Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Another AL All Star Game Win......"Surgical Procedure" For Papi?

As in recent years, the AL continued their decade long mastery of the All Star Game with a 5-4 victory over the NL, assuring the AL team that makes it to the World Series the home team advantage. Papi and Manny went hitless and Mike Lowell contributed a single. The winning pitcher was none other than our very own Josh Beckett. Paps pitched a scoreless 8th and Oki Doke did not play. I'm sure he was honored to be there.....he sure looked happy! Baseball 2007 resumes tomorrow evening with a 4 game set against the always tough, at least for the last couple of years, Toronto Blue Jays.

In other news, I came across an article in this morning's Globe that mentioned the possibility of surgery (gulp!) for Big Papi in the off-season. At first I was mortified, but after reading the piece, I feel much better. Here it is, in its entirety..........

"Red Sox DH David Ortiz privately mentioned last weekend the possibility he might require a surgical procedure on his right knee, but because of the uncertainty surrounding his condition, he said he didn't want to say anything publicly until he knew more.
But yesterday, when asked specifically about his condition by the Boston Herald, Ortiz admitted he "probably" would need a procedure after the season.
Ortiz had said in Detroit over the weekend that the knee began to bother him last season after he twisted it while fielding bunts in batting practice at Yankee Stadium, a routine hitters follow before taking their cuts.
He said he got the knee tangled in some netting and twisted it, which was the cause of his problems.
"Some days it's good, some days it isn't," Ortiz said.
Ortiz entered the All-Star break batting .314 with 14 home runs and 52 RBIs, fine numbers but well off the 31 home runs and 87 RBIs he had at the break last season.
He did not attribute the decline in his performance to injuries, including hamstring and quadriceps problems.
"It's the way I'm being pitched," he said. "You just don't get anything to hit anymore."
Ortiz has hit just three home runs in Fenway Park, the last April 21."

Peter here. Three home runs at Fenway, and none since April 21? Wow, that took ME by surprise. We need a solid and more productive second half from Papi AND Manny, and others, to remain in first place. As MCW said in her comment from the preceding post, anything can happen, and usually does, but if the Sox can bring their hitting numbers up a couple notches, and Schill comes back healthy, willing and strong, the sky is the limit for the club we love to love. I hope they can do it.

Click on the title for more on last night's salute to Willy Mays, and all the game details. It was a fun night, and the NL almost pulled off a great comeback. Who knows, a little single in the bottom of the 9th and none other than Hideki Okajima might have been summoned to put out the fire, as only the Darkman can do. A wonderful Wednesday to all of you, my faithful readers, and, as always, I thank you for being here each and every day. I guess I don't know how to take a day off, nor do I want to. And that's so great!

9 Comments:

At 7/11/2007 10:46 AM, Blogger Carol Rally said...

Hi Peter - That was a good write-up! Of course in my heart I felt that the AL was going to win, but it was a close one; if I were the NL, I don't know if I would even want to go anymore lol. I felt bad that Okidoke didn't get to play, however he strikes me as the kind of guy who is just happy to be there - Good for him!

Enjoy the day off ;) ~Carol

 
At 7/11/2007 11:23 AM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

It was a fun game. I thought for sure that when Rodriquez was struggling to throw a strike in the ninth and a left-handed batter was up, we would get to see our Darkman emerge from the shadows of the bullpen and vanquish the enemy. But I'm sure he felt honored to just be there.

 
At 7/11/2007 12:47 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

You both are right..that's the way I felt...proud and happy!
Now.....the second half....and I' a little scared. But I scare easily........

 
At 7/11/2007 4:34 PM, Blogger Carol Rally said...

"But I scare easily" - Hope you don't see any bears instead of deer then outside your door ;)

 
At 7/11/2007 5:09 PM, Blogger Midnight Sun said...

i have a feeling that jim leyland didnt wanna play okajima simply because he does like the new japanese players on the redsox. remember his comment on daisuke when daisuke pitched against the tigers the first time?
ofcourse, i hate to think this way, but this might be a possibility.

 
At 7/11/2007 5:11 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

I've seen so many animals...mostly wild and lost. But thanks cc........I'll be OK.......have a great and cooler (I hope) afternoon. Thanks for looking out for me!!!!

 
At 7/11/2007 5:12 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

And midnight sun, I think leyland just wanted to end the game as quickly as he could, especially with the bases loaded in the 9th!

 
At 7/11/2007 5:31 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

HI peter,I am a little better today:)

 
At 7/12/2007 7:06 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Kaylee, when you say you are a LITTLE better, does that mean you're OK? When I only see a comment from you once in a while, I get worried. You're my number one favorite commenter....you know that!!! Be well......please.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home