Saturday, July 14, 2007

Missed Chances And Poor Pitching. Schilling Update

Julian Tavarez has become a liability to the starting rotation of the Boston Red Sox. He has failed to get out of the fifth inning in three of his last four starts, and hasn't won in recent memory while putting an unnecessary strain on the bullpen. When Schilling comes back (see article below), I say keep Gabbard, an effective lefty, in the rotation and banish Tavy to the 'pen, where he'll give us one or two good innings.....when needed.
Last night Tavy went four plus innings, giving up nine hits and four runs. He threw 101 pitches in those four plus innings, and that's way too much. The Sox led 2-0 after one on a Manny home run, but the Jays scored four big ones in the third inning to take the lead. But in the bottom of that frame, the Sox came back with three to take a 5-4 lead. But then Snyder, on in relief of Tavarez, opened the floodgates, leading to the last two runs of the game, and a 6-5 Blue Jays lead. That was the final score, even though Papi and Manny were up in the bottom of the ninth with the tying and winning runs on the bases. But they were unable to score as Papi flied to center, deep, and Manny lined to right. Turn the page. But this .500 baseball trend of the last 6 weeks must stop. NOW.

Here's some good news on Curt Schilling, who is so sorely missed as an integral part of the Red Sox rotation. This is from the Hartford Courant, and I thank them..........

"Curt Schilling threw more pitches than expected during a bullpen session Friday, another step toward him returning to Boston's rotation.
Throwing off a mound for the first time since going on the disabled list on June 19 with a tendinitis in his right shoulder, Schilling threw 55 pitches and worked on his entire repertoire.
Schilling was originally set to go 30-35 pitches, but felt strong in the workout before the Red Sox played Toronto.
"I feel better than I've felt, so I'm taking that as a positive and go from there," Schilling said. "I stopped because they told me to stop, not because I needed to."
The six-time All-Star is scheduled to throw another bullpen session and face batters Monday."

Peter here, and by next Saturday, just seven short days away, he should be ready for a rehab start with Pawtucket, and maybe five days after that, he could be back where he belongs, as our number two man in the rotation. If you do the math, that's less than two weeks away. He is sorely needed if the Red Sox want to stay where they are........and that's in first place. The rotation that I would like to see then? Beckett, Schilling, Matsuzaka, Wakes and Gabbard. Any comments??
Click on the title for the Globe's Red Sox Notebook, with more on Curt Schilling. Enjoy your weekend!!

8 Comments:

At 7/14/2007 7:19 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

(This comment is reprinted from yesterday's post...to Kaylee).

KAYLEE...I just read your comment. Please let me (us) know when. If you're scared, which is perfectly normal, come to one of your favorite blogs and talk. I wish you the best, I say a prayer for you every night before bed, and I know everything will be OK. I just KNOW it. And sometimes I know things before they happen!!!! A little scary, knowing stuff before it happens. Your blog friend Peter. Please stay in touch...you can comment here or leave me an email thru my profile. Be well, be happy, and know that all your friends in blogland are thinking of you. Always. Peter, blog friend to my favorite commenter, and that's you!

 
At 7/14/2007 8:19 AM, Blogger Kevin Scalley said...

Jon Lester??

 
At 7/14/2007 8:22 AM, Blogger Ian said...

I agree. I think it's Lester time.

 
At 7/14/2007 8:33 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Hi FB and Ian. And I don't think so....not yet, although I'd love to see him soon. KB has been good, way better than Tavy....we need Schill back, and then the number five guy will be an easier decision. Don'tcha think???

 
At 7/14/2007 8:37 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

I love Jon Lester more than anyone, as much as you do. But......well, we'll see. First things first...SCHILL!!!! But Tavy putting that strain on our excellent bullpen. No, no way. Not now. Not this season.......

 
At 7/14/2007 8:44 AM, Blogger Carol Rally said...

I agree that Schill is sorely missed & needed. Not from a medical standpoint, but his return can't come soon enough! Also, the way the Manny/Papi scenario went in the 9th was a bummer. As the fans came to their feet, you could see that they were counting on them to pull out the win (what a shame)!

 
At 7/14/2007 8:54 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

CC, so right. I was bummed, and couldn't wait for Saturday morning to begin. Today? Another day...two straight wins to come.

 
At 7/15/2007 7:07 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Saturday night made it all better. Delcarmen is lights out!!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home