Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Remember After You Read This...I'm NOT The Enemy!!!

But I will give you my opinion on this commentary from MSNBC online. It has to do with the pennant races, and this excerpt is all about the AL East. My comments (be kind!) will follow........

OPINION
By Michael Ventre
MSNBC contributor
Updated: 10:04 p.m. ET July 8, 2007

*RED SOX ONLY TEAM WITH A LOCK ON THE POSTSEASON*

Michael Ventre

"Now that more pressing matters such as which sluggers passed up the Home Run Derby or why the Supreme Court failed to meddle in Barry Bonds’ late voting surge like it did in the 2000 presidential election are off the radar, it’s time to focus on the races.
No, I’m not talking about our inherent differences as humans, but rather the division races in baseball. At this time of year, they can be just as much of a hot-button topic.
The All-Star break is a chance for everyone involved to collect their breath, relax, count their money and complain about why they’re not featured more often on “Baseball Tonight.” But really the key issues involve teams vying for the postseason. In that regard, there figures to be some feisty maneuverings in the coming weeks.
It might be easier to begin with the one race that isn’t one. The Boston Red Sox appear to be moving like Secretariat at the Belmont Stakes. Despite some recent sputtering — the piping-hot Tigers completed a sweep of the Red Sox on Sunday, who have now lost eight of 13 overall — Boston still has a formidable 10-game lead in the American League East, and it has the pitching to hold off the rest of the division."

Peter here.....and here I go. Bulls*it!!! If the Red Sox, the team I love, continues to "sputter," winning one of every two games, ANYTHING is possible. I hate to say this, but with Clemens and Wang, the Yankees have two dependable starters, just like the Sox have. Moose and Pettitte? Here, and then not. Igawa....fuggit about it! The Yankees do have the lumber firepower, and that's what scares me. Will Schill be back, and healthy? If so, the AL East IS a lock. The Sox have to pick it up a notch. I think Michael Ventre, the author of this piece, has forgotton that it's not August. YET

Read his full article by clicking on this post's title. And your comments? Please.....I need to hear from you!

4 Comments:

At 7/10/2007 5:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As pissed off as it usually makes people when I say this...I lived through 1978. Yes, I know the circumstances are COMPLETELY different now, but it doesn't wipe away that primal feeling that all of this, at any time, could be ripped away. One significant injury could do it!
Having said that, I DON'T think it will happen this year, but...it ain't over 'til it's over.

 
At 7/11/2007 6:51 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Hi MCW....I remember SO well watching the '78 playoff game, almost as if it were just a couple years ago. And I also remember how our Sox dug in and refused to lose in the latter third of that fateful and faithful September. I remember the deflation, the utter despair, and not just on Yaz' face and sagged body as he went down almost to his knees as Bucky F****** Dent's fly ball cleared the Wall.
But now?? It's 2007, not 1978. With a little more hitting and a healthy Schill, we should be OK. I 've been listening for a fat lady who can sing, but that's a couple months away.
Loved your comment!

 
At 7/11/2007 10:33 AM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

Peter, I'm totally on board with you ... I wouldn't even read the article when I saw the headline. Sox fans have seen too many promising seasons go down the drain. Maybe to an outsider it looks like a runaway in the AL East, but to say it's a lock is utter nonsense.

There are many pitfalls along the way and our team is doing the best they can to avoid them. Recently I saw where we have the same record that we had last year and we all know the disappointing finish of 2006. You are taking the correct stance on this with your realistic and optimistic viewpoint. When the magic number is zero and we have clinched, then we're a lock.

 
At 7/11/2007 10:38 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

But remember, I'm Mr. Optimistic.....I don't predict doom, i just know our team! And we're not running on all cylinders..........yet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home