Saturday, October 20, 2007

There's NO Place Like Home.....

We have to HOPE there's no place like home, for shortly after 8PM EDT Saturday night, the Cleveland Indians will battle the Boston Red Sox in a do or die 6th game of the 2007 American League Championship Series. Elton John said in a long ago song that "Saturday Night's All Right For Fighting," and that's what these opponents will be doing on the field of dreams between the lines at the Fens. It will be the Indian's Fausto Carmona versus the veteran Curt Schilling. Schill had this to say yesterday for the members of the media....

"There’s always fear,” he said yesterday. “I mean, I’m scared to death to go out and fail (tonight). I’m terrified of letting my teammates down and the fan base down and this organization down, because they’re counting on me to survive and to get past another day.
“I’m scared to death to not do well (tonight),” he repeated, in the event someone in the back of the room, talking on a cell phone, hadn’t heard him the first time. “But I’m also very cognizant of the fact that fear is something that has always driven me and always pushed me.”

Peter here, and whatever works for you, Curt, let it work! The fastball now tops out at 88-89 MPH, but with his plate location and deadly, when it's working, splitter/cutter, he should be OK. He was pitching with a lot less stuff on that night 3 years ago when the bloody sock took center stage, and the team is asking everyone attending the game tonight at Fenway Park to wear red, to set the mood and show any Indians' fans just who's boss. And that's the Boston Red Sox.

Click on the title of this post for the Herald's Tony Massarotti's look at the home field advantage and the two games remaining here at Friendly Fenway, OUR field of dreams. His piece is titled "NO PLACE LIKE HOME." We have to HOPE there'll be two games left. And then, well, one step at a time, and that first step will be a giant step, with a veteran who has the best postseason stats for a pitcher as anyone has ever compiled. I have faith, Constant Reader, and I know you do, too. We'll build on that faith and ride on the back and right arm of Curt Schilling, our once ace, right into game 7. I JUST KNOW IT! Enjoy your Saturday. Settle in, buckle your seatbelts, let the pets out to "do their thing," make sure the kids are OK and be ready for anything at 8PM tonight. GO SOX! FOREVER!

6 Comments:

At 10/20/2007 11:51 AM, Blogger Middle Relief said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 10/20/2007 11:53 AM, Blogger Middle Relief said...

Tonight's game 6 is what the playoffs are all about. What a great pitching match-up for a big game!

If it goes to game 7, how comfortable are you with the prospect of Dice-K taking the mound? Would you rather see JB go on short rest instead?

 
At 10/20/2007 4:59 PM, Blogger lauren said...

Welp, that's just proof. Great minds do think alike! Haha, it was the best thing I could think of because it really did sum up all I had to say. And thanks for the review too. =)

Responding to middle relief's comment, I think I'd rather Beckett pitch on short rest. Daisuke's given us not much of a reason to trust him with big playoff games. And if Becks pitches, it'll definitely only be a few innings. I think they'd put a bunch of guys in. Plus, he said he's ready to go, he's just waiting for the call. But I say, let's just get through tonight's game!

 
At 10/21/2007 1:15 AM, Blogger laura said...

Schilling was everything we needed. So very impressive. Huge momentum going into Game 7!!

 
At 10/21/2007 6:57 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

MR, two days rest?? No way! Lonnie tried that in 1967....Daisuke will come up huge Sunday night...remember I said that...rub it in my face if I'm wrong, because I won't be. And yes, Saturday night was fun.

 
At 10/21/2007 7:02 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Lauren, remember, two days rest (Josh last pitched on Thursday) is not enough for anyone unless they're from Krypton. Nice to hear from you, and I know you'll be watching, and cheering, and jumping up and down tonight. Just like I was last night.
Laura, hi. Huge is so right, and I'm SO happy. You are too....I KNOW IT! Go Daisuke, GO SOX! Thanks, all of you...Peter, early on a Sunday morning, bleary-eyed but deliriously happy. And proud.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home