darn
victory away from winning it all. They captured our hearts and our souls!! Read on for more of
Jay's thoughts, priceless memories of what was, and what
might be again. But it will never be the same as 1967.
We go back 40 years, with smiles of joy.....

"To that end, the Impossible Dream team had an array
of vagabond players, retreads and just plain average
ballplayers who did something special. One such
player---a familiar name for some of us,
was Jose Tartabull. He played for Seattle in
the 90's. Back in 1967, Jose Tartabull was a role
player for the Red Sox. Danny Tartabull is his son.
The elder Tartabull, as I recall, started with the
Kansas City Athletics (yes, that's right, Kansas
City!). I believe he also played for Cleveland and
perhaps a few others. He wasn't a good hitter but was
supposedly a decent fielder. He was part of a very
memorable moment in 1967. Let me set the scene........

The game was against, I believe, the Angels, maybe
the White Sox..... ...anyway, the Sox needed a win
badly and were protecting a 4 to 3 lead in the 9th
inning. I don't recall the batter but Tartabull was in
right field and a fly ball was hit to him. Ken Berry
was on 3rd and was considered a fast runner and always
a threat on the bases....I will let the immortal Red
Sox announcer Ken Coleman take it from
here..."Tartabull coming on..he's known for his weak
arm. Here's the throw to the plate (in the background
someone yells safe) but Coleman quickly comes back and
yells "OUT AT HOME!! Tartabull has thrown the runner
out at the plate..Sox win!!"

A huge moment, just because players that we never
expected to shine had their unbelievable days of
glory. A bunch of them. All in 1967. So MANY vital and
pivotal moments of heroics. And that's what made 1967
so very special! And why we were, just kids at the
time, so very happy.

This may seem like not a big deal, but it was a turning
point in 1967, as things began to go our way.
Tartabull had no business throwing out the fast Berry
on that play at the plate. But he DID!
One other thing...the 5 year old Danny Tartabull was
on the cover of the '67 yearbook as a participant in
the Father-Son game early that season. If memory
serves me right, he ran to 3rd base instead of 1st on
his time at the bat. But he was a kid, soon to be headed for baseball glory on his own.
Like father, like son.

And so it goes in life. For all of us. If not yet, it will!
As John Lennon wrote and sang about his then young son,
"Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, beautiful boy.
Darling, darling, darling, darling Sean."
And then this...so true, forever. The words will always bring tears to these old eyes of mine....
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
So true, John. And I cry, yet again. At this very moment. Thanks John.

Peter here, and thank you Jay. I admit I added a few
words, but your memories are downright priceless. I
thank you so much! These little tidbits about the
average players, they're the ones who confounded all
the baseball experts and fans. The Sox came one step,
ONE GAME away from a World Championship. Well, thats what
dreams are made of. And those '67 Sox made MY dreams,
and Jay's too, come true. And baseball was never the
same again. Not in Boston.

It's been 40 years now. That was the
summer of Sgt. Pepper, and THE year of the Red Sox.
And for me (Peter), and Jay, too, that will never
change. We are forever better because of that
wonderful 7 months of baseball, Red Sox style.

Thank's again, Jay. My readers, comments are so
welcome....Jay will be reading. That I promise you. GREAT
JOB, JAYSPAY. Great job '67 Sox. And thank you for
reading. May we rid ourselves of these hitting
woes and come out swinging. For Jay and me, and all of
you, have faith. And ALL of RSN, our nation.
FOREVER. Case closed. Now let's win 8 of 10!
Click on the title of this post for the complete boston Red Sox roster, thanks to say. Click away!

14 Comments:

At 6/15/2007 1:35 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Hello????? Hi all!!!!

 
At 6/15/2007 4:01 PM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

I remember Jose as a part-timer, but I never heard of that play in '67. That's really cool! As a former outfielder, I know anytime you cut down a guy at the plate, it's a great feeling ... especially if it's not expected.
Thanks Jay, for another episode of that great story.

 
At 6/15/2007 4:12 PM, Blogger JaySpay said...

You're welcome...I know it's not a huge thing but I'm trying to reach Ryan DiPietro's mom to find out if he's still in the KC organization or what?

Anyway, Jose was certainly very different than Danny...although Danny didn;t play as long as expected he did have some power. Jose had 2 HR's in his career.

 
At 6/15/2007 4:16 PM, Blogger JaySpay said...

Another neat thing that you really can't be appreciated in writing was that during that play the interruption with someone saying SAFE first and then the excitement when it was corrected to an OUT was just amazing. Again, Ken Berry is probably pretty forgettable asa player to RSN (my first time using that abbreviation) he will always be special

 
At 6/15/2007 4:16 PM, Blogger JaySpay said...

Another neat thing that you really can't be appreciated in writing was that during that play the interruption with someone saying SAFE first and then the excitement when it was corrected to an OUT was just amazing. Again, Ken Berry is probably pretty forgettable asa player to RSN (my first time using that abbreviation) he will always be special

 
At 6/15/2007 4:36 PM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

True, true. Going from the disappointment of SAFE to the exhilaration of OUT would be quite a quick jump of emotions.
The KC Royals say Ryan is 3-3 with the Class Low A Burlington Bees.

 
At 6/16/2007 2:53 AM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

great post jay cant say more cause i wasnt around:-)

 
At 6/16/2007 7:33 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks Jay, and thank you everyone for your great comments. I just know we'll be able to read Jay's part 5 next week. Day to be determined. Or as they say in baseball, TBA, use your ticket stubs for free admission.

 
At 7/09/2007 9:30 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Great blog guys, I'm in my early 50's and the Red Sox in 1967 changed my life forever. I have vivid memories of the 1967 season and my wife things I'm crazy...maybe so, but man, that was an amazing pennant race and a very ballsy team.

But I have to say, I remember very well that game in Chicago against the White Sox when Jose Tartabull threw out Ken Berry at home plate to save the win. It was the first game of a double header and the Sox very much needed the win. I was 11 years old with my family at a neighbor's house that Saturday afternoon and we were all watching the game, very intense and all the "grown ups" became rivited as the game wore on. At 11 years of age, I was rivited at the first pitch of the game.

I remember that Tartabull's throw to the plate was high and the catcher at the time was Elston Howard who leaped in the air, made the catch, and wrapped himself around Ken Berry before his slide as he came home, for the out.

Eddie Stanky, who was the manager for the White Sox, was furious, he argued with the ump as if the world was going to end! But Tartabull and Howard made the play and Berry was out. A huge win for the Sox! HUGE!

But the radio call, which I didn't hear at the time because it was on TV, was one of the great moments on the The Impossible Dream album. I just listened to it after I read the comments on your blog.

I am crazy, indeed. It was called by the great Ned Martin and it went like this:

"Josephson a right handed batter, Berry a fast man at third, Wyatt looks in, at him, and throws. There's a little blooper to right field, Tartabull coming on, has a weak arm...here comes the throw to the plate and it is...(and then someone says in the background: "He's out of there!")

He is out! Tartabull has thrown the runner out at the plate, and the ballgame is over!"

One of the great, and there were many, moments from the 1967 season.

 
At 7/10/2007 6:29 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

e, I just read your comment on this All Star Tuesday, and i too remember the great Ned Martin's call. Great comment!!!! Ned and Ken are my favorite announcers off all-time! MERCY!

 
At 7/10/2007 6:30 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

My last comment was directed to Mike!

 
At 7/10/2007 9:45 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Thanks for your response Peter. I guess you guys struck a nerve with me on your discussion on the '67 Sox.

Thinking of the Impossible Dream album, and it was as good and as important as The Beatles Sgt. Pepper at the time. At least to me!

I recall sometime, perhaps 25+ years ago when I lived in Quincy, Ma. A bunch of guys from work went to Kelly's Pub in North Quincy, long since changed names and owners. We were sitting there at the bar one Friday or Saturday night, drinking far too many beers, watching a Sox game when one of us mentioned the 1967 Sox.

Over the next hour or so, we were able to recite the entire Impossible Dream album, sometimes arguing over what came next, but I believe we recited the entire first side, the important side that covered the year.

The bartender was this wonderful lady, Bernie, who was from Dorchester and at one time she came over to us and said, somewhat laughing, that we were all sick. Our response was: Bernie, we'll have another round here."

Later, after we had finished our goal, she came back and said that one of her son's had played that "damned album" over and over again back in the day.

I think she enjoyed our drunken endeaver as much as we did.

 
At 7/11/2007 6:17 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Mike, I wish I could have been there!

 
At 7/11/2007 6:55 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

And I'm sure Jay does, too. It's been a while since we've heard from him here at PRSF. Hey Jayspay!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home